Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we really need a corner that bad?

SteveFromYellowstone

I realize Springs is getting up there in age, but he is still good. I know Carlos isn't coming back until maybe midseason, but he played well last year when he was in. Smoot played incredibly. Should we really use a first round pick on a corner?

Cromartie is good, but I don't think he is what we need the most. Torrence played alright, and we can always draft someone in the 3rd or later for depth.

We do need a big wide reciever, that will most likely come in the first round (if we dont pick one up in free agency or draft DL). Our OL is very good when healthy, I still think we can wait a year or two to draft OL. We do need some pressure on the QB, but I'm also not sure if someone will be there at 21 to pick thats worth it.

With the offenses today you need a decent 3rd or even 4th CB. I think we would be awfully thin going into the season with Springs, Smoot and a cast of others.

I would much rather we addressed it now than go digging in dumpsters mid-season like we were forced to do last year.

I realize Springs is getting up there in age, but he is still good. I know Carlos isn't coming back until maybe midseason, but he played well last year when he was in. Smoot played incredibly. Should we really use a first round pick on a corner?

Cromartie is good, but I don't think he is what we need the most. Torrence played alright, and we can always draft someone in the 3rd or later for depth.

We do need a big wide reciever, that will most likely come in the first round (if we dont pick one up in free agency or draft DL). Our OL is very good when healthy, I still think we can wait a year or two to draft OL. We do need some pressure on the QB, but I'm also not sure if someone will be there at 21 to pick thats worth it.

personally i think we do ONLY cuz of the injru to carlos rogers. his injury was pretty severe and they dont know how well hes gonna do.

No we really don't. Springs/Smoot is a good starting combo, if one of them goes down then hopefully it will be after Carlos is back, but there are at least 3 positions that we need to think about first: WR, DL, & OL.

Our secondary is pretty damn good. 3 good corners and one stud safety. If we upgrade our DL we won't have to worry as much about another CB (which we only really need for depth).

Look at all of the great teams in the NFL, they don't have a bunch of great corners, they have a pass-rush.

You said it yourself, Rogers' injury will take a while and Shawn is aging. We need to at least add some depth their in the later rounds, but I wouldn't be completely against getting a decent player like Cromartie either. I'd rather pick a corner at 21 then a receiver; much more depth at receiver in later rounds.

I don't think we are really desperate for a corner, but then I'm not sure we are that desperate for any position. What we need is depth and some nice role players.

And in terms of what we do in the first round... I think its important that we just draft for value within our needs. Instead of reaching for a crappy DE just cause we think we need more pass rush, we would be much better off in the long run picking up a really good corner, or WR, or G for that matter. And then we can pick up those other positions later in the draft and work with what we've got.

I really hope we keep our pick, cause I think there will be at least one future superstar still available there within the positions that we need.

We do need a corner badly, highlighted by the injury to Rogers. And you're right, Springs can still play but is getting up there in age. Smoot is good but erratic. None of our backups are that good(Eubanks, Torrence). It is actually a critical need, especially with offenses as versatile as they are. I wouldn't say a first round pick is necessary though, you can find good nickel corners in the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th rounds. D-linemen first, because pass rush is the most important part of a defense.

yea but your saying hopefully springs and smoot dont get hurt til rogers gets back, well in that case your taking a chance. If one goes down then what? Yes most good defenses have a pass rush, which is why we draft a DE in the draft to play opposite side of andre carter. I still think we need another CB, however i do feel if we trade for hall that springs or someone will be gone.

2 words: Mike Rumph

Scary enough for ya?

Rumph sucked but what hurt us more than anything that year was our LB corps.

We had Lemar Marshall playing ILB (who is a decent OLB at his very best) and Warrick MF'n Holdman starting at one of the OLB spots.

yea but your saying hopefully springs and smoot dont get hurt til rogers gets back, well in that case your taking a chance. If one goes down then what? Yes most good defenses have a pass rush, which is why we draft a DE in the draft to play opposite side of andre carter. I still think we need another CB, however i do feel if we trade for hall that springs or someone will be gone.

You can't go into a season expecting your players to get injured. We need a CB for depth and that's it. We have more pressing needs to spend our picks on than trading for DeAngelo Hall (which would be the same old stupid trades we're used to seeing in the offseason) or drafting a CB in any of the first 3 rounds.

This is what we need: D. Lowery at 3rd pick or Conpencatory 3rd what ever is lower

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=67900 be sure to read his attached articles in site. I have seen this guy live and he is tryely ligit. His timed 40 was a joke. He plays his assignment like very few ever have. He is in my opinion one of the top 3 cbs in the draft and under the raidar due to a poor 40. Dude is always with his guy dont trust that time by any means. He is my favorite and I put my name and cred on this guy being one of the best CB in the NFL ever.

