Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2008 Wonderlic scores of potential draftees...

Joe Sick

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=282592

Some names that I have heard as potential draftees...

Owen Schmitt 24/30

Brandon Albert 23

Quentin Groves 25/38

Darrell Robertson 30/33

Brian Johnston 16/31

Kenny Iwebema 22/28

Chris Ellis 14/22

Chris Long 34/45

Glenn Dorsey 21/26

Antoine Cason 16/28

Tracy Porter 4/23

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 19/38

Leodis McKelvin 13/34

Chevis Jackson 15/30

Charles Godfrey 11/28

D.J. Parker 13/28

DeJuan Tribble 18/33

Travis Williams 4/19

Terrence Wheatley 21/38

-------------

And an article talking about the Wonderlic, with sample test...

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/10014874

I took the sample test and it has nothing to do with football.

It's arithmetic, simple multiplication and division -- some reading comprehension.

I got the questions right but I have no idea what this is supposed to prove.

And no, contrary to the poster above, it has nothing to do with "intelligence" from what I can tell.

Wow, those questions are made for "Are you smarter than..."

I can't believe an agent can't get all their clients to score in the 30s on that test.

Do I think this test really matters for football? No.

But it's sad as heck that these players all aren't scoring better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic

The Wonderlic Personnel Test is an intelligence test primarily known for being administered to prospective employees for the purposes of recruitment, placement, development and retention.[1] The Wonderlic is a twelve-minute, fifty-question exam to assess aptitude for learning a job and adapting to solve problems for employees in a wide range of occupations. The score is calculated as the number of correct answers given in the allotted time. A score of 20 is intended to indicate average intelligence (corresponding to an intelligence quotient of 100; a rough conversion is accomplished via the following formula: IQ = 2WPT + 60). A new version was released in Jan, '07 called the Wonderlic Personnel Test - Revised. It contains updated questions more appropriate to the 21st century.
Use in NFL

The Wonderlic test has become best known for its use in NFL pre-draft assessments of prospective football players.

This assessment roughly corresponds to examples from Paul Zimmerman's The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football. According to Zimmerman, examples of average scores for each position are:

Pat McInally, a graduate of Harvard University, is the only football player to record a confirmed perfect score of 50.[citation needed]

Ryan Fitzpatrick, a Harvard graduate like McInally, had also been rumored to have scored a perfect score of 50, in only nine minutes.[2] However, he later claimed to have left at least one of the 50 answer spaces blank [2], leading the media to question his perfect score.[3] The Wall Street Journal later reported that Fitzpatrick's actual score was 38 (still considered excellent), but that Fitzpatrick's claim of completing the Wonderlic in only nine minutes was accurate.

[edit] Average scores for ordinary people

While an average football player usually scores around 20 points, Wonderlic, Inc. claims a score of at least 10 points suggests a person is literate [3]. Furthermore, when the test was given to miscellaneous people of various professions, it was observed that the average participant scored a 24. Examples of scores from everyday professions included:

I think just as much can be inferred from how many question they answered as how many they got right. (That's the second number in the figures.)

50 questions in 300 seconds, or about 6 seconds a question. It is supposed to replicate quick decision making.

Not sure how well it really works, but I've heard the Giants put a lot of faith in it...

Wow, those questions are made for "Are you smarter than..."

I can't believe an agent can't get all their clients to score in the 30s on that test.

Do I think this test really matters for football? No.

But it's sad as heck that these players all aren't scoring better.

From the same wikipedia link as I quoted before...

A fan-made abbreviated version of the test is available [5]. While the test is not nearly as complex as the original Wonderlic Test, it follows most of the same concepts. After finishing the test, one can compare one's results with those of NFL players.

A condensed version of the Wonderlic test appears in newer editions of the Madden NFL video game series. The Madden version of the test plays a major role during the "Super-Star" portion of the game, to add a deeper sense of realism to the game.[citation needed]

I'm a hiring manager for an insurance company and during the interview process, we administer the Wonderlic. If an applicant does not score higher than an 18 we cannot hire them. The reason for this is people we hire must be able to pass the state license exam. Our company uses the Wonderlic as an indicator as to how much difficulty an applicant will have getting through our training and ultimately their ability to comprehend the information required to pass the state exam.

I understand that while insurance has nothing to do with football, having the aptitude to digest a complex playbook in a given amount of time would be very relevent to me if I were an NFL coach.

This assessment roughly corresponds to examples from Paul Zimmerman's The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football. According to Zimmerman, examples of average scores for each position are:

Pat McInally, a graduate of Harvard University, is the only football player to record a confirmed perfect score of 50.[citation needed]

WOW, looks like McInally has been beat...

Wallace Gilberry 17/50

464174m.jpg

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=509087

I always assumed that this test was just as much about the players problem solving ability, as their intelligence. If I have a qb, and he can't answer even 30 of these questions, and get at least 20 of them right....Well, you would have a perfect candidate for 3rd string, scout team qb. I think this is a good test, and it shows a persons ability to think on the move, and solve problems. It also shows an ability to be well rounded as a person.

I always assumed that this test was just as much about the players problem solving ability, as their intelligence. If I have a qb, and he can't answer even 30 of these questions, and get at least 20 of them right....Well, you would have a perfect candidate for 3rd string, scout team qb. I think this is a good test, and it shows a persons ability to think on the move, and solve problems. It also shows an ability to be well rounded as a person.

Dan Marino scored a 15.

Patrick Ramsey scored a 32.

I'm just sayin.

Archived