Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our entire offensive line is OLD,(merged)

Skins4ever1

I don't understand how everyone can be yelling to trade our high picks away for some loud mouth WR when we have some serious issues on the horizon. The entire offensive line is atleast 30 or older. Thats not good people. They are already showing signs that they can't stay healthy. The most important part of your football team is your offensive and defensive lines. Of course QB is very important too but come on. We are not one very good WR away from winning a SB. Its time to face reality before its too late. This team needs youth ready to step in on both lines. I dont care what WRs you have because if you have a bad offensive line they mean NOTHING.

I think a lot of people might feel the same way. But I think if our line stays healthy, we have one of the best lines in the game right now. Just my opinion. I would not be opposed at all to draft some lineman though. Depth is always good on the O-line.

And tbh, Chad Johnson may have a big mouth but the man shows up on Sundays and is a gamer. Period.

So are you, but you don't hear them complaining.

Depth comes in the later rounds. Drafting depth in the 1st or 2nd is stupid.

Branden Albert is the only Offensive Lineman worth a 1st round pick (or at least, around our draft pick). Otherwise, you could address WR.

I think a lot of people might feel the same way. But I think if our line stays healthy, we have one of the best lines in the game right now. Just my opinion. I would not be opposed at all to draft some lineman though. Depth is always good on the O-line.

And tbh, Chad Johnson may have a big mouth but the man shows up on Sundays and is a gamer. Period.

Johnson may show up on Sundays but he will start mouthing off if Campbell is on his back all day long. What happens in a year or 2 when these guys are even older? We are not winning a SB this year anyway just because of Chad freaking Johnson. He is entering his 30s as well.

]']So are you' date=' but you don't hear them complaining.

Depth comes in the later rounds. Drafting depth in the 1st or 2nd is stupid.

Branden Albert is the only Offensive Lineman worth a 1st round pick (or at least, around our draft pick). Otherwise, you could address WR.[/quote']

Depth? When do you plan on drafting these guys replacements? They take a year to develope. You can't count on guys like Thomas Kendal and Jansen for much longer.

Johnson may show up on Sundays but he will start mouthing off if Campbell is on his back all day long. What happens in a year or 2 when these guys are even older? We are not winning a SB this year anyway just because of Chad freaking Johnson. He is entering his 30s as well.

Johnson mouths off because he wants to win. I don't necessarily think that is right, but at least he has the fire to win.

Like I said, I think we need to draft for depth, but only in the later rounds. I would love to get Branden Albert though.

I don't think anyone mentioned us winning the SB because of CJ. lol @ that thought though.

Regardless, I think if the Skins can make some solid pickups in the draft, they will be a serious contender.

Just like Stephon Heyer took a whole year to develop?? Wait......

He was forced into action but did pretty well. If you think that is the norm you are sadly mistaken. If you wait too long to have the future ready for something as important as the offensive line it can cause years of losing.

He was forced into action but did pretty well. If you think that is the norm you are sadly mistaken. If you wait too long to have the future ready for something as important as the offensive line it can cause years of losing.

You're right. It's a good thing we drafted Heyer so high in the draft. Wait.......

I agree 100%. I'd like to have one OL early in the draft, one in the middle rounds, and one late round "steal". Grab one or two in FA - rinse and repeat in 2009.

It seems like us older heads are on the same page. The lines are what win you football games. Without them you are not winning.

So you think because they lucked out once it will keep happening? The chances are much better if you draft them high.

:laugh:

Just pullin your leg a lil bit man. I'm with you. I definately think we shoule go after an OL in one of the earlier rounds. We have so many plans we can go into with the draft. OL could be in any of the rounds imo.

our line isnt THAT old, they are aging and we should be drafting their replacements. BUt our O-line is one of the best in the league when they are healthy, and thank goodness they will be healthy. I think portis will have 1400+ yards this year behind the line if its healthy and in this WCO.

I honestly, love our O-line. And we have a GREAT young prospect in Stephon Heyer. Chris Samuels hasnt shown any signs of stopping, and hopefully Randy Thomas will be injury free the rest of his career. I think Rabach is fine, and my only question would be Jansen. Though I think he is okay for 1-2 more years.

