Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaVar Arrington - Anyone?

wholesaledir

Wha, wha, wha?!?!? His attitude on the field? You mean that attitude that criticized Marvin Lewis for using him the way he thought best? Or the one that wouldn't conform to Gregg Williams' defensive schemes? LaVar did not have a good attitude on the field. The guy couldn't keep his job because he wanted to do his own thing all the time and he was constantly beat by the offense because he was out of position.

His best year came under Marvin Lewis and all he did was cry, moan, and groan, and when the next guy came in, he made it clear he didn't want to play in a three point stance. What makes you think he would rush the passer better today than he did 5 years ago when he couldn't do it? He was a wreck on and off the field. (EDIT: Probably a poor choice of words there. I wasn't referring to his actual motorcycle accident, which I'm glad he came out okay).

H

Lavar did gripe under Marvin Lewis but he also produced. Marvin Lewis talked about Lavar but tell me this. If Lavar was so uncoachable why was he trying to get him before Lavar went to the Giants? I wanted Greg Williams as coach but Williams and Lavar were at fault with that situation. Funny how LB's coach Dale Lindsay got fired and he was the main one bashing Lavar. I could've bought into Williams and Lindsay bashing Lavar but when they put Warrick Holdman in over Arrington, I knew it was more personal. Stevie Wonder could see Lavar was better than Holdman. Williams was arrogant when the defense was ranked #3 at the time, so that was supposed to make everyone blind to the fact the WLB wasn't making any plays. Putting Holdman in and watching teams purposely run at him pissed me off.

Like I said if Lavar signs an incentive Laden contract, I'd sign him.

I have always been a big LaVar supporter. But, as much as I hate to admit it, he's done. It would make no sense to "give him a chance" or "provide an incentive-laden contract" merely for the fact that he makes some of us feel warm and fuzzy inside.

He doesn't look in shape at all, he probably has lingering injuries from the wreck, and he doesn't seem to have that "I-wanna-put-another-QB-into-retirement" fire anymore. Being a LA fan, I wish he was in football shape and playing for the Skins again; but I know better. Some people just need to accept the fact that he's not the beast that he once was.

Wha, wha, wha?!?!? His attitude on the field? You mean that attitude that criticized Marvin Lewis for using him the way he thought best? Or the one that wouldn't conform to Gregg Williams' defensive schemes? LaVar did not have a good attitude on the field. The guy couldn't keep his job because he wanted to do his own thing all the time and he was constantly beat by the offense because he was out of position.

His best year came under Marvin Lewis and all he did was cry, moan, and groan, and when the next guy came in, he made it clear he didn't want to play in a three point stance. What makes you think he would rush the passer better today than he did 5 years ago when he couldn't do it? He was a wreck on and off the field. (EDIT: Probably a poor choice of words there. I wasn't referring to his actual motorcycle accident, which I'm glad he came out okay).

Hail,

H

First off, let me reiterate that I most certainly DO NOT think we should bring him back, nor do I think he'd be terribly effective if we did. I'm simply playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of conversatoin.

Second, I think you're misinterpretting what I'm saying. I wasn't referring to his attitude in terms of his coaches, but rather to his his fellow players in the huddle. He was a vocal, emotional leader with incredible ability and contagious energy that other players clearly fed on, similar to a Ray Lewis or Joey Porter. Defenses since the dawn of time have benefitted greatly from having that emotional leader that can fire up a group of guys in battle.

Now, could he play that role now? Highly doubt it, nor do we really need it, since Fletcher has stepped in and become that guy.

And I totally agree that he blew assignments, butted heads with coaches, (hell he even called out Gibbs for Christ's sake) and that's why he ultimately left, and for good reason.

You asked what he could bring to the team. And I maintain, that if he came back (which I wound't agree we should do because of his health and that he burned too many bridges), he could theoretically become a affordable, situational pass rusher that could provide some pressure and emotional spark on obvious passing situations.

I agree that he didn't look comfortable in a 3 point, but who's to say that he couldn't improve that technique if that's all that he practices? If we converted him to DE and he did nothing but practice the 3-point pass rush this entire off season, I think he could be more effective than Daniels or Evans on 3rd and long. Him and Wilson could split reps and keep each other fresh. Cheap, pass rushing depth. And I would get to pull out my athentic #56 out of the attic.

Again, we're talking theoretically. :)

I wouldnt mind seeing arrington get a 1 year deal to see what hes got in training camp. He is a fan favorite and we could definitly add to depth on defense. I mean 3 years ago he was 1 of the best linebackers in the league and he couldnt of fell off too much. Plus i would like to see him end his career as a redskin. Just like smoot, because thats what both of them are

First off, let me reiterate that I most certainly DO NOT think we should bring him back, nor do I think he'd be terribly effective if we did. I'm simply playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of conversatoin.

