Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McShay Mock 6.0

[[ghost]]

WOW! Jordy in round 2? A bit of a surprise but we could do a lot worse. After reading his profile, Merling is sounding more and more like Phillip Daniels, Kenard Land or Renaldo Wynn......a guy who won't be a great pass rusher but plays the run well and can move inside in a pinch.

I'd prefer the Bucs take DeSean Jackson and leave Devin Thomas to us if everything else plays out like this, and I pray it doesn't.

How many mock drafts are going to be done. At this point it think that half the players in the draft have been projected to go to the Skins in some round. I have never been a big fan of Todd McShay. I find him to be annoying and even more annoying is his man crush on Matt Ryan.

I haven't seen much of Merling, so I don't know if he would be a good pick for us. I looked at his film on Rivals and he seems really good against the run, but most of his QB pressures were after bad snaps in the rivals highlights.

Fine with me - I was going to move Jordy to the second also but who knows with all the Chad Johnson chatter happening. I'd be perfectly fine with keeping all nine picks - that's the right thing to do anyway IMO.

Keeping them is fine, but lets spend them on worthy players.

All of my Limas Sweed bias aside, there are better options at 21 and 51 for us.

Instead of a DE with a pass-rush deficiency, we could have drafted James Hardy or Kenny Phillips instead. Or traded down for a team if they desired either DeSean Jackson or Brian Brohm (assuming that someone actually wanted those two badly enough).

Instead of a reach in the 2nd Round, we could have drafted Pat Lee, Reggie Smith, Trevor Laws, or Quentin Groves instead. And while Groves is supposedly set on being a LB in a 3-4, his pass rush skill is unmatched in this draft. Drafting a one-dimensional player is silly in the 1st, but its acceptable in the 2nd, if said player's skills are that good.

How many mock drafts are going to be done. At this point it think that half the players in the draft have been projected to go to the Skins in some round. I have never been a big fan of Todd McShay. I find him to be annoying and even more annoying is his man crush on Matt Ryan.

I haven't seen much of Merling, so I don't know if he would be a good pick for us. I looked at his film on Rivals and he seems really good against the run, but most of his QB pressures were after bad snaps in the rivals highlights.

Well, the status of the draft changes regularly, and very often. Although I guess more people could do their Mocks like Scott Wright, and just do them after a substantial amount of draft shift. Wright pretty much waits till his current draft is considered silly because of players rising and falling, and then changes it.

Looking at what many people on the boards have written, it seems like the Redskins' most urgent needs are finding:

1.) a future replacement at defensive end for Philip Daniels.

2.) a future split end/red zone possession receiver

3.) a future replacement at OG for Pete Kendall

4.) a cornerback to play nickel immediately and eventually replace Shawn Springs

Looking over draft projections, I don't think it is at all plausible to fill all four of these needs with the team's first four picks in the draft this year. The team will have to bite the bullet in one of these areas and try and fill effectively three of the needs (hopefully) through the draft. Of course the team should draft the BPA at any of these positions. But for the sake of speculation, I started wondering, "Which of these needs can the Redskins most afford to ignore in their first three picks in the draft this year?" All circumstances equal, I think Cornerback is the least pressing need. After all, Springs still played at a fairly high level last year and the team has atleast two starters for day 1 in him and Smoot. Rogers will come back, and the team can acquire Springs's replacement next year. I think the desire for a CB and over-valuation of it's urgency of need comes from these reasons:

1.) Teams often have a kind of knee-jerk reaction that they try and band-aid whenever a starter gets seriously injured. (The T.J. Duckett trade case in point)

2.) The team is frightened of the presence of Elite receivers and quality Quarterbacks within the division.

3.) There is an impressive depth and quality of 1st-3rd round CB prospects in this specific draft making it, along with OT, one of the two best positions available this year.

Of these reasons, only the third one seems to be a valid or reasonable reason for overemphasizing the cornerback position as a need position. I think that we should relax the push to draft a Corner in the first 3 rounds, and we should only do so if a corner prospect is available that is substantially better than the other DL/OL/WR prospects at that position.

Fine with me - I was going to move Jordy to the second also but who knows with all the Chad Johnson chatter happening. I'd be perfectly fine with keeping all nine picks - that's the right thing to do anyway IMO.

Hey CB- whats the deal with Merlings sports hernia ??

As to the mock draft, kinda sick, but hey, everybody has an opinion, and when it comes to the draft, anything can happen.

Besides, I cant see Sweed dropping to #29, I would have to think the Titans would jump on him if he's available.

I like the idea of trading out of #21 to pick up an additional second rounder.

Then reaching for Jordy would not be too bad of a second round pick.

I'd be more than happy with that

and we can grab Roy schuening in round 3.

giving us 3 potential future starters.

schuening could take over for kendall in 09 or if kendall falters/or O-line injuries in 08

nelson can split time with ARE @ #2/#3 in 08,ARE would start but move to slot with nelson on the field

and

Merling would split reps with philip daniels and andre carter.

Hey CB- whats the deal with Merlings sports hernia ??

