Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer Problem: Device Conflict

PokerPacker

I just started my computer in XP today to notice that my screen resolution was at 800x600 when it should start at 1024x768. i figured that wasn't a problem, i'll just go to the settings and change it, problem solved right? wrong. sure, i'm now running at 1024x768, but i discovered that was just a symptom of a bigger problem, my AGP controller is not working. just scrolling through pages of internet makes it painfully obvious that my video card is not working as it is supposed to, and i went into my device manager to see what the problem was, and on my Processor to AGP controller device, there's a little exclamation mark warning me that there is an error with the device. the problem, as is stated under device status is this: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

I have not added any hardware or anything of the like to my computer anytime recently, so i can't figure out why all of the sudden it can't handle it.

A quick Google check revealed a couple of different answers so it depends on your particular system. Try the easy stuff first:

1. Update to the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

2. Grab the latest video driver. Completely uninstall your old video driver then install the new one.

3. Assuming you have not added any new hardware or software recently. Go into Device Manager and make sure you don't have any conflicts (yellow tags).

4. Light reading from Microsoft at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q133240/

5. Research using Google describing the problem. I would go into the BIOS next if the above didn't work, but that is complicated if you don't know what you are doing.

All else fails....open up the case and try swapping everything into different PCI slots. That's last ditch though. If it worked fine before and just spontaneously started acting up, try uninstalling all the conflicting devices and rebooting. XP is pretty good at reinstalling stuff properly.

ok, well i finally got around to uninstalling the device and restarting the computer, it then reinstalled and we're back at square one. also, i tried to reinstall the video-card driver, but the Forceware drivers did not recognize the video card. (which isn't surprising because a) the agp-cpu controller isn't working and B) the forceware drivers that USED to be installed don't appear anywhere like they should). i'm gonna go check out the BIOS and see if there's anything i can do in there, but i won't hold my breath.

oh, and now that i think about it, this seemed to have happened shortly after i temporarily installed a different hard-drive into my computer; my dad's computer was acting up and he didn't have a floppy drive to use a boot disk so i experimented with my computer. i don't see how that would effect this, however, because it was never installed in conjunction with my XP hard-drive.

edit: went through my BIOS and the IRQ settings, i'm not sure if this means anything, but all on IRQ 11 were:

Nvidia VGA drivers

Intel Serial Bus

Intel Multimedia

Intel USB

i should also mention that everything seems to be working just fine in Linux.

What brand/model is your AGP card?

Resource conflicts are a bit of a rare occurrence in newer OS's since they are very good at automated device configuration, unlike pre-NT4.

So everything works in Linux; we can pretty much throw out an actual hardware issue. In that case I would do a System Restore in Windows and bring the computer back to a state where everything was working fine. You also said you reinstalled the drivers--did you actually uninstall/restart/reinstall the drivers or just installed them again overtop the old ones? It's important that you actually uninstall the drivers first, then when Windows restarts it'll install the card with built-in drivers, and from there you can download an updated driver from the AGP card manufacturer.

Archived