Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How in the heck do you break in MLB hats?

NDSkinsguy

Okay, now that New Era has ditched the wool and gone polyester, how do you break in official fitted MLB hats? Due to the new material, the water trick no longer works as polyester won't shrink; besides simply wearing it for an extremely long time, are there any solutions to avoid looking like a locomotive engineer?

By "water trick", do you mean putting the brim in a pint glass or getting it real wet and putting a rubber band around it?

I'm just talking about getting it wet and then it molding to the shape of your head by wearing it while it dries; that was the nice thing about the wool. When these hats are new they just look awful (on me, anyway) since they sit so stinking high up on the head.

And I'm definitely not a Yankee guy. :)

just wear it alot and put a slight curve in the bill. dont overdo the curve because it will happen naturally..

I dont know if they use the same company on the east coast but we use fitynine fifty as the hat company..

i just picked up a sick brown hat with the state shape of CA on it with the SD logo in the middle all in orange.

I'm just talking about getting it wet and then it molding to the shape of your head by wearing it while it dries; that was the nice thing about the wool. When these hats are new they just look awful (on me, anyway) since they sit so stinking high up on the head.

And I'm definitely not a Yankee guy. :)

Good,may your death be quick and silent

:laugh:

I read somewhere else something about cutting the mesh in the front to break it in; does that work?

i tried that. it is a PAIN. i got like 90% through and then poked a hole through the front. ugh, it was such a sweet hat too.

i hate the way they make the fitted hats now, they are so damn stiff. its for the hip-hop look...

Taking the white interior meshing works pretty wekk. Get a knife or scissors and rub against that thread till it loosens, then pull it from the exterior shell and cut it out. There are these black plastic fibers that run through the hat as well, either cut them out or yank them out with your teeth. If you cut them out, the ends of the fibers may still be in the stitching on the side and can poke your head.

Soak the hat under a faucet, wring it out as best you can, then wear it as it dries. That's pretty much it.

The only problem with the bew (black underbill) Authentic hats is that they are made of polyester that won't shrink like the old wool ones. Taking out the white part will help with the high sides of the hat, but you still will have to wear it awhile to get it really broken in.

Yea I just recentely bought an authentic Braves hat and was mad when I found out they changed it to Polyester. I use to just exercise while wearing the hat and the sweat would shrink it to fit. Now about all you can do is put rubber bands around the brim like most have said on here.

Archived