Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Familiar with the Chevy HHR? - Buying this weekend

Mass_SkinsFan

I reciently drove a Honda Pilot and you want to talk about clown car, what a joke.

I'm not a big fan of those either. Ridgeline is awful too.

As great a CAR as Honda makes... they really suck at SUV's and Trucks.

This is a much nicer car in that same price range, if you absolutely must buy American

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fusion/

KB... I stated reasons above. I've had HHR's as rental cars a few times. it is TERRIBLE. Seriously.

I need a wagon, but I am truely done with Ford. I work on to many cars to condone the things they do. I'll keep my 80' Bronco and my T-bucket project, but I'll never buy a new Ford again.

My Dad just bought a new Grand Prix (it's his fourth in a row) with the 5.3L and AWD, with paddle shift and hot damn, that car rocks!

I need a wagon, but I am truely done with Ford. I work on to many cars to condone the things they do. I'll keep my 80' Bronco and my T-bucket project, but I'll never buy a new Ford again.

Really... like what? I've always had great luck.

My father in law designs automation (i.e. machines that assemble vehicles) for several of the major auto manufacturers... he is very complimentary of Ford in that regard. He has never owned anything GM has ever made, though :)

But right now he's driving a Toyota if that tells you anything :laugh:

Toyota fan here too. Except the wife is driving a Nissan cause she liked their convertible. She had a Mustang before that and it honestly sucked. I called it the bucket of bolts because of all the rattles.

This is a much nicer car in that same price range, if you absolutely must buy American

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fusion/

zoony, that's not even the same classification of vehicle. The HHR is a crossover. The Fusion is a sedan. For some of us a sedan doesn't work.

The other vehicles (relative equivelants) I'm looking at are....

Jeep Patriot/Compass/Liberty

Dodge Caliber/Nitro

Ford Edge

Saturn Vue

zoony, that's not even the same classification of vehicle. The HHR is a crossover. The Fusion is a sedan. For some of us a sedan doesn't work.

The other vehicles (relative equivelants) I'm looking at are....

Jeep Patriot/Compass/Liberty

Dodge Caliber/Nitro

Ford Edge

Saturn Vue

I like the Liberty/Patriot out of that group.

Right now it's about 15 miles each way. In another 18 months it could be over 50 miles each way.

You might consider a Ford Escape Hybrid. If you have a long commute and have the right tax situation it could be soemthing to consider.

You might consider a Ford Escape Hybrid. If you have a long commute and have the right tax situation it could be soemthing to consider.

Sorry, not in the price range, and it's too small. It's actually smaller than the HHR (cargo-wise) and the HHR is about as small as I can go in that regard.

I like the Liberty/Patriot out of that group.

With current incentives, you could get a liberty for not much more than a patriot. You'll pay for it in Milage though.

i've got a patriot. I get about 25-27mpg on average depending on the driving conditions.

With current incentives, you could get a liberty for not much more than a patriot. You'll pay for it in Milage though. i've got a patriot. I get about 25-27mpg on average depending on the driving conditions.

Thanks for your PM as well. Unfortunately I do a lot more city driving than highway these days so, as much as it drives me nuts, mpg is going to be a huge deciding factor in this. Besides, current incentives are not likely to be around when I make the purchase in 5-8 months.

I've had the HHR as a rental several times and was actually impressed. Obviously it's not a luxury sedan but for what it is, it drove well, got good mileage and IMHO looks much cooler than the PT Cruiser. And BTW, I've had a PT Cruiser as a rental as well and HATED it. The HHR is more comfortable, rides better and all the controls are easier to get to(except the window controls as MSF said. That takes getting used to).

Really... like what? I've always had great luck.

My father in law designs automation (i.e. machines that assemble vehicles) for several of the major auto manufacturers... he is very complimentary of Ford in that regard. He has never owned anything GM has ever made, though :)

It tells me a lot.:)

They might be easy to make, but damn do they suck to fix. Ford has always been one step ahead of Snap On, that's for sure. They need almost as many specialized tools as Mercedes, Triumph and Saab(the largest nugget of crap to ever grace the garage).

My 01' F-150 with 81K on it has been fairly good to me seeing as how I use it.

For a few years, Ford only put three threads in the new aluminum heads, as opposed to 7 or 8 like every other car, ever. That resulted in me buying a $600 tool from Snappy, but got me out of pulling the heads.

With a Ford, you know ball joints are an annual job if you ever drive off road, even if it's not abusive.

Somehow, despite 28 years of doing it, they still haven't figured out a way to build a decent overdrive automatic trans. From the E4OD/AOD to the AXODE, they still won't accept defeat and just outsource the job like GMC and MOPAR have. Why Ford, Why?