You can't go into a season expecting your players to get injured. We need a CB for depth and that's it. We have more pressing needs to spend our picks on than trading for DeAngelo Hall (which would be the same old stupid trades we're used to seeing in the offseason) or drafting a CB in any of the first 3 rounds.

I never said we need to get D hall, i just said i think we need another Cb

Not the first round. In the 2nd or 3rd round, we need a CB with good speed who can cover. I think we will play more man up and a CB with speed and cover skills is a must.

I never said we need to get D hall, i just said i think we need another Cb

My bad. I agree that we could use another CB for depth but me personally, I don't understand all of the people who want to trade our picks for Hall or use one of the first day picks on a CB.

I thought signing Drayton Florence would've been a decent mid-level FA move, but I just can't see justifying any of our first 3 picks on another corner.:2cents:

My bad. I agree that we could use another CB for depth but me personally, I don't understand all of the people who want to trade our picks for Hall or use one of the first day picks on a CB.

I thought signing Drayton Florence would've been a decent mid-level FA move, but I just can't see justifying any of our first 3 picks on another corner.:2cents:

I've posted this before, and I'll just keep posting it.

The Skins should and will draft a corner in the first three rounds for the below reasons.

1. It's unclear how well and how soon Rogers will recover.

2. Smoot is best-suited as a nickelback.

3. Springs is oft-injured and not likely to return next year.

4. Corners usually take a while to adjust to the pros, so we're already up against it to develop Springs' replacement.

5. We have draft picks for a change, so in the first three rounds we can address Oline, Dline, and still have a pick left for corner.

I'm not in favor of trading for Hall.

I'm hoping DRC falls to 21. I'd rather the Skins take DRC in the 1st instead of reaching on a DT/DE. Also, I wouldn't mind CB Tracy Porter in the 2nd instead, but I'm not sure he'll fall that far. If the Skins pass on CB in the 1st, it could get very dicey.

All of this is predicated on my belief that the Skins need to find a future replacement for Springs - a #1 or #2 CB, not just a nickelback.

I've posted this before, and I'll just keep posting it.

The Skins should and will draft a corner in the first three rounds for the below reasons.

1. It's unclear how well and how soon Rogers will recover.

2. Smoot is best-suited as a nickelback.

3. Springs is oft-injured and not likely to return next year.

4. Corners usually take a while to adjust to the pros, so we're already up against it to develop Springs' replacement.

5. We have draft picks for a change, so in the first three rounds we can address Oline, Dline, and still have a pick left for corner.

I'm not in favor of trading for Hall.

I'm hoping DRC falls to 21. I'd rather the Skins take DRC in the 1st instead of reaching on a DT/DE. Also, I wouldn't mind CB Tracy Porter in the 2nd instead, but I'm not sure he'll fall that far. If the Skins pass on CB in the 1st, it could get very dicey.

All of this is predicated on my belief that the Skins need to find a future replacement for Springs - a #1 or #2 CB, not just a nickelback.

Well, keep posting it and I'll keep saying that we don't need to use any of our first 3 picks on a CB.

We need to concentrate on rushing the passer and protecting Jason Campbell next year.

The trenches are where it's won. Look at the last few Super Bowl champs they've all had stout offensive lines and a nasty pass-rush.

This is what we need: D. Lowery at 3rd pick or Conpencatory 3rd what ever is lower

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=67900 be sure to read his attached articles in site. I have seen this guy live and he is tryely ligit. His timed 40 was a joke. He plays his assignment like very few ever have. He is in my opinion one of the top 3 cbs in the draft and under the raidar due to a poor 40. Dude is always with his guy dont trust that time by any means. He is my favorite and I put my name and cred on this guy being one of the best CB in the NFL ever.

EVER???? really????? EVER?????

EVER???? really????? EVER?????

I know its hard to believe but you have had to watch him. He started playing as a Junior in Cabrillo JUCO dude is a "Natural".

He is that special. I don't ever say things like this unless I truely believe it. He will be one of the best ever. He is a pick monster and reroutes his guys all the time. Teams tried desperatly not to through in his direction. VERY UNDER RATED. I think if we can snag him in the third we will find a player that will be franchise caliber for years to come.

I felt the same way about Cooly. Look where we got him. He also played with groin pulls, broken bones, dude is a true REDSKIN. I wont say he will be the best ever but he will be among that calibur.

Archived