Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The House That Joe Gibbs Built

Commander Adama

Our once proud Redskins Nation had tumbled after Joe Gibbs left the first time. It lay in shambles for over a decade. A laughing stock of the NFL neighborhood. Our franchise ahd become synonymous with an ATM for any high profile player that wanted to cash in without putting in any effort. A place where it was all about show with no substance behind it, no cohesiveness. That is, it was, until Joe Gibbs came back into town.

Remember the glory years when Joe Gibbs had brought us Lombardi Trophies? Where you were proud, even gloated, to say you were a Redskin Fan? How quickly did that turn to shame once Joe Gibbs had left and a line of coaches had come to town? I remember people laughing at me when I told them I am a Redskin fan. Does everyone remember all the big names that have come to the franchise, and we were that one big player away from winning the Superbowl, only to make it only ONCE in twelve years that Joe Gibbs had been gone? We were always the Paper Tigers, the Off-Season Champions but it never paid off. We just had a bunch of players who could not play together as a team. Who were so quick to call out other players, coaches, and the organization. Players, who we as fans, started to cheer for, rather than the team as a whole.

Then something amazing happened. Joe Gibbs came home. Tweleve years from when he had retired. He started cleaning house, letting the players go who did not want to be there. The ones who were eager to talk to the media the first time something did not go their way. The ones who were there only for a paycheck. The outcry was numbing. People calling for Joe Gibbs resignation. Fans siding with the individual players over Joe Gibbs. He then started to build the team again. Building it with players who actually cared about their fellow teammates, about the orgranization; A family who played together. He had built a foundation. And he did not stop with just the players, he continued on to work on the owner and Vinny Cerrato. Teaching them a better way.

I heard of no players calling out any teammates or complaining. Players started defending the organization against the media and some fans. We got to know players such as Sean Taylor, Sean Springs, Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and I could keep on going. They became a team of blue-colar, hard working, dedicated players who in two years out of the four that Joe Gibbs was back, went to the playoffs. One of those years, the team despite the heart-breaking loss of a great teammate, went to the playoffs in a storied season.

I was reading a post earlier that was talking about, how we did not want Pac-Man Jones to come here to Washington because he was a troublemaker. Then it dawned on me. Fans started to have a sense of pride about our team again. Where our discussions are about not only their ability but the quality of the person. The owner started to avoid the Free Agent market and not treat it like it was a Fantasy Football draft, and then sign a high quality coach who has been compared to Joe Gibbs. I look back on what the team has endured and how they had grown. I am proud of our team, and I am proud to be a Washington Redskin Fan. Most of all though, I am thankful to Joe Gibbs and the house he has built.

Yeah buddy! There's more to a player than on field talent. Imagine if we got Jones/Chad/Hall? How long before our team was in disarray and all that unity that we got from Gibbs would be out the window? Players would play for themselves, not each other.

I second that. I am proud of what we are doing. It was a blessing to have Joe Gibbs back. I am glad that we have Zorn who is a good person...lets just hope he can coach. I am not willing to take Pac Man for a second. So......

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!

Cool pic in your sig! Was that taken before or after Sean was killed? (Might wanna edit your sig sentence BTW)

Great post...

...We should all be greatful for what Gibbs did for us. It is fair to argue that he did more the organization the second time around, than the first. Sure he MADE his name the first time around, but he IMPRINTED his name the second time around. And that could go a long ways...

We will miss you Coach Gibbs. Thanks for the memories...

That is a little overboard imho.

Are you forgetting the worst clock management and 2 minute drill in the history of the NFL?

What about when after we got a safety against us....and Joe sent out the field goal kicker instead of the punter onto the field?

Are you a fan of double timeouts?

How about not even being on the same page with G Williams for the 10 man salute?

I would say Gibbs was out in left field the last two seasons. Kind of like a senile old relative at a family get together.

No one really talks to him.....you just kind of smile at him and feel bad for him.

Bring on Zorn.....it can't possibly be any worse.

Are you forgetting the worst clock management and 2 minute drill in the history of the NFL?

What about when after we got a safety against us....and Joe sent out the field goal kicker instead of the punter onto the field?

How about not even being on the same page with G Williams for the 10 man salute?

I would say Gibbs was out in left field the last two seasons. Kind of like a senile old relative at a family get together.

No one really talks to him.....you just kind of smile at him and feel bad for him.

I think you are responding to a different argument. OP never claimed Gibbs was mistake free. He was praising the unity and goodwill he brought and hopes it continues.

Man I am glad to see someone else who feels this way . . .

People forget the fact that we lost at least 18 games in which we lead in the 4th quarter . . . that is incredible.

People forget the numerous brain freezes . . . the predictable play calling . . . the mind-boggling decisions . . .