6 hours book rating to do a plug change, really Ford? 6 frickin' hours? I did it in 2, but that's besides the point.

One of the selling points about driving a pick up is the parts avalibilties. Well, for an example, light duty Ford pick ups have 17 frickin' options and most are not interchangeable.

I slipped my timing chain while towing, because I didn't relize you had to put piss vinager thin oil in the motor because the oiling hole is smaller that a pin head, good planning there. That should help make my motor last.

I know all cars have problems, but come on. Why all the odd ball crap. Half the trans bolts on the new Exploders and Rangers are facing the engine. Why? There is no reason for it.

I swear Ford does what I've always suspected Saab does. Take a look at what everybody else does (regardless of if it works or not) and says "lets just change that".

Sorry, rant over.

I've had the HHR as a rental several times and was actually impressed. Obviously it's not a luxury sedan but for what it is, it drove well, got good mileage and IMHO looks much cooler than the PT Cruiser. And BTW, I've had a PT Cruiser as a rental as well and HATED it. The HHR is more comfortable, rides better and all the controls are easier to get to(except the window controls as MSF said. That takes getting used to).

Thanks for the opinion, Mint. I know the '07 HHR's had some handling issues, but supposedly they've fixed a lot of it for '08 with the new stability and traction control systems. I didn't drive the car all that far the other night but it seemed to handle nicely to me.

Thanks for the opinion, Mint. I know the '07 HHR's had some handling issues, but supposedly they've fixed a lot of it for '08 with the new stability and traction control systems. I didn't drive the car all that far the other night but it seemed to handle nicely to me.

NP. I drove a loop from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa to Orlando and back to Ft. Laud. so it was a lot of highway miles and it definitely surpassed my expectations. Good luck with whatever purchase you make.

Mass,

they lose value like crazy if you're really interested shoot me a PM and let me find you one thats a year used with good mileage thats a florida car, save you some big dollars.

Thanks for the offer, Orlando, but I'm really trying to look at new. If you're not a big fan or the HHR, what might you suggest as an alternative in that price range (I can probably go up to about $25K plus tax/title/reg) that is American and fits the Crossover/Small to mid-sized SUV market.

If you're looking for an 08 in 6 months they'll be some hitting the used market with about 10k on them. Save yourself the depreciation believe me it ain't worh it.

If you're looking for an 08 in 6 months they'll be some hitting the used market with about 10k on them. Save yourself the depreciation believe me it ain't worh it.

It's a question of depriciation versus the wear of somebody beating on the vehicle because they know they're not going to keep it any period of time. I've owned four cars now. Three used and one new. I'm not really interested in going used again. Besides, if I was looking used, I'd be looking at a mid to full sized SUV not a smaller vehicle.

Thanks for the offer, Orlando, but I'm really trying to look at new. If you're not a big fan or the HHR, what might you suggest as an alternative in that price range (I can probably go up to about $25K plus tax/title/reg) that is American and fits the Crossover/Small to mid-sized SUV market.

Ford Edge with rebates, Obviously Jeep products. And never forget the number one thing about buying a vehicle, if you're happy with your purchase, thats all that truly matters.

Edit: And if you go with Ford a very good friend of mine owns a Ford dealership here.

I know this car wasn't on your list, but another to maybe think about is a Subaru Outback. As a wagon/pretend x-over, it does sit lower than those others. But you could still have your AWD and it has some cargo room (though maybe slightly less). I have to believe the mileage would be comparable or better.

Ford Edge with rebates, Obviously Jeep products. And never forget the number one thing about buying a vehicle, if you're happy with your purchase, thats all that truly matters.

Edit: And if you go with Ford a very good friend of mine owns a Ford dealership here.

Ok. I still haven't taken a look at the Edge yet. I wasn't even actually intending at looking at the HHR. I was intending to look at the Equinox when I got to the dealership. I walked up to it and just went.... "Ewww is that ugly." The HHR was sitting right next to it and I didn't even know what it was (it was one of the cargo models). My roommate asked what it was and things went from there.

I'm aware that it's what I want that's most important. If not, I'd be looking at minivans, like my roommates think I should be. :laugh: Again, thanks for the info and offer. If I do go Ford, I'll let you know.

I know this car wasn't on your list, but another to maybe think about is a Subaru Outback. As a wagon/pretend x-over, it does sit lower than those others. But you could still have your AWD and it has some cargo room (though maybe slightly less). I have to believe the mileage would be comparable or better.

Unfortunately I can't find Subaru in the list of American car companies, which is an immediately disqualifying factor for me. Otherwise I would definitely be looking at it.

Archived