Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glenn Dorsey

BMahoney

First and Foremost if your just going to roast the idea and tell me how dumb I am please save your time and mine... JUST DONT POST

I just got the crazy idea, and yes I know it is a crazy idea but if Dorsey gets to lets say the third or fourth pick, should we make a move up to get him? This guy was a straight beast, I just can't imagine him as a bust with his physical stature combined with his physical capabilities. I don't know the exact scenario in which this could work out, but wouldn't you trade our first maybe another draft pick and I dunno whatever else that teams needs may be, in order to get him?

Just an idea, if you have knowledge as to why this wouldn't work for us, or why it may be a bad idea. But if I may reiterate as above if your are simply going to say dumb idea, why don't you just save us all a little time.

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts. Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, provided without the editorializing of titles by members.

I think Dorsey is going to be a beast on the next level. I just have a hard time trading for him. I agree that we have a huge need on the Defensive line but we have alot of holes to fill this year DE,DT,OL,CB, WR we need to keep as many draft picks as possible and leave it to our scouts to find gems. I have faith in our scouting department becuase they found Golston, Heyer, Alexander, Doughty, Blades etc..

I think the more picks we have the more talent we can bring in. :2cents:

Looking over the Draft I think our best hope is that Dorsey will fall to three or four, the St. Louis Rams and the Atlanta Falcons, possibly Oakland at 2. The problem with Oakland is they are a team in rebuilding(probably looking for draft picks), but who knows with Al Davis we might be able to throw them Lloyd, Betts, 1st and 2nd next year. This may work if Porter goes somewhere else, leaving them empty at the WR position. St. Louis is a pretty good all around team that was plagued by injuries this season, they really need help on the o-line so I doubt they will trade probably pick up long if he is there. THen we have ATL they are the fourth so it is likely he might not make it here, but ATL is in desperate need of a qb, and IMO they could definitely still pick one up with the 21st pick, so we could possibly trade them a Betts, Washington (dont hate me for saying it), and a 2nd rd next year. Dont know if washinton is too old to be involved in trades... we also have springs whom we could shop (If he doesn't restructure)

Would we like Dorsey? Of course. But what would you propose we do to get him? That's where you'll have a debate.

Would you give up this year's first and third and next year's first?

Give up two firsts and Betts (not sure that would do it though)?

What do you propose?

Hail,

H

Exactly. Anything's possible if you want to break the bank.

I'd love to have Dorsey. And Chad Johnson. And Asante Samuel. And Randy Moss.

I'd also like to retain our core players.

I'd also like to not give up any draft picks this year or any other year.

I'd also like to be under the cap in the next two months so we can sign our draft picks.

THE PROBLEM:

Our current situation would probably allow us to get one guy in the first list of players OR get all of the next three options.

Choice seems clear to me.

Looking over the Draft I think our best hope is that Dorsey will fall to three or four, the St. Louis Rams and the Atlanta Falcons, possibly Oakland at 2. The problem with Oakland is they are a team in rebuilding(probably looking for draft picks), but who knows with Al Davis we might be able to throw them Lloyd, Betts, 1st and 2nd next year. This may work if Porter goes somewhere else, leaving them empty at the WR position. St. Louis is a pretty good all around team that was plagued by injuries this season, they really need help on the o-line so I doubt they will trade probably pick up long if he is there. THen we have ATL they are the fourth so it is likely he might not make it here, but ATL is in desperate need of a qb, and IMO they could definitely still pick one up with the 21st pick, so we could possibly trade them a Betts, Washington (dont hate me for saying it), and a 2nd rd next year. Dont know if washinton is too old to be involved in trades... we also have springs whom we could shop (If he doesn't restructure)

I really don't think any team will trade a possible anchor for the next 10 years at DT for a backup RB, a banged up old LB and a first.

At least I wouldn't think any GM would.

You are going to trade a backup RB and an aging LB and next year's second rounder for a #3 overall pick?

Why would any sane team do that?

The #4 pick is worth 1800 points.

The #21 pick is worth 800 points

This is how you equal 1800.

