Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn and Skins to Pursue Hackett

DirtySkin21

i really like Hackett

he tore up Springs in the playoff game, so we know 1st hand what he can do when healthy

I agree they made Springs look bad but I think it was more a product of Hasselbeck burning Springs with his eyes and his pump fakes. A good quarterback will make average receivers look great. Look at Farve and Jevon Walker and the rest of the packer wideouts.

I wouldn't mind Hackett. I hear that his route running is his strength, and he has good hands and adequate size. Injuries happen. He played in 14 games in 2006, when he played last year he was putting up elite numbers. He played in 4 FULL games (appeared in 6) and out of those 4 FULL games, his stats were 6/58/1, 8/101/1, 9/136/1, 4/41/0.

He then went on to torch us in the playoffs, before getting snowed out in Green Bay in the Divisional round. He's an elite talent, that should be landed here for the right price.

I just went to two Seahawk forums. Found a thread on Hackett in each of them

First one:

http://www.seahawkshuddle.com/v1/viewtopic.php?t=18080&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

30 replies. None of them negative. They all want him back

Next one:

http://forums.seattletimes.nwsource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41587&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

20 replies. Only one semi-negative comment

"let him go seek the big payday elsewhere since the money spent on him would be better off going to somebody else."

Seems like everyone who knows Hackett's game loves him. Only the ones looking at stats and injury reports hate on him. I say we sign this guy.

Seems like everyone who knows Hackett's game loves him. Only the ones looking at stats and injury reports hate on him. I say we sign this guy.

I guess that would include pretty much every NFL team so far since he hasn't even visited anywhere.

Free agent D.J. Hackett hasn't ruled out rejoining the Seahawks.

He's begging for any suitors right now. The Tacoma News Tribune suggests Hackett re-sign for one year to rehab his value and show he can stay healthy. | 3/5/2008 1:25:00 PM

looks like he can be had for pretty cheap. Cmon Vinny!

I will let the numbers make my case for not making another, free agent wide reciever mistake. Unlike the stock market, past performance is a clear indicator of future results. Now DJ Hackett might have a great attitude and be loved by millions but production is the bottom line and his is nothing of note.

DJ HACKETT:

2007 - 32 catches

2006 - 45 catches

2005 - 28 catches

2004 - 00 catches

Total: 105 catches:anon:

BRANDON LLOYD:

2007 - 02 catches

2006 - 23 catches

2005 - 48 catches

2004 - 43 catches

Total: 116 catches:anon:

So you want to pay another mediocre at best free agent decent money when he hasn't out performed Brandon (the paycheck thief) Lloyd? You are entitled to your opinion but just understand how ridiculous it sounds.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Maybe we should clarify that the BIG reciever needs to be R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E

I just dont think people get it. Lloyd wasnt a failure because he lacked talent. To the contrary, he had loads of it. Lloyd was a failure because of his mentality and attitude. You cannot determine mentality and attitude from a stat sheet, so comparisons of Hacketts production to that of Lloyd is a complete and utter waste of time.

I just dont think people get it. Lloyd wasnt a failure because he lacked talent. To the contrary, he had loads of it. Lloyd was a failure because of his mentality and attitude. You cannot determine mentality and attitude from a stat sheet, so comparisons of Hacketts production to that of Lloyd is a complete and utter waste of time.

Really?

On what planet does production not matter these days?

A.R.E has a great attitude but...

2007 - 51 catches

2006 - 32 catches

2005 - 35 catches

2004 - 43 catches

Total = 161 -

A.R.E had a good year by his standards but still got demoted by Zorn to the slot. Why? Because Zorn needs more production from that spot.

James Thrash has an exmplary Redskin attitude but...

2007 - 09 catches

2006 - 12 catches

2005 - 14 catches

2004 - 17 catches

Total = 52

James thrash is 6 foot and over 200 pounds but Zorn is still looking for a WR. Why? Because although Thrash is a great American his numbers stink.

The point is NUMBERS and PRODUCTION do matter. A guy can have a crappy attitude (i.e. TO) but if he produces then no one complains too much. The Redskins have a bunch of great guy WRs on the team right now but the reason this thread exists is because those great guys with the great attitudes are not putting up the production required.

The numbers do infact matter and if a guy is not getting it done somewhere else it is foolish to think he will come here and be super productive.:2cents:

Lets sign him and draft a reciever in the 1st or 2nd right now we only have moss and randle el thats not much if we want to run 3 or 4 wr sets plus these two are already getting up there in age.

I think you make a valid point. Why not get him and draft a receiver. They can compete for starting jobs. If they happen to be better than El, El can move to either 3rd or 4th WR...Plus, I think with a WCO there are quite a bit of 4 WRs sets...

Get him cheap maybe for depth, but are you kidding me? This guy is not starting caliber. We can do better than that. If true, maybe Zorn sees something in him that no one else does. This is always the case though. You bring in a new coach and he goes and gets some supposed "up and coming" guy that used to play for him with the coaches' old team. I don't see anything in Hackett, and I don't think many teams other than us and the Titans do. Wait until he's cheap or let him go to the Titans. Its not worth getting into a bidding war for this guy.

HTTR

You can try and skew the facts however you want but one thing holds true, Hackett was a rookie in 2004 from then through the 2007 season he has only started in 14 games.

