Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

****. i have to get a root canal

drums and skins

So I've had a sensitive tooth for a good 2-3 months and just went to the dentist today. I probably should have gone earlier, but after all, all I needed to do to not get irritated by my achy tooth was avoid sweets and chew on my left side.

Turns out I need to get a root canal. I've just graduated so I'm no longer included under my parents' insurance, so unless I get a job soon (I have a couple interviews coming up, but thats not promising anything), I'll have to pay out of pocket.

Anybody who has had one of these... Do you recall what sort of fee these run? Any tips on the procedure? Can I be knocked out?

I know they aren't fun, but meh, I can deal with some temporary discomfort or pain if it means relieving something that lingers.

Mine hurt no more than a filling, howeve it takes a lot longer. My dentist charges about $700 for the procedure and another $500 from the crown. You can get the procedure and be good for a while till you get the $500 for the crown. That is the without insurnace price. My insurance made it 50% cheaper.

How can the dentist tell if you need a root canal? The reason I ask this is because I've been having a little discomfort off and on with a tooth on my left side. I totally forgot to ask, but my dentist said nothing about it when I went the last time.

How can the dentist tell if you need a root canal? The reason I ask this is because I've been having a little discomfort off and on with a tooth on my left side. I totally forgot to ask, but my dentist said nothing about it when I went the last time.

If you have some decay, a respectable dentist will know without being told. However, if you are having discomfort, it can be caused by any number of things not cavity related and therefore not detectable by a dentist not looking for it.

They can tell by looking at the xray. If the decay is going into the live part of the tooth....you need a root canal....

So I've had a sensitive tooth for a good 2-3 months and just went to the dentist today. I probably should have gone earlier, but after all, all I needed to do to not get irritated by my achy tooth was avoid sweets and chew on my left side.

Turns out I need to get a root canal. I've just graduated so I'm no longer included under my parents' insurance, so unless I get a job soon (I have a couple interviews coming up, but thats not promising anything), I'll have to pay out of pocket.

Anybody who has had one of these... Do you recall what sort of fee these run? Any tips on the procedure? Can I be knocked out?

I know they aren't fun, but meh, I can deal with some temporary discomfort or pain if it means relieving something that lingers.

It doesn't hurt at all nowadays. And it really doesn't take all that long. Plus, they have a device that keeps your mouth open the whole time. Now for the bad news......... Mine set me back $925. :(

yeah bro i had one done in January and I have a dental plan and still had to pay over $700 out of my pocket and the total was over $2000 with a root canal and crown... good luck!

Oh and it does hurt! lol... sorry but its the truth...

Then the guy who done yours isn't any good.

With mine, when I went in for my regular visit he asked if I had been having any problems with anything. I told him that I had been having some swelling above one of teeth off and on for about a month. So he took some kind of x-ray. And, sure enough, I needed a root canal.

I had one a few months ago, the price was somewhere around $300 with my insurance, that doesn't include the cap (I haven't got it put on yet.)

As far as the pain and everything, it doesn't hurt at all. They numb it up real good although it is kind of annoying because you have to keep your mouth open for an hour and a half. The tootache I had leading up to it was 100 times worse

With mine, when I went in for my regular visit he asked if I had been having any problems with anything. I told him that I had been having some swelling above one of teeth off and on for about a month. So he took some kind of x-ray. And, sure enough, I needed a root canal.

Okay, I got two x-rays when I went, so my dentist would suck if he didn't notice anything on either.

Okay, I got two x-rays when I went, so my dentist would suck if he didn't notice anything on either.

You probably just had the regular x-rays done that you normally have every 6 months to a year. In those, im not sure if he could have detected an abyss (sp) tooth or not. I guess by me telling him of the swelling, he pretty much knew which x-ray to give me to determine the cause. But you would think that he would have discovered something was wrong if he gave you two x-rays, yes. But then again, im not sure what type of x-rays you were given.

You probably just had the regular x-rays done that you normally have every 6 months to a year. In those, im not sure if he could have detected an abyss (sp) tooth or not. I guess by me telling him of the swelling, he pretty much knew which x-ray to give me to determine the cause. But you would think that he would have discovered something was wrong if he gave you two x-rays, yes. But then again, im not sure what type of x-rays you were given.

I'll be pissed if I have something major going on because I just got my wisdom teeth out a few months ago. :laugh: What a hassle.

I'm betting you just have a sweet or cold sensitivity or possibly some mild enamel wear.

I'm thinking that too just because the pain never stays that long and it's only when I chew or when I breathe in cold air.

Their not bad I mangled my two front teeth and had a total of 4 root canals on those. The only thing that is annoying is getting the Novocaine in the roof of your mouth other than that it's a breeze.

Hell I don't even consider it a trip to the dentist anymore unless they break out the drill.

Thanks for all the replies.

As for enjoying the pain pills...

Theres little chance of me getting vicodin. Sure, I could get a prescription and pay out of pocket...or I could just use my percocets leftover from my wisdom teeth removal a two yeas ago.

Even then, I have to pace myself as my mother is a nurse at an addiction clinic :laugh:

Archived