Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

in memory of our #21, Sean Taylor (new tattoo)

skinslove<3

Not to be rude.. but just looking for an explanation...

Sean Taylor was a very good football player.. but that's as far as any of us know him. We only KNOW him as a good football player.

Now i am not saying that he was, but the guy 'could' have been an ass-hole, a pr!ck or a wife beater in his personal life, he really wasn't a redskin long enough for anyone to get a good read on him.

What kind of an effect could he have on your life other then football? All the news that you read either has a positive or a negative spin, so to know the actual truth is almost impossible if you're not very close to that person.

Would you really "love" him like you say you do if he was just an average football player? I bet he wouldn't even be on you radar.

This isn't just about Taylor, i guess it's directed at anyone that has a tattoo of any public figure (other then maybe a great political figure and i would even argue against that)

Oh and regarding only looking for positive feedback.. this is a public forum, if you're looking for responses you need take the good with the bad. If you're looking for strait validation, you should ask your friends/ family.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I think that Sean Taylor impacted people more than just simply being a good football player.

Regardless of how deeply any of us were involved with Sean Taylor's life, people did see him grow as a player and as a person even if it was just on a small scale based on a media-view. I think that in some ways people related with his story. I remember when Sean was shot and, eventually died, I thought to myself why I felt so distraught about it considering I didn't know much more about the guy than was ever said in the media, or interactions with him at Training Camp. But when I thought about it, I realized that I was in some ways allowed to see Sean in his ups and downs, as he grew, and matured to what we eventually knew, and I could relate to it. I started to look at his situation, from the fact that he was only 24 (mine and Skinslove's age), to the fact that he had baby girl that was such a big part of his life, to the fact that he was finally starting to come into his own on the football field, and I realized that there were certain parallels that I could make for myself, and people close to me to the point where it represented a concentrated view of them or myself. Sean wasn't necessarily just a guy that played football, really well, for a team that I'm a huge fan of. He became a reminder, a symbol of the things I hope to do, and realizing that life is something that you have to make the most of.

To put it in perspective, a story I can relate this one to is when Ennis Cosby, Bill Cosby's son, was killed. Ennis was about 21/22 when it happened. I remember my dad taking it really hard, and I didn't know why, because he didn't know Ennis Cosby, so why did he take this so hard? I was only 14/15 at the time, and my dad and I were very close. He told me how he took it so hard because the relationship that Bill and Ennis had, was much like our relationship, and he could relate to the feelings the Bill was having, because he knew how he would feel if something were to happen to me. I still never understood him. But when Sean died, I knew how I would feel if my best friend were in a similar situation, or how I would feel if something were to happen to me this early in my life. I talked to my older sister that night and I told her, "I see what daddy was talking about now.".

You may find it weird to view it that way. But I think that for a lot of people, they were able to relate to some part of Sean's story, emotionally, and that Sean's life and death represents a bit of a simplified portion of that person's much more complex feelings on themselves and their life.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I think that Sean Taylor impacted people more than just simply being a good football player.

Regardless of how deeply any of us were involved with Sean Taylor's life, people did see him grow as a player and as a person even if it was just on a small scale based on a media-view. I think that in some ways people related with his story. I remember when Sean was shot and, eventually died, I thought to myself why I felt so distraught about it considering I didn't know much more about the guy than was ever said in the media, or interactions with him at Training Camp. But when I thought about it, I realized that I was in some ways allowed to see Sean in his ups and downs, as he grew, and matured to what we eventually knew, and I could relate to it. I started to look at his situation, from the fact that he was only 24 (mine and Skinslove's age), to the fact that he had baby girl that was such a big part of his life, to the fact that he was finally starting to come into his own on the football field, and I realized that there were certain parallels that I could make for myself, and people close to me to the point where it represented a concentrated view of them or myself. Sean wasn't necessarily just a guy that played football, really well, for a team that I'm a huge fan of. He became a reminder, a symbol of the things I hope to do, and realizing that life is something that you have to make the most of.

To put it in perspective, a story I can relate this one to is when Ennis Cosby, Bill Cosby's son, was killed. Ennis was about 21/22 when it happened. I remember my dad taking it really hard, and I didn't know why, because he didn't know Ennis Cosby, so why did he take this so hard? I was only 14/15 at the time, and my dad and I were very close. He told me how he took it so hard because the relationship that Bill and Ennis had, was much like our relationship, and he could relate to the feelings the Bill was having, because he knew how he would feel if something were to happen to me. I still never understood him. But when Sean died, I knew how I would feel if my best friend were in a similar situation, or how I would feel if something were to happen to me this early in my life. I talked to my older sister that night and I told her, "I see what daddy was talking about now.".

