Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Libertarian... It's the new black.

Springfield

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I like a small transperant gov't and would rather congress have more say than the Pres. My neighbors make up for the lack of a local police force. My friends and I grow and exchange different goods for consumption, without a financial value.

IMO, I'm a Lib.

I think the motivation behind the libertarian movement is good, but the ideology is dogmatic and narrow minded, which leads to its followers being the same.
Around this time of year, you're correct.

But I don't find the Paulites and different than the Obamanites. I know the Bushco folks are around, but it's not as easy to talk his line right now.:silly:

You're going to get a lot of "yes" votes, but you'll also note that "Libertarian" means different things to different people.

To some, it means "legalize all drugs, for children". (Yes, I'm exaggerating.)

To others, it means "eliminate all welfare, let 'em starve".

To others, it means (as near as I can tell) "get rid of all progressive taxes, and abolish all laws that affect corporations".

It's like asking people is they agree with the Framers. Problem is, everybody assumes the Framers agreed with whatever position the speaker holds.

Or, you could get a lot of people correcting your punctuation. :)

I thought Libertarian was the new Conservative (neo-neo-conservative)

Nah the majority of "libertarians" I come across are just republicans who are to embarrassed to admit it. They think things like government should outlaw abortion, and a church symbol in court is a good thing. They don't mind the wire tapping or the Patriot Act laws because they think it is a necessity. . .in other words, they are libertarian because they don't want to be associated with a corrupt and horribly inept party, but their base value system is republican.

Heck, I consider myself a libertarian, and I vote as a moderate generally speaking. I like small government, less intervention, more freedoms, and less regulations. . .BUT. . .I can also recognize the need for government and why it exists, so I'm not an anarchist by any stretch. More along the lines of the old conservative democrat, but IMO the libertarians have a heck of a lot more in common with the democrats then the republicans right now.

Nah the majority of "libertarians" I come across are just republicans who are to embarrassed to admit it. They think things like government should outlaw abortion, and a church symbol in court is a good thing. They don't mind the wire tapping or the Patriot Act laws because they think it is a necessity. . .in other words, they are libertarian because they don't want to be associated with a corrupt and horribly inept party, but their base value system is republican.

Heck, I consider myself a libertarian, and I vote as a moderate generally speaking. I like small government, less intervention, more freedoms, and less regulations. . .BUT. . .I can also recognize the need for government and why it exists, so I'm not an anarchist by any stretch. More along the lines of the old conservative democrat, but IMO the libertarians have a heck of a lot more in common with the democrats then the republicans right now.

unfortunate, but true. the republicans have become everything libertarians denounce.

That may be true. There is a guy on 107.7 (washington post radio?) that I listen to at about 7 pm when I'm on my way home. He sounded just like the rest of the Republican talking heads, until last night when he said he was libertarian.

I personally am socially liberal and fiscally conservative, that seems to be the true libertarian viewpoint.

I don't think abortiaon should be made illegal.

I don't think the government should wiretap citizens, or spy on them by any means.

I think marijuana should be legalized.

I think taxes should be low and fair.

I think government spending should be productive and free of "pork".

I have viewpoints that include conservative and liberal ideas. The basis of which prevents the government from interfering with how I would choose to live my life.

Just for the naysayers of my post: I've never had a girlfriend have an abortion and would probably choose life if given the situation. I don't participate in any terrorist organizations or think my phone conversations would harm my charicter. I dont smoke pot (anymore). I'll pay my taxes no matter what they are but... less is more.

I am not libertarian.

However, I work for a newspaper with a libertarian stance. I won't give you any of our websites, because I'm here for pleasure not work, and it does me no good.

But to those of you who are libertarians, our libertarian advisor is Tibor Machan, and if you google him, you may find books or articles of interest to you. I don't know him, and haven't read anything but a handful of editorials we've published, so it's not really a recommendation.

I know, I know, lots of disclaimers, but not being a libertarian, I truly don't know anything about Machan but he shows up in our editorials sometimes. (I'm in advertising, which is a whole different world!)

Archived