Second, I think you're misinterpretting what I'm saying. I wasn't referring to his attitude in terms of his coaches, but rather to his his fellow players in the huddle. He was a vocal, emotional leader with incredible ability and contagious energy that other players clearly fed on, similar to a Ray Lewis or Joey Porter. Defenses since the dawn of time have benefitted greatly from having that emotional leader that can fire up a group of guys in battle.

Now, could he play that role now? Highly doubt it, nor do we really need it, since Fletcher has stepped in and become that guy.

And I totally agree that he blew assignments, butted heads with coaches, (hell he even called out Gibbs for Christ's sake) and that's why he ultimately left, and for good reason.

You asked what he could bring to the team. And I maintain, that if he came back (which I wound't agree we should do because of his health and that he burned too many bridges), he could theoretically become a affordable, situational pass rusher that could provide some pressure and emotional spark on obvious passing situations.

I agree that he didn't look comfortable in a 3 point, but who's to say that he couldn't improve that technique if that's all that he practices? If we converted him to DE and he did nothing but practice the 3-point pass rush this entire off season, I think he could be more effective than Daniels or Evans on 3rd and long. Him and Wilson could split reps and keep each other fresh. Cheap, pass rushing depth. And I would get to pull out my athentic #56 out of the attic.

Again, we're talking theoretically. :)

I totally agree with this ... theoretically speaking. :D No one of us will ever really know what was said by whom, what exactly went down in the whole ordeal. All we have to go by are quotes made by wash post beat writers ... who have clearly had no problem criticizing any player, coach or person related to this organization since Daniel Snyder took over.

I think it's funny that so many people have a problem with Lavar, as if they know him personally, or he stole money from their own pockets. I bet all of you Lavar haters were cheering your *****e$ off for him when he was here playing. I doubt you folks were this critical if him at the time.

On another but related topic, I wanted GW to be our HC ... but my memory isn't that selective that I forget how arrogant this defensive coaching staff was at one point under GW, the complete bombing of FA players that were brought in, etc. ... and the inability to show some loyalty to players who made the defense excel as well (eg. Pierce)

None of you know exactly how it all went down, and I believe there is a little bit of truth to both sides. Dan Snyder and Lavar have reconciled. Whether that ever means he would play again is not the point.

We can all sit here and judge how good of football shape we think he is in, or how effective he may or may not be. But a lot of the people down on Lavar because of what things happened in the past, that were actually reported (correctly or incorrectly) ... resent Lavar for the same reason that a lot of those who support Lavar love him for.

It's essentially the same thing, so bashing others because they would like to see him make it back to the NFL, does not mean it can't, won't, or shouldn't happen.

Hell I'd be happy if he resigned for one day to officially retire as a Redskins. Some folks need to realize he is a human being, just like us and get off of their soap boxes.

Ok I am done ranting, flame away. :D

Lavar did gripe under Marvin Lewis but he also produced. Marvin Lewis talked about Lavar but tell me this. If Lavar was so uncoachable why was he trying to get him before Lavar went to the Giants? I wanted Greg Williams as coach but Williams and Lavar were at fault with that situation. Funny how LB's coach Dale Lindsay got fired and he was the main one bashing Lavar. I could've bought into Williams and Lindsay bashing Lavar but when they put Warrick Holdman in over Arrington, I knew it was more personal. Stevie Wonder could see Lavar was better than Holdman. Williams was arrogant when the defense was ranked #3 at the time, so that was supposed to make everyone blind to the fact the WLB wasn't making any plays. Putting Holdman in and watching teams purposely run at him pissed me off.

Like I said if Lavar signs an incentive Laden contract, I'd sign him.

Amen to that brother. Amen :applause: :cheers:

Arrington was a one or 2 PLAY a game guy, usually ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Could not read plays, could not diagnose schemes. All he had going for him was attitude and the few tackles a game he did make were hard hitting. I will take a 10 takcle a game guy rather than 1 BIG HIT a game guy any day. OVERRATED...

Everyone forgets that in 2005 we lost the games that GW put Arrington on the bench and as soon as he was back on the field our defense was fueled and great. His INT in the playoff game in Tampa sealed the deal. LaVar was a playmaker on a bad team most of his career. I say bring him back on a minimal contract. He said on Comcast after the last game that he can run fast. He also looked in shape on Comcast compaired to ST's funeral where he was overweight. I would not be surprised to see him playing again. He said he wants to play, but there are some circumstances that might prevent him from returning.

:)

And I guess my point is that he didn't provide that when he was young and healthy, so I don't see him suddenly becoming that type of player.

He was over-rated out of college, and washed up now. I just don't see any redeeming qualities he could provide us other than making fans feel better about forking out a lot of dough for his jersey.

But it really sounds like we agree.

Hail,

H

Archived