Garbage (fully healed and happened some time ago) according to Mayock and Charles Davis both opinions of whom I trust. Merling is an all around DE and would be a nice fit IMO. His pass rush is underrated and he is strong against the run. Merling is not someone I would personally put in the 'reach' category and no way in hell would I take a WR in the first round of this draft.

DE is deep in this class so we could go with Jones in the 3rd, Ellis or Jackson who I'm not quite as high on. I'd be pretty happy with Balmer too - perhaps he could be our Justin Tuck or Kendall Lang. Our D line needs work and I'm glad Blache is making a case for it and apparently a strong one. Cason could be the pick also - he strongly reminds me of Rogers and is a Thorpe winner also.

Of these reasons, only the third one seems to be a valid or reasonable reason for overemphasizing the cornerback position as a need position. I think that we should relax the push to draft a Corner in the first 3 rounds, and we should only do so if a corner prospect is available that is substantially better than the other DL/OL/WR prospects at that position.

I like your analysis, but I almost think that this is more applicable to the OL positions than CB, although not by too much.

Our O-Line is good for next year at least, but we will definitely need to begin finding replacements for Kendall and probably Jansen and Raubach at that point.

The problems with the O-Line got magnified last year because Jansen got hurt bad and then a week later Thomas had a freak tricep injury, and our line adapted pretty well, all things considered. Depth is certainly an issue, but one that we can address in the later rounds. I think the FO is on board with this as well, considering the fact that we signed Fabini and didn't take a crack at any depth-grade CBs in free agency.

The better CBs will be gone by Round 3 though, as opposed to relatively comparable G/C/OT.

Looking at what many people on the boards have written, it seems like the Redskins' most urgent needs are finding:

1.) a future replacement at defensive end for Philip Daniels.

2.) a future split end/red zone possession receiver

3.) a future replacement at OG for Pete Kendall

4.) a cornerback to play nickel immediately and eventually replace Shawn Springs

Looking over draft projections, I don't think it is at all plausible to fill all four of these needs with the team's first four picks in the draft this year. The team will have to bite the bullet in one of these areas and try and fill effectively three of the needs (hopefully) through the draft. Of course the team should draft the BPA at any of these positions. But for the sake of speculation, I started wondering, "Which of these needs can the Redskins most afford to ignore in their first three picks in the draft this year?" All circumstances equal, I think Cornerback is the least pressing need. After all, Springs still played at a fairly high level last year and the team has atleast two starters for day 1 in him and Smoot. Rogers will come back, and the team can acquire Springs's replacement next year. I think the desire for a CB and over-valuation of it's urgency of need comes from these reasons:

1.) Teams often have a kind of knee-jerk reaction that they try and band-aid whenever a starter gets seriously injured. (The T.J. Duckett trade case in point)

2.) The team is frightened of the presence of Elite receivers and quality Quarterbacks within the division.

3.) There is an impressive depth and quality of 1st-3rd round CB prospects in this specific draft making it, along with OT, one of the two best positions available this year.

I really like the way you are looking at this but I do think we can fill all of those needs.

In the first round, there isn't a WR worthy of the draft pick. DEs worthy of the pick are Harvey and Merling but Harvey will be gone and Merling may be as well. Brandon Albert is the only guard worth this draft position but will probably be gone. That leaves us with CB. CB is very strong particularly in the first two rounds. I think it thins out significantly in the third. With a little luck we can get Talib here or maybe settle for Cason.

In the second, the only DEs worth drafting are Campbell and Jackson but both are probably gone. Offensive line is very deep in this draft and guards will be available in the third. That leaves WR. Jordy Nelson will likely be the only candidate worth a look in the second and I can live with that. I feel most comfortable with Jordy being at least a solid WR than any other. He may never be elite but he will be good.

In the third, we can go guard and take Schuening or McGlynn. Both are looking to be drafted in the third. Hopefully, one makes it to us.

Our compensatory pick can go to Johnston out of Gardner Webb.

That takes care of all the holes you are looking to get filled.

I agree with your post and that would be a terriffic scenario if it happened, and it seems to me that the most likely way for it too is for us to trade out of the first round and try and get another two seconds or another second and a third round pick. But it is hard to predict trades, and assuming that there isn't one, I can't see how the team can get all of those players even with the compensatory pick. This draft order has really changed with the pro-days, and it looks like jordy nelson will go in the late second round to very early third. If the team lands Merling at 21, if it wants Nelson it will have to use round 2, and then our first round 3 has to go to Schuenning assuming he will still be around by that point. That leaves the compensatory pick in 3 for a Corner, and I have no idea if anyone good will be available. On the other hand, the team picks Talib in round 1, Nelson in 2, and Scuenning in 3, making DE the odd position out. Or the team drafts Talib in 1, forgoes Nelson in 2 and drafts Lawrence Jackson, and picks up Schuenning in 3. That leaves WR out.

Either way, I think some position is going to be put on the backburner, and I would rather it be CB than any of the others unless the team lands a complete steal at the position in one of their first three picks. They've already invested so much into the secondary, and it will take a lot longer to replace the OL than it will the Corners, so that I think the FO should start earlier if they can.

Archived