You may find it weird to view it that way. But I think that for a lot of people, they were able to relate to some part of Sean's story, emotionally, and that Sean's life and death represents a bit of a simplified portion of that person's much more complex feelings on themselves and their life.

I would say that is one good way to describe the relationship.

HAIL!!

I <3 you SSM.

it's something that i guess a lot of people dont understand unless you are feeling it. i spent 14 hours at ashburn the day sean passed away, just sitting, looking at the tree and the memorial grow. i didnt know what else to do, and it's where i wanted to be.

i miss sean, and i did this because it's more than football.

As long as you think it's amazing. It's your boby. The stencil's great, but I think softness of Sean's face and eyes didn't transfer over to the tattoo. The eyes are F'ed up. I just watched "30 Days of Night" over the weekend, and he's got the same eyes as the Vampires in that movie. It looks evil. But if that's what you're going for, cool.

Wow you just equated that "amazing tat" to the vampires in 30days of night. Zingggggggg

I'm glad you only paid $10 for it. Sorry, I think your friend did a pretty crappy job with it.

dude you're an *******. Imagine if everyone walked up to you and told you how messed up your face was? even if it wasnt messed up, that might be someones opinion. When you dont have anything nice to say, dont freakin comment at all.

Some people get their rocks off acting like this, and they are nothing but HATERS.

BOOOOOOOO haters

• 3 months later...

i know this a really old thread but i wanted to put my 2 cents in...

i think it's great. i know exactly how you feel. sean symbolized more than just a football player. true fans have that connection with him that other people just can't understand. a friend of mine texted me the morning he got shot and all day long i sat around and checked my computer every five minutes for updates. around 4 o'clock i fell asleep next to my lap top. in the morning, my roommate woke me up to tell me he was going to work. he said 'it's a shame about that football player.' i immediately knew sean was gone. i felt it. that day i cried four or five times. his life was stolen, and it really affected me. if i ever got a tattoo it would be of 21. sean was an inspiration and criticizing anyone for being touched by his death and choosing to honor him is just wrong.

your tat looks sick. you'll never forget sean, and neither will i.

your tat is incredible.....i love it.....amazing!

Some people it doesn't have such an effect on. Some it does. Myself for example it had a huge impact on and it still does. Just the other night I found myself browsing the vids on here and I came across some season highlight videos. One was a ST vid I haven't seen before. It was about 8 mins long and from about 20 seconds into it I was a crying mess for the whole thing. He wasn't just my favorite Redskins, he was my favorite athlete I ever got to see. Call me what you want, I don't care. Did I know him personally? No. That doesn't mean he can't have an effect on my life. Not a day goes by that I don't miss him or think about him. I didn't know what to do that day. I went to bed thinking everything was going to be ok, then at 7am my girlfriend came in to wake me up and she had a blank look on her face and I knew what she was going to say. She knew I was going to cry. I miss him so much, I feel like he was a family member. Call me crazy or stupid but thats how much I love this team. I wish I could celebrate his life like you have with you tattoo because its just incredible!

your tat is incredible.....i love it.....amazing!

Some people it doesn't have such an effect on. Some it does. Myself for example it had a huge impact on and it still does. Just the other night I found myself browsing the vids on here and I came across some season highlight videos.

I found myself browsing the Taylor videos on youtube the other night and came across this one....couldn't believe that I hadn't seen it since he died.

Rest in Peace and continue to watch over the Skins in '08.

I found myself browsing the Taylor videos on youtube the other night and came across this one....couldn't believe that I hadn't seen it since he died.

Rest in Peace and continue to watch over the Skins in '08.

:laugh:

They are breaking the huddle and Carlos is in his own world.

I liked ST as much as the next guy or girl, but honestly. A tattoo of him? Would you have gotten a tat of him had he not been murdered? Hopefully you are already married or engaged. Not sure if I were a guy trying to hook up with you I would find it attractive you have a tattoo of another "guy" on your leg. I have a few tats of my own, but no names of people or faces of them. I understand its your body and all, and it is great art. But...just kinda odd. Sorry, just my opinion.

I liked ST as much as the next guy or girl, but honestly. A tattoo of him? Would you have gotten a tat of him had he not been murdered? Hopefully you are already married or engaged. Not sure if I were a guy trying to hook up with you I would find it attractive you have a tattoo of another "guy" on your leg. I have a few tats of my own, but no names of people or faces of them. I understand its your body and all, and it is great art. But...just kinda odd. Sorry, just my opinion.

