Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Reed Doughty deserve to be starting SS?

SteveFromYellowstone

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think Reed's a solid safety. People fail to recognize how few games he actually started. The more comfortable he and LL got back there the better they performed in my opinion. As far as matchups against NFC East TEs, I think he did pretty well last year considering how "green" he was. As far as coverage against B. Westbrook, :laugh: :laugh: ....find me another safety in the league that can "match up well" against him and I will galdly take them because you aren't going to find one. Let us not forget people that even the best players are not where they need to be on every single down and Reed, for the most part, covered his end pretty darn well. Let us also not forget that as long as we don't have a liability in Reed, LL will be able to roam and be the playmaker he can be.

:2cents: :cheers:

No, he shouldn't be our starting safety...

I do like Reed.. however I think alot of the opinions in this thread might be the classical "homer" vote.. he's a solid safety and would provide great DEPTH, but we need a playmaker next to Landry. Personally, I'd like to see us grab a talented safety early in the draft, however, if not there are people in the league (Donavin Darius anyone?) that we could look into. Ultimately, I believe this move would best benefit Laron Landry and the defense..

I want all Pro's at every position and their backups to be Pro-Bowlers who are just a little past their prime. And then I want a brand new young guy that we drafted last year that's eager to learn but will be a future HOF'er to back him up.

Of course, for those that aren't math-challenged, with 22 players and their two backups each that would give us 66 players - just a little over the 53 man limit, before we evn began looking at punters and kickers.

Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. It's like this. You only have so many holes you can fill. You identify those holes, fill them as best as you can through FA, drafts or evn outright trades. But you can't trade out every person on the team that is not a Pro-Bowler. We don't have the cap or the drafts to do it. So you go ater the most glaring weaknesses first. In my opinion, that's the offensive line. Someone else says WR, somebody else says CB, and a few clowns say QB.

Regardless, we don't draft, and we don't go after an FA for a position where we have somebody who did a good job. Doughty did a good job. Our backup linemen did not. Get what we desperately need. Don't go after a position because you want what we tragically lost. I don't care if he's the BPA or not. Draft what you need. Don't end up like Detroit with a team of WR's and another year without the playoffs.

I think Reed Doughty has earned the starting job going into camp. I'm all for competition, but I would not waste a early round pick on a safety. With a full camp as a starter he will only get better. How much playingtime has he had before Sean's murder? I think Sean would be proud of how he played last year. R.I.P. Sean, we all miss you.

The game has changed and definitely become more pass oriented.

Every member of your secondary must be able to cover. Doughty can cover but he will have 6 games against 3 elite TEs in the NFC East alone. No one can say that Doughty is a positive matchup against Shockey, LJ Smith and definitely not Witten. You throw in Brian Westbrook on occassion and Doughty does not measure up.

Doughty is servicable to solid which is a far cry from good to elite.

wrong...

He's faced Witten, LJ Smith, Kevin Boss, Desmond Clark, Greg Olsen, Marcus Pollard, and Jeremy Stevens...played pretty well against all of those (who are all pretty damn good)

Deserve? No. I'm not certain anyone deserves anything in this case. Has he earned it? I think so. And there haven't been too many bad reports about the man's play last season save for some here. Of course, he'll probably have to keep on earning it, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with him.

I voted yes. I feel very comfortable with LaRon and Reed back there.

I also think we could use some depth though, maybe grab one late in the draft. It's his spot to try and keep, so I hope he steps up and continues to play well.

I voted yes. I feel very comfortable with LaRon and Reed back there.

I also think we could use some depth though, maybe grab one late in the draft. It's his spot to try and keep, so I hope he steps up and continues to play well.

:applause: Yep.

Lovin the sig torch, do you got that in a bigger size. I'd love to make the my background.

Tough to call...considering there are more pressing needs at other positions I think it's his job to lose going into camps, etc. I still think the Skins will bring in a FA to compete at the SS position, and of course whoever performs the best will start come reg. season.

NO!! reed will not start next season, the defensive game plan was handicapped due to reeds sub par performance at FS / SS. He is not a every down player in the NFL and wont make enough impact in training camp to even be penciled in as a starter :2cents:

Maybe I'm kind of alone on this one.........but I'm really not "sold" on Reed. I like him alot and I think he's an over achiever. He is not very good in a shell. he get's burned in deep coverage and has looked out of his league at times. Now, I'm not bashing him, I just don't feel as confortable as some people seem to be. I'd like to see him be able to cover in a deep zone or come up quick on a swing pass if he's in the box. A guy like Westbrook scares me when it comes to Reed having to cover him. Givin our situation and needs list, the position may be 4th or 5th on the list, so I am not opposed to him starting, just makes me nervous.....and I would like to see some competition there. Just my opinion.

He looked solid last year. He came in during a very emotional time for us. He had some big shoes to fill to. No matter who replaced Sean, it wasn’t going to be good enough. Reed seems like he has a lot of potential.

Archived