This year's #21: 800 +

Next year's #1: 400+

This year's #2: 370 +

This year's #3: 165 +

This year's #6: 19 (1754)

Plus some decent player with a decent contract (Ladell Betts, I guess)

Now

The #4 pick in the draft is worth the Skins #21 pick plus the equivalent of the #16 pick in this year's draft. Next year's first round pick gets downgraded one level. So, you probably need to give up this year's first, and second round picks, next years first, PLUS a little extra. That's at least three potential starters. Too expensive. I wish we could but there are too many other needs.

Ok I obviously was a little underinformed in how much it takes to much up in the draft I apologize and thank you for filling me in;

So here is the situation that might work:

-We are talking about the ATL falcons with an aging Dunn and the need for a 1-2 punch w/ Norwood Betts could fill that roll.

-We give them next years first and a second day this year.

I can't imagine giving up that much more for an unproven player, especially in today's nfl where unsigned free agents can turn out to be studs.

Ok I obviously was a little underinformed in how much it takes to much up in the draft I apologize and thank you for filling me in;

-We are talking about the ATL falcons with an aging Dunn and the need for a 1-2 punch w/ Norwood Betts could fill that roll.

I can't imagine giving up that much more for an unproven player, especially in today's nfl where unsigned free agents can turn out to be studs.

That situation seem more realistic. but how can we invest so much in a DT especially when Calias Campbell who is physically more gifted but less polished could be available where we are picking. Also Phillip Merling is getting alot of praise as the best run stopper in the draft.

Not enough.

Study this:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html

It's a guidebook, not a rulebook but it puts you in the territory.

This year's 1, next year's #1, and second day equals about 1250 points. Players are hard to calculate, but I figure Betts is worth a fourth rounder.

You still need to find at least 400 points to make it work. Which is this years #2 and #3.

Dorsey is going to be a heck of a player and would be wonderful for our defense as a whole. That being said we simply have too many needs and too little amunition to acquire him. Going by the value chart even give or take a few hundred points it's just too much. We could use starters/future starters at DE, DT, CB, S, OLB, and all down the OL. We would basically be giving our whole draft this year or multiple first day picks in next year's draft for an unproven commodity at a position that is not in the top 3 of need. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone of his calibre will fall for a stupid reason, but I think we should concentrate more on who will be there at #21 rather than what would it take to get inside the top 5.

yeah it is a dumb idea. The kind of package it would take to get up in that range would be for 1. Expensive (probably cost us an additional #1 for next year or some combination of #2 and #3 this year). D tackle is not our problem. We need a beast d-end desperately in need of wr help offensive lineman. Infact I'd say LB and Secondary are our most pressing needs on defense. If the skins made this move they would be absolute morons.

I, like many others on this board would salivate were we to land Dorsey because not only does he dominate like Warren Sapp at the DT position, he's apparently blessed with a solid character. That said, we don't have the money to trade up, we don't have enough depth elsewhere on this team where trading up for him would make sense, we would pay a premium for him to move up and finally, draft day trades really do not happen very often come the actual draft day (though curiously they are discussed as if they happen all the time, which they just don't). We can always wonder how great he'll be but at least if he goes in the top 5 it won't be to a division rival.

I don't really think we need him to be honest. Cornelius Griffin, while not having nearly the same talent level as Dorsey, is still a pretty solid DT. He does what you ask him to do and can usually help push up the middle. Him and big man Montgomery, the complement, have done well in preventing runs up the middle. The only problem with Griffin was his health, but it seems with a good rotation of Golston and Montgomery, and even Evans, this was not much of a problem in 2007.

I'd rather draft a DE, as many others would.

Dorsey does have talent and should be a good player in the NFL, but he's not a "must-have" by any stretch. I honestly think the only "must-haves" in this draft are Chris Long and Darren McFadden. Long has that talent and character to play hard. While I wouldn't trade up a bunch to get him since we do have other needs, he is someone to try for. McFadden is just a really good RB. He may not get to be in a situation like Adrian Peterson, but he'll still be really good.

Archived