Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Inactivity to Start FA Must Be Killing Czaban and WTEM

bulldog

During the past weeks there have been ad nauseum criticisms of the Redskins for not keeping their promise of CONTINUITY. First it was the hiring of Gregg Williams (which can and should be argued on the merits alone), then it was the departure of Al Saunders and Gibbs' crony Jack Burns.

Czaban's partner on the WTEM show, Andy Pollin, even talked about the departure of one of the team's PR guys :laugh:

Well, it appears the drive for continuity is indeed a watchword for the club's offseason.

The Redskins have reworked contracts to bring back essentially all of the significant contributors from 2007 plus the return of injured players such as Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen.

The offensive staff retains the best position coach on that side of the ball, Joe Bugel, as well as the wide receivers and tight ends coaches. Special teams coach Danny Smith returns.

On defense, Blache returns along with Olivadotti and Jerry Gray coaching the DBs.

One might question the Redskins evaluation of the talent on this club and where the highest priority needs may be - we will have to see what the team does in FA and the draft.

But the unrelenting criticism from Czaban and Pollin in regards to the 'continuity' issue appears at least on the surface on 02/29 at the start of free agency to have been largely unfounded.

From an early vantage point it appears teams like New England and Dallas, despite their 2007 records, may in fact be the ones who have greater personnel turnover due to free agency and trades.

bulldog, in Steve's defense, have you ever tried to fill the airways with actual topics of conversation about sports? Its a very hard job. If even the best have trouble doing it, why would you expect Czaban to be able to fill that role. Its much easier to just throw in the I hate the Redskins comments every once in a while, and stir up reasons for his hatred for the Redskins.

He's been pretty creative with it lately. He did kinda predict that we'd hire Zorn. Well, he didn't actually say "Zorn", but he did predict that it would be "somebody who's not currently on the radar". Of corse to him that meant a big name like Cowher, but he was kinda right.

In the long run, isn't that what makes a good show though?

Listen to the professional grade, John Riggins!!!

Sorry man, but The Sports Reporters blow Riggins outta the water.

If I were not a Redskins and Riggins fan, I would find his show to be unlistenable during the commercial breaks on 980, which is the only time I flip over to 730.

Czabe and Andy sounded like they approved of the Collins contract, despite Czabe saying that he worried Collins would challenge Campbell in the preseason, back in Dec.

Sorry man, but The Sports Reporters blow Riggins outta the water.

If I were not a Redskins and Riggins fan, I would find his show to be unlistenable during the commercial breaks on 980, which is the only time I flip over to 730.

Czabe and Andy sounded like they approved of the Collins contract, despite Czabe saying that he worried Collins would challenge Campbell in the preseason, back in Dec.

Wow i really hate the sports reporters. I rather listen to Kevin, Gary and John any day

During the past weeks there have been ad nauseum criticisms of the Redskins for not keeping their promise of CONTINUITY. First it was the hiring of Gregg Williams (which can and should be argued on the merits alone), then it was the departure of Al Saunders and Gibbs' crony Jack Burns.

Czaban's partner on the WTEM show, Andy Pollin, even talked about the departure of one of the team's PR guys :laugh:

Well, it appears the drive for continuity is indeed a watchword for the club's offseason.

The Redskins have reworked contracts to bring back essentially all of the significant contributors from 2007 plus the return of injured players such as Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen.

The offensive staff retains the best position coach on that side of the ball, Joe Bugel, as well as the wide receivers and tight ends coaches. Special teams coach Danny Smith returns.

On defense, Blache returns along with Olivadotti and Jerry Gray coaching the DBs.

One might question the Redskins evaluation of the talent on this club and where the highest priority needs may be - we will have to see what the team does in FA and the draft.

But the unrelenting criticism from Czaban and Pollin in regards to the 'continuity' issue appears at least on the surface on 02/29 at the start of free agency to have been largely unfounded.

From an early vantage point it appears teams like New England and Dallas, despite their 2007 records, may in fact be the ones who have greater personnel turnover due to free agency and trades.

so are you predicting continuity in the record as well? say 8-8?.... :laugh:

Its much easier to just throw in the I hate the Redskins comments every once in a while, and stir up reasons for his hatred for the Redskins.

