Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's really a shame..............

Pete

Having said that I have to agree and we all could make an effort to help spruce up the neighborhood here sometimes, especially with the newer members. I wonder how many have joined, got ripped for a duplicate topic or something that was discussed before they got here and never much posted again.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Keep that up and your wind up being a mod and pulling out your hair.

It got the normal responses, the newbie gets hammered.......... Not one person, short of a staff member, stopped to think of actually steering the guy in the right direction before the thread was closed.

:cheers:

You mean except for Cowpuke Trolls. Right? :laugh:

Good post I'll try to do better myself. HTTR and newbies.

Good read Pete...

I'm relatively new to posting but been reading the forum for many years. I try to stick to news articles and talk show information, things with points of interest not posted. However, if I want to express a simple opinion about a topic, I'll go inside a pertinent thread. There are usually plenty out there! Albeit, it may be difficult with the suspect functionality of the search function! :D

I tend to think some folks, like the thread mentioned, just want to be heard! I didn't enter it because it didn't interest me. Perhaps that's the stance people should take instead of the bashing.

:2cents:

I wholeheartedly agree, Pete.

As someone who would be considered a "newbie" myself, by virtue of the date I joined ES, I have often been disappointed at the pack dog mentality I have seen quickly put into action on new posters here.

Although I am new to ES, I am not at all new to posting on message boards. Because of that, I knew better than to commit the typical faux pas of a forum neophyte so I wasn't the recipent of this type of treatment.

When I see someone new, (who is clearly not just a troll), I try to welcome them. Everyone on this board was "new" at some point and needed a leg up. Unfortunately, the relative anonymity of a message board can turn some real life cowards into virtual bullies.

This type of behavior gives the board a less than sterling reputation and creates unnecessary clean up duties for the mods. It can all be avoided by putting yourself in the other guy's shoes for a minute. Backspace is your friend. :D

I don't know if it would help at all but maybe there could be some sort of permanent sticky thread called "New? Introduce yourself" where at least some new people could post to to stick their toes in the water and get some advice on spending time at ES. It may not help at all ... I don't know. Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks Pete for posting this. :cheers:

The member actually had established a prior account recently under the name Glenn155 but had never posted with it. He forgot how to access that account.

Actually, it wasn't that said member forgot how to access that account, but rather that they clicked the verification link in their e-mail to activate it. Most likely that e-mail went into their spam folder & they never saw it, thus creating a second account with a different e-mail account that they did find the activation link. Needless to say I banned the Glenn155 account due to Rule #1. Which brings me to the number one reason so many new members get into trouble here. They check the box stating that they've read the rules, when they never had. And then we, the Staff, are the bad guys when they get NNT'd or banned.:rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure that my words will fall on deaf ears for the most part, so why do I bother to waste my time................

Pete be positive.

I'm fairly sure that my words will echo in your ears for posts to come. I am being a bother so it doesn't waste my time or yours!:D

Sure I have started some dumb post too without thinking:doh: Got bashed pretty hard about it too. I learned quickly that there are a lot of paranas out there waithing to eat you up alive. So if you can't fight em you join them is the attitute around here and then you become the basher too:doh:

Hopefully this thread will remind people to be nice to others if you want them to be nice to you.

I think alot of us poster forget is that not everyone should know their x's and o's. Not everyone is a football geek. Everyone wants to show others that they are better then others by their bigger football stick. I am guilty of that sometimes.

Again thanks for reminding us we are all human and we need to be NICE and HELPFUL to each others even if we don't know each other personally. :cheers:

I'm so glad this topic came up. I think it is a good reminder for everyone to be respectful of ALL members--not just the "newbies". Thanks to those posters for the reminder that all those here are not necessarily football geeks--I am one of those non-geek types. Not only that, please remember that not all members here are male, or white, or middle class, or technologically hip.

I recently registered my offense at a thread located in the Stadium forum about who you'd like to have as a cheerleader for the team--complete with a picture & link for more "babe shots". The discussion quickly devolved into talk about the young woman's physical attributes and whether or not certain people or players would like to "hit that". A mod was part of that discussion--and not in a "this doesn't belong here" kind of way. It took me 3 PMs to 3 different mods before the thread was moved to the Tailgate forum. I did not receive a single PM response from any of the mods contacted.

The first and only thread I ever started received only about 3 responses before it was promptly moved and I was reprimanded in a condescending manner. Funny how a thread that obviously does not belong in this forum was allowed to go on for 3 or 4 pages of responses. I'm sure that the job of moderating this site is vast. But when a member (in good standing) sends you (a mod) a PM about an obvious infraction of the guidelines you've set down, the least you could do, the respectful thing to do is respond. I've been spending less and less time here lately due to this type of behavior/attitude by members and mods alike. The Stadium's description states that it is the place to discuss Redskins football in "friendly confines". Having members and mods treat any person of my gender like a piece of meat does not create a very friendly atmosphere. I can hear the snickering and sense the eye-rolling from here. But please, think about how you would feel as a man if I posted pictures of Chris Cooley in his short shorts and talked about his physical endowments or about how I'd like to "hit that". I'd be slammed hard and chased out of here faster than Jim Fassell! (haha).

I post this just for your further consideration of showing respect to ALL members--new & old-- when you start a thread or post a comment. I am proud to be to be a Redskins fan and I would like to once again feel welcome and "safe" within these message boards.

Thanks!

HTTR!

I was one of the posters in the thread. I was not trying to hurt anyone. I found humor in the OP, and tried to have some fun with it myself. I can see now that it was wrong to do. I should have left it alone and will in the future.

I did not try and offend the OP, rather just a little playful jabbing. I must ask though, how is this different than the start of the paloff thread? :whoknows:

For the record, here is what I posted and responded to:

Thread Title: "jim zorn new head coach "

OP: "I think jim zorn will do a good job with this team."

Aireskoi: "Is it official now?"

Originally Posted by Enter Apotheosis:

"This just in!

Clinton Portis traded for Champ Bailey and a second round pick. "

Aireskoi: "I will miss Champ, but Clinton Portis?? Yes!"

Sorry Pete and everyone else who was offended. I sincerely appreciate what you are saying and trying to do for the community. This will not happen again with me. :no:

Aireskoi, I wouldn't worry anymore about it. :) You obviously mean well and I doubt you're on anybody's radar or list as an ******* :laugh:

It was a good reminder from Pete to all of us to show the new guy/gal a little more friendly face and the benefit of the doubt.

I would like to say, I'm sorry if this thread made the folks who posted in the thread in question feel awkward, or guilty. It really wasn't ment to berate those who posted. It was more of an epiphany of sorts on my part when looking at that thread, making it clear to me how to help this site flow a bit smoother.

Nothing more, nothing less........

:cheers:

Archived