Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I LOVE The New Front Office Approoach!!!

Thoth

I love hearing nothing so far in free agency.

Every day of silence makes me far more excited.

Yes, our cap didn't leave us much room, but still. . .

We have little chance of winning the SB this year, or probably even the next, but who knows after that. We definitely weren't going to win by trading away the future every year, and overpaying in FA every year.

No boneheaded trades, no super ridiculous signings, an arsenal of draft picks. . .I love it.

I am guessing that during interviews, hearing almost every coach say they would employ a more draft-based philosophy, that it would take a few years for us to be a SB team, etc., probably sunk in a little with Snyder.

Even with a few FAs signed for modest prices to round out the roster after bidding wars have cooled, we still need two years of solid drafts to have a really competitive team with depth.

I'll be even more stoked if, next year at this time, we have a full draft again, don't overspend again, and the previous years picks have panned out.

Vinny is saying all the right things, and doing nothing was his first great act, but he still has to use those picks wisely--something his track record leaves question marks about.

That's all I have to say about that. Any comments?

Stability breeds success. Success breeds continued success. Follow the Patriots model, as much as I hate them, they have written the book on how to succeed in today's NFL.

This is a playoff team that yes, has a new and very green head coach employing a new system but the talent is still there.

If the front office drafts well this year and continues not to be in the headlines, I think maybe they may have turned a corner and learned a few lessons. We really won't know until mid-season next year or perhaps next offseason.

Agreed. The real test though will be what happens on Draft Day. Do we waste picks on glamour positions? Do we trade away the picks that we do have? How does Vinny do in the draft? If we draft quality guys and don't trade away the lot of them then I might believe that they've started to realize the error of thier ways.

It's no where nearly as entertaining. There never used to be an off season with the Redskins. Something was always happening. I guess if this educated, patience thing is what ya after, then.....you know....what ever.

Agreed. The real test though will be what happens on Draft Day. Do we waste picks on glamour positions? Do we trade away the picks that we do have? How does Vinny do in the draft? If we draft quality guys and don't trade away the lot of them then I might believe that they've started to realize the error of thier ways.

Right there with you.

I'm happy right now that we have potentially 4 picks in the 1st 3 rounds but I want to wait and see who we draft and in particular what position we address. If we waste (my opinion) our 1st and 2nd on a WR and CB and yet again ignore the lines, I'll be pissed.

As for free agency, I never have had a problem with the Skins spending big money on guys, they just need to be the right ones. We need a ton more Shawn Springs' and less Brandon Lloyds'. So I don't really feel one way or the other on the Skins lack of free agent moves right now.

I disagree, I think that we could be a contender this year if we can avoid major injuries. Last season we made a great run with about 6 starters hurt for the year. I do think we are heading in the right direction though...if we can have 2-3 good drafts, maybe get some key guys over the next few years, I think we could be a top team....Just my opinion

Right there with you.

I'm happy right now that we have potentially 4 picks in the 1st 3 rounds but I want to wait and see who we draft and in particular what position we address. If we waste (my opinion) our 1st and 2nd on a WR and CB and yet again ignore the lines, I'll be pissed.

Me too.

Last off season is what we need to copy as far as talent evaluation. FAs are a good bunch overall when you look at what we got for how much. Drafts are a good bunch, though too few, when you take out the loss of Sartz through injury.

My only concern is will the right areas be targeted at the right time i.e. will we get the starter capable impact OL we need and the DT to rotate with Griffen. I think we can with our first and second and then get the CBs and WRs. If we did that and picked up a late round or undrafted C/G project I would be a happy bunny.

We have little chance of winning the SB this year, or probably even the next

I really don't know why you'd say that. The NFL has so much parity, it could be literally ANY team winning year in and year out. Who would have thought the Giants would've beaten the mighty Patriots in the Super Bowl? The Giants were on the verge of self-destructing through the first 2.9 weeks of the season, until that crazy comeback against us. And Eli Manning as the Super Bowl MVP?

I'd give our talent and coaching level a little more credit than that. This team may not have the ability to blow teams out week after week, or win 12 games consistently, but they sure as hell have as good a chance as any team to get into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.

Me too.

Last off season is what we need to copy as far as talent evaluation. FAs are a good bunch overall when you look at what we got for how much. Drafts are a good bunch, though too few, when you take out the loss of Sartz through injury. [Actually, Sartz was cut and not even put on injured reserve.]

My only concern is will the right areas be targeted at the right time i.e. will we get the starter capable impact OL we need and the DT to rotate with Griffen. I think we can with our first and second and then get the CBs and WRs. If we did that and picked up a late round or undrafted C/G project I would be a happy bunny.

"Happy Bunny?" Gosh, that's the first time I've heard that phrase! laugh.gif

There are a lot of different formulas for approaching the draft.

Picking up top-graded defensive linemen and offensive linemen in the early rounds is an inexact science. Some do well, some do not, and many 'gems' are found in the lower rounds.

However, with cornerbacks and wide-receivers -- the first couple of rounds are usually where the best ones are found -- speed and quickness is not something that stays unearthed during all the testing by franchises.

Personally, for WRs, the best route to go might be the free-agency route. (We might be able to obtain a good cornerback by trade.)

If you want to draft a sure thing at DE, DT, or OT there are very few that potentially qualify -- and you might have to consider trading up. Otherwise, one has to hope that we land the 'right' person in the lower rounds.

As an aside, I am leaning more towards trying to find a way to draft Vernon Gholsten -- a DE who I think will be phenomenal in the NFL. Now, it might not be possible to obtain his rights, but he'd be a great acquisition and substantially upgrade the Redskins defense.

I'd give our talent and coaching level a little more credit than that. This team may not have the ability to blow teams out week after week, or win 12 games consistently, but they sure as hell have as good a chance as any team to get into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.

Damn straight! :cheers:

While I like that fact we aren't acting like we're playing franchise mode in madden anymore, but I agree we should've made at least some moves thus far, we are an aging team, especially on the O-Line and defense.

Hopefully they have plans for the draft, at this point I'm lost on exactly what the Front Office is planning on doing.

I might agree but something about three of the arguably the ten best wr's in the league being on the trading block makes me think we need to make a move on one of them.

Roy Williams and Fitzy are no brandon lloyds, they are exceptional talent.

Johnson...well I could do without him.

I'm still even leary about the draft. This organization's ability to evaluate talent is questionable to me. Multiple picks to get the player the want in the past is what ticks me. Had they not traded way picks in earlier years they wouldn't have to overcompensate to get the player they want.

I'll never forget watching Thomas Howard (Raiders LB). In the combine he was moving like a safety in the drills. The only thing I questioned about him was his size at the time. He was kinda small for a LB. Well he's bulked up now and playing really well now for the Raiders. Nothing against Mcintosh but Thomas Howard is a beast. Howard was right there for the taking instead of giving up 3 picks for 1 player.

Anyhow I hope they do better this year.

The FO has not learned a dam thing. The only reason we have not hit the Free agency market is because we can't afford to.

They're still looking at CJ and D Hall...Anyone of those move would put us back into Cap Hell.

I hope we have a great draft. That's the only way the FO will see we Can build this team with draft picks.

Archived