:doh:

Your opinion is dumb.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Read the original post. No negative thoughts, only positive.

so **** off.

Ahhh....excellent intellectual post Darrellsmyhero28. Honestly I would like to know, had ST not been murdered would she have gotten this tattoo? Was he your favorite player before his death? Not critisizing, just asking. I was positive, I said in my original post that it is great art. It is a nice job, and the tat looks good. Just asking a question. That being said....the tat looks amazing, and it is an excellent tribute to a fallen warrior.

Ahhh....excellent intellectual post Darrellsmyhero28. Honestly I would like to know, had ST not been murdered would she have gotten this tattoo? Was he your favorite player before his death? Not critisizing, just asking.

I just think your post was unnecessary.

Would she have gotten the tattoo? Who knows, thats for her to answer not me.

I would guess no, she got it to honor him. He was a good man and a face of the franchise, she chose to get a tattoo to honor his life.

I have a tattoo, to honor my friends that were killed on April 16th. Would I have gotten it, had they not been killed? No, I got it to honor them and to remind myself that life is short and I should make the best of it.

There are some people on here that have Redskins tattoos and got them well before Sean was killed. Theres even that guy that has the entire HOF list on his back. Its a personal decision and I think you're being overly judgmental.

Ahhh....excellent intellectual post Darrellsmyhero28. Honestly I would like to know, had ST not been murdered would she have gotten this tattoo? Was he your favorite player before his death? Not critisizing, just asking. I was positive, I said in my original post that it is great art. It is a nice job, and the tat looks good. Just asking a question.

perhaps the death inspired her to get the tatto, and that ST was already her favorite.

you ARE criticizing the fact that they got the tat.

:2cents:

That is what I am asking, and Darrellsmyhero28... I never asked you. I asked her, and you replied. So STFU. Face of the franchise? You honestly think so? Before his death? Not so sure I believe that. I might lean more to CP, or even though not a player. Joe Gibbs.

I have tattoos that mean something, like for my fallen brothers who died while we were in Iraq. No names or faces, but symbols. I was asking her for the logic, and if he was her fav before his death and both of you keyboard warriors replied. I am sure you have all seen the people who are now the biggest ST fans in the world because he is dead. I am not judging her, not one time did I say it was ugly, or you shouldn't have gotten it. I just mentioned what I thought about it, as she put it on a public forum to get peoples opinion. That is what I gave. Anyway, f'it. Nice tat. Its what you wanted and that's cool with me. Semper Fi.

That is what I am asking. and Darrellsmyhero28... I never asked you. I asked her, and you replied. So STFU. I have tattoos that mean something, like for my fallen brothers who died while we were in Iraq. No names or faces, but symbols. I was asking her for the logic, and if he was her fav before his death and both of you keyboard warriors replied. I am sure you have all seen the people who are now the biggest ST fans in the world because he is dead. I am not judging her, not one time did I say it was ugly, or you shouldn't have gotten it. I just mentioned what I thought about it, as she put it on a public forum to get peoples opinion. That is what I gave. Anyway, f'it. Nice tat. Its what you wanted and that's cool with me. Semper Fi.

Good thing you're cool with it.

Seriously, if you didn't want a response from a public forum, why the **** did you post your question?

And calling people out for being ST fans before or after his death is pathetic fyi. But hey, I'm posting my opinion in a public forum. :doh:

Thanks for making my point for me. Exactly, If she didn't want opinions of positive and/or negative natures why post it on a public forum? I knew we were on the same team all along.

Ok, I was wrong for expressing my opinions of her tat. Sorry, it means something to you and that is all that matters. As I have said numerous times, it is very good art work, and it looks nice. Good choice.

wow you all...just happened to notice that this came back up.

what is done is done. the end, its on my body. i did it for reasons maybe that might not be understood by some, but by others they know why i did it.

the event changed my life and this is the way that i chose to honor sean. you can disagree with it and hate it, but it's mine.

we are on the same team and we all loved sean. therefore, i didnt want negativity from anyone....it's ES though, no matter what move you make at times you are always going to get some stuff for it. i love people on here, but sometimes we need to get off one another, WE ALL LOVE THE SKINS.

kbrill21-im single and i wouldn't date or marry a guy who doesnt accept a huge part of me (as a die hard skins fan) and what i have chosen to do before they met me....sorry if it turns you off....im not looking to date now though.

HTTR & Zee.

Archived