We will def look towards the draft and UDFA during and after april to make the roster younger. Bugel knows how to get the best of his players, young or old. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign some depth in FA as well. But of course like 1 year deals and stuff like that.

You're right about the fact that the WRs mean nothing if our line isn't healthy but once it is, I think we have one of the best Offensive lines out there today.

If we keep those big guys up front healthy, we have some pretty beast pass protection.[/QUOTE]

Our O-line is also very good good in run support as well. I could of gotten 1200 yards behind our line in 06', thats why betts ran for so many so fast. Portis would have had 1600+ yards that year if he didnt get hurt.

OUr O-line is beastly, period when healthy.:2cents:

our line isnt THAT old, they are aging and we should be drafting their replacements. BUt our O-line is one of the best in the league when they are healthy, and thank goodness they will be healthy. I think portis will have 1400+ yards this year behind the line if its healthy and in this WCO.

I honestly, love our O-line. And we have a GREAT young prospect in Stephon Heyer. Chris Samuels hasnt shown any signs of stopping, and hopefully Randy Thomas will be injury free the rest of his career. I think Rabach is fine, and my only question would be Jansen. Though I think he is okay for 1-2 more years.

We will def look towards the draft and UDFA during and after april to make the roster younger. Bugel knows how to get the best of his players, young or old. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign some depth in FA as well. But of course like 1 year deals and stuff like that.

I keep hearing they are great "When healthy". Thats all fine and well but they have been getting banged up a lot lately. A big part of that is because of age. The injuries are going to come more often as they get even older. Not one guy is under 30 years of age. You can't wait until the last minute to start replacing these guys or it will all hit you at once. Teams that win every year have guys ready to step right in. We dont have that right now.

I keep hearing they are great "When healthy". Thats all fine and well but they have been getting banged up a lot lately. A big part of that is because of age. The injuries are going to come more often as they get even older. Not one guy is under 30 years of age. You can't wait until the last minute to start replacing these guys or it will all hit you at once. Teams that win every year have guys ready to step right in. We dont have that right now.

they were hurt last year. it was a freak-streak of injuries. Even gibbs and bigel said they have never had that many players get hurt on the O-line. Hell, even Heyer got hurt one game.

Heyers not old. You are basically saying they cant come back from injury?Kinda like portis couldn't come back from his injuries either.. Our O-line will be fine for he next 2-3 years and we started addressing it last year with letting heyer develop and get time. We could have signed a vet.

Now we will be addressing it in the draft, relax bro.

the patriots have a pretty old team and the last time I checked, they were decent....Younger right away doesn't necessarily mean better..:2cents:

Just because our O-line is all over 30 doesn't mean the sky is falling and we should ignore every aspect of the team besides the line. Footballs a team sport and the lines important but so are other positions. I think we should draft some young lineman but what if we don't trade our 1st pick and the highest rated Olineman there at 21 is a guy we project to be there for us in the second round? Do you think we pick him regardless?

We gotta keep all of our options open right now and see how the draft plays out before saying we should draft a paticular position with the pick regardless of who's out there. It might be smart to draft a lineman or trade the pick. How can anyone know at this stage of the game?

He's basically correct. I think we (fans and the franchise) under-value the lines, both O & D. Neither the promise of Jason Campbell, nor the quality of any 'stud' WR's won't matter if the line is sub-par. A) the ability to establish the run to be able to take some pressure off the QB, and B) giving whoever's in the pocket that extra 1/2 to 1 second to scan the field and get a throw off is pivotal.

I think Zorn, as a former QB, is acutely aware of this. Thats why I'm not worried - assuming he can keep Vinny from shouting him down.

The team definitely sees the need to get some youth at the OLine, so I wouldnt worry too much. I fully expect to see at least one or two draft picks expended in that area. We have one young up and comer right now, and several of our linemen will be good for the next 2-3 years(though they are older). Really what we need over the next year or two is 1-2 more young linemen to join Heyer in being the future of the line.

I really don't think our O-line situation is as dire as some people make it sound. I mean in terms of talent, we have 2 former pro-bowlers and 1 current pro-bowler in the starting line up. Sure, they are old, but I dont think we have to worry about them retiring tomorrow or anything.

They do get hurt a lot so i agree we should add some depth, but its not like we are desperate and need to burn a first rounder on it. Spend some later round picks there and see how they develop.

Archived