Finally, a Czaban supporter admits that Czaban hates the Skins. The rest of us have known this all along, but it's gratifying to finally see one of Czaban's flock admit Czaban's Redskin hatred.

If only Czaban himself would admit this once and for all, we'd be all set.

Finally, a Czaban supporter admits that Czaban hates the Skins. The rest of us have known this all along, but it's gratifying to finally see one of Czaban's flock admit Czaban's Redskin hatred.

If only Czaban himself would admit this once and for all, we'd be all set.

woah there buddy. Don't go that far. I'm far from a Czaban supporter. I'm just a guy who finds his hatred for the skins funny.

So looks like its back to the drawing board with that thesis of yours.

Czaban is not a Redskins hater, he is an opportunist :)

If the Redskins were 14-2 last year and won with an approach in recent years that featured a heavy dose of free agency he would be sniffing around the club and deifying the coaches and players.

But when times are challenging the easiest way to get an audience is to go negative. Real negative.

I objected to the process that took weeks for the Redskins to properly inform Gregg Williams of his status; I think as a productive 4 year employee of the organization he deserved better and more timely communication from the team.

When Czaban and Pollin criticized this aspect of the coaching search I agreed with them 100%.

BUT, the duo made WAY too much of the departure of other less significant actors than Williams after the fact as evidence that the words about continuity were nothing but BS from Snyder and Cerrato.

Judging them on what they have done to this point, it would appear as if given the hiring of a new Head Coach, that indeed there IS going to be continuity heading into 2008, both on the field and in MANY of the coaching slots.

That's just a recognizable reality based on the re-working of the contracts of certain players on the team and the re-signing of Todd Collins today.

Meanwhile, the Patriots 18-1 club seems to be heading to the four winds with the departure of Asante Samuel and the fact both Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth couldn't strike deals to return before the start of FA.

woah there buddy. Don't go that far. I'm far from a Czaban supporter. I'm just a guy who finds his hatred for the skins funny.

So looks like its back to the drawing board with that thesis of yours.

Well you suggest he has a good show, so is it that big of a stretch to call you a supporter?

Regardless, what I always hear from czaban's supporters is that he is in fact this big Redskin fan who really wants the team to win, but he just tells it like it is.

I call B.S. on that and say he just flat-out hates the Skins.

Well you suggest he has a good show, so is it that big of a stretch to call you a supporter?

Regardless, what I always hear from czaban's supporters is that he is in fact this big Redskin fan who really wants the team to win, but he just tells it like it is.

I call B.S. on that and say he just flat-out hates the Skins.

He just likes stirring the pot and getting people to listen for ratings....think Colin Cowherd without the redeeming quailities.

he's not a fan, but a front runner.

when things are going well he is a 'gosh don't they look good' commentator, but while a team in town struggles he writes them off and holds up the respective organizations to ridicule, even as in the Wizards case where injuries alone have ripped apart a once promising season.

watch. he hates hockey, right? :)

if the Capitals continue to get better and contend in the next year or two you will see him all of a sudden be on the bandwagon.

ditto for the Nationals.

You kidding, everybody on 980 is upset except Doc Walker, the only saving grace on 980. For the most part Sport 980 is All Negative All the time< their motto on the Redskins) the Redskins can't do anything right on that station they spend money "they did wrong" they don't spend they did wrong". Than all those Dallas fans call in and jump on the band wagon and say how much they love Mitch and Al, please. Anybody can find folly in a child but, Jesus there haters.

He just likes stirring the pot and getting people to listen for ratings....think Colin Cowherd without the redeeming quailities.

I agree with this statement. I think Czabe is a Skins fan, but somehow feels as a sports talk host that he has to somehow be controversial to get ratings. Steve and Andy envy the Philly sports talk guys, but fail to realize why WIP is successful: the callers drive the discussion. Maybe our local broadcasters should try to take more calls, and also perhaps pay more attention to other sports besides the Skins. Although the pro hoops team has been struggling in large part due to injuries, there are two good college basketball teams in the area. Also, a hockey team who has been playing well the past few months. And a baseball team in spring training who will open a new stadium in a month. Think people might want to talk about this stuff as well?

I generally like Czaban, although he'd possibly rather be right in Redskin ruin than wrong in Redskin success. Its Pollin who annoys me more than anyone. He's the yappy dog on the side that just won't shut up; rehashing the same tired points over and over.

Archived