I am sure the older "fans" will bash me for this one . . . saying that "this guy is too young, and doesn't appreciate what Gibbs has meant to the franchise." I can assure you that I do in fact appreciate what he has done in the past and I can also assure you that while my age is young, I am very, very knowledgable of the skins and their history.

No one can doubt that Gibbs completely tarnished his reputation in coming back . . . And the worst part about it was that he got a free pass in everything. No matter how many screw-ups he had, fans would praise him, and Snyder would let him continue to mess up the team. The past buys you nothing (the irony is this was one of the first things Gibbs acknowledged in coming back . . . maybe some fans and Gibbs himself should have paid more attention).

Gibbs was not the same Gibbs as old . . . and to even hint at the idea that he was the same or even better this go around is laughable and naive.

I can say this about Coach Gibbs - there was absolutely no other coach I would want to have at the helm during the Sean Taylor tragedy (r.i.p) than Gibbs . . . his x's and o's were way off the last 4 years, but his high character helped the team tremendously.

Having said that though, a 31-36 record with only one playoff win, with the amount of talent we have had over the past 4 years, is inexcusable.

Don't you think this is a little overboard?

Do you not like to be a part of a classy organization?

Do you not like to see good, hard nosed, redskin football?

Do you love having your favorite team's players constantly arrested (i.e. bengals, titans...).

Do you not like your team to be a kind of family, which in turn helps win football games?

Just wondering...

Everything that Gibbs did to benefit the team, he could have done as GM or President. As a coach, I think he held this team back a bit. I agree we are in a better place now, but I think we could have been better on the field for the talent that we collected. Im ready for the Zorn era, win, lose or draw.

I have considered these to be the dark ages for Skins fans.

From '91 till.........?

What will it take to get this ship right?

But what runclintonrun said is pretty much right on the spot.

Win big one week/loose the next. I.E. Lions then Giants.

What we really need is for JC to come out and make a difference.

No excuses this year.

I dont care about the new O being put in this year.

He needs to show he is the man heading the team.

And not throw picks.

I'm not picking on JC but we need a franchise QB so bad and in all honesty this orginazation deserves one.

I have considered these to be the dark ages for Skins fans.

From '91 till.........?

What will it take to get this ship right?

But what runclintonrun said is pretty much right on the spot.

Win big one week/loose the next. I.E. Lions then Giants.

What we really need is for JC to come out and make a difference.

No excuses this year.

I dont care about the new O being put in this year.

He needs to show he is the man heading the team.

And not throw picks.

I'm not picking on JC but we need a franchise QB so bad and in all honesty this orginazation deserves one.

Undoubtedly the biggest reason for success in a team is a qb . . . You hit the nail on the head with that one. HOPEFULLY JC can be eveything we as fans have not had in years. The team's success completely rests on his mind, arm, and legs.

But yeah man, this team under Gibbs was so schizophrenic . . . we were never consistent - it seemed that we would always take one step forward, two steps back . . . we rarely were able to beat the teams that we should have (and if we did, we never could do it convincingly) . . . we played down to teams who were horrible in terms of talent . . . the list goes on and on . . . and if you look at every single one of these things, they can ultimately traced back to poor coaching.

Everything that Gibbs did to benefit the team, he could have done as GM or President. As a coach, I think he held this team back a bit. I agree we are in a better place now, but I think we could have been better on the field for the talent that we collected. Im ready for the Zorn era, win, lose or draw.

Exactly what I was thinking . . . establishing a solid foundation and instilling high-character could have been done WITHOUT calling the plays and designing the game-plans. He would have commanded the same respect from the players as a GM, Team President, or hell, even a regular consultant.

So what are we saying? That what Gibbs has done so far is lay the foundations? And that the foundations aren't really making a good house at the minute?t And that hopefully Zorn can build the house atop Gibbs' foundations?

Actually that's a lot of metaphoric nonsense right there.

Let me translate. I'm happy with what Gibbs did overall. I'm also pretty happy we have Zorn in charge...

i am amazed that people think gibbs 2 was a failure.. there is no way in hell you can tell me that we are not leaps and bounds ahead of where we were when spurrier got booted. kind of the same way the cowboys were leaps and bounds better then they were pre-bill parcells.

Great post! Very inspiring...

I will admit, I have my doubts about the upcoming year. I dont have alot of faith in Zorn, but I do have hope... and plenty of ES brethren to support and argue with over the next season.

I am only sure of one thing... it will be interesting.

Though Gibbs made some horrid mistakes his second time up, he'll always be el captain to me. He brought class and civility back to this organization and he'll be missed.

What mistakes did he make? Are you talking about calling two time outs in a row, or trying to run the same play that stuffed on third down again on fourth down? If so, okay. But Gibbs didn't make very many if any off the field mistakes. Besides you are too young to even remember Gibbs from the first time out.

Archived