And what do you mean who cares about Jansen's first 5 seasons? That's 80+ games in a row without a miss.

And what do you know about his injury probability? ANY player that would've been standing where he was in the Miami game last year would've went down with an injury that brutal, even the most athletic player can't bounce back from a broken and dislocated ankle of that severity.

__

You keep saying he only started in 14 games but he didn't become an actual starter on the Seahawks until last yr...

Actually, it isn't a waste of time. You'd think we'd learn by now that throwing guaranteed money at a somewhat spectacular (yet unproven) wide receiver is a gamble. We made a mistake and BLLoyd had a better resume at this point in his career than Hackett... What does that say for the Redskins if we make the same mistake? Brandon Lloyd was a 4th rounder... Hackett was a 5th rounder... Why not just draft a WR in the 3rd through 5th rounds and not spend so much on a free agent with a questionable resume.

I will let the numbers make my case for not making another, free agent wide reciever mistake.

Ok. So I say "only the people who look at just his stats against Hackett", and then you go on to give me an argument based purely on stats? Are you trying to prove my point for me?

Really?

So production does not matter these day?

A.R.E has a great attitude but...

A.R.E had a good year by his standards but still got demoted by Zorn to the slot. Why? Because Zorn needs more production from that spot.

Demoted to the slot? WTF are you talking about? How is getting moved into the slot a demotion? Zorn said he sees El playing the same role as Bobby Engram. Bobby Engram led the Seahawks in receiving by a mile last year. You could make a better argument that being moved to the slot was a promotion for El.

I will let the numbers make my case for not making another, free agent wide reciever mistake. Unlike the stock market, past performance is a clear indicator of future results. Now DJ Hackett might have a great attitude and be loved by millions but production is the bottom line and his is nothing of note.

I agree with you here. Sadly, you go on to miss the point miserably.

DJ HACKETT:

2007 - 32 catches

2006 - 45 catches

2005 - 28 catches

2004 - 00 catches

Total: 105 catches:anon:

BRANDON LLOYD:

2007 - 02 catches

2006 - 23 catches

2005 - 48 catches

2004 - 43 catches

Total: 116 catches:anon:

Hmm. You ever heard the old saying? "Statistics are like bikinins...what the reveal is important, but what they CONCEAL is vital."

You've revealed something of minor interest (that a player noted for injuries and used in a rotation of WRs has caught slightly fewer passes over 4 years than a WR who spent two of those years as the only viable option on his team), but you've concealed something of much greater usefulness.

Might want to keep in mind that Lloyd put up those numbers in 52 games. Hackett put up his totals in 33 games. It means something a little different, when talking about the quality of the player, when you consider that Hackett caught 3.2 passes per games, compared to Lloyd's 2.2. Since we're having so much fun playing with statistic, that means Hackett has caught right around 50% more balls per game than Lloyd.

And that fails to take into account the REALLY important point, which is that due to playing more games and inexplicably being a #1 target for the 49ers, Lloyd has had a ton of balls thrown his way. Lloyd made his 116 catches on 266 passes thrown his way. For those keeping track at home, that means he's caught 43.6% of the balls thrown in his direction. Hackett, on the other hand, caught those 105 balls you mentioned on 157 balls thrown his way. That comes out to a tidy 66.9% rate. If you take it upon yourself to compare that rate to other receivers around the league, as I have, you'll find that VERY few can match Hackett's efficiency. For what it's worth, you'll also find that Lloyd's rate is about the lowest you'll ever see.

You also might want to keep in mind that in his 3rd season, Hackett had an injury-interrupted breakout. His ankle sprain kept him off the field, but in the games he DID play, he averaged 5.6 catches for 70.4 yards and .57 TDs. That's a 16 game pace of 89 catches for 1127 yards and a little over 9 TDs.

So you want to pay another mediocre at best free agent decent money when he hasn't out performed Brandon (the paycheck thief) Lloyd? You are entitled to your opinion but just understand how ridiculous it sounds.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Maybe we should clarify that the BIG reciever needs to be R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E

Yes. I absolutely want to pay that free agent. And strangely enough, it doesn't sound ridiculous to me.

I want to bring him in for exactly the same reason you seem to be disparaging him: RELIABILITY. The guy has good size, speed, and explosion. That's been clear ever since he lit the combine up years ago. He also runs good routes, creates good separation, and has excellent hands. That should be clear from the fact that he catches balls thrown to him more efficiently than just about every receiver in the league. And he did this in the SAME offense we'll be running. Next to inferior receiving threats. The guy is exactly the sort of RELIABLE receiver we need to work off the jam and play in the middle of the field.

Fact is, you can't argue with Hackett's production when he's been on the field. Everything about his play says he's everything we need for the split end position to go along with Moss and ARE. Unless your entire point with this post was to show that Hackett has missed games with injury (which I think most people already knew), I think you may have missed the REAL point of bringing in Hackett.

I dont know why but seeing the word bama made me laugh.

Hackett signed with the Hawks already for 5 years...

I think you are thinking of TJ Duckett, Mike.

TJ Duckett = 5yr deal with the Hawks

DJ Hackett = Free Agent WR extraordinaire

Duckett is the original red herring. How many clubs are going to acquire him only to find that he is at best a situational runner who was drafted way too high by the Falcons at #18? :)

Ladell Betts is twice the back that Duckett is and he is still a backup in this league.

Archived