Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: Head Coach Jim Zorn Introductory Press Conference (Write-up)

JimmiJo

ES COVERAGE: HEAD COACH JIM ZORN INTRODUCTORY PRESS CONFERENCE

ZORN.JPG

02/10/08

:helmet:

Surprise, surprise.

Welcome my friends to Redskins Park where we gather to meet Jim Zorn, our new head coach. His naming left us scratching our head a bit last night. It was certainly not what we expected. It was certainly not what was predicted. In reading the board over the past month I can’t count how many posts I read bemoaning the fact that we were going to get a has-been to coach the team. Well guess again.

So what do you think about having Zorn as our new coach? Other than remembering his playing days (and what I have read in the last day) I know very little about him. It should be noted that players who know him speak very highly of him. According to team reports Dan Snyder was very impressed with him on his initial interview and confided to Joe Gibbs that he would make a good coach.

While some in the media are already characterizing the Zorn hire as a last man standing sort of deal, and one of desperation, I am willing to be patient and give him and Snyder a chance before passing judgment. I am a bit impressed that Snyder would be willing to take a chance on a guy that wasn’t even a coordinator.

Speaking of the media I have to hand it to the team in keeping this quiet as the media had no clue that it would be Zorn. I think we can say that no-one, repeat, NO-ONE saw this coming. Not at least until Joseph White from the AP broke the story an hour or so before it was released officially.

Candidates

The Redskins said yesterday that they interviewed 10 candidates for the head coach position. That is all they are saying. I have nine names (in no particular order) and one may be a guess. I and am still trying to nail number 10 down:

1. Jim Schwartz

2. Ron Meeks

3. Steve Spagnuolo

4. Jim Zorn

5. Jim Fassel

6. Steve Mariucci

7. Gregg Williams

8. Pete Carroll (maybe)

9. Jim Mora Jr.

10. ?

Some here have surmised that Bill Cower could be the 10th.

Gibbs

Joe Gibbs is here today. One of the cameramen for a local station observed him arrive. He went up to the side door of Redskins Park and found that his keyfab no longer opened the door. He had to knock and wait until someone came and opened it.

Ok, so I am here. Murf will be joining me shortly and together we will capture the moment for posterity’s sake. If you have any intelligent questions for me to try and ask please feel free.

2:25PM

Still no Murf. Damn Irish and their late-night antics.

I saw that JLC is reporting Stump Mitchell as a possible next RB coach. I think this is pretty valid as I heard it from another source as well today.

UPDATE: It's official - the Washington Redskins will face the Indianapolis Colts in the Hall of Fame game Sunday, Aug. 3rd at 8 p.m.

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Coach Jim Zorn click HERE

To listen to comments from Vinny Cerrato click HERE

To listen to comments from Joe Gibbs click HERE

To listen to comments from Coach Greg Blache click HERE

To listen to comments from Coach Danny Smith click HERE

To listen to comments from Steve Largent click HERE

Maroon and Black?!

Ok, I’m going to let that one go. He’s a new head coach in the pressure cooker that is Washington Football. I guess I can look past his indiscretion. But I can tell by your comments that his misstep did not go unnoticed.

Actually I joked with a few writers that despite what else was said “maroon and black” would be the most discussed item. Glad to know I can still call it.

So what did you guys think? I think he was very nervous to start. He seemed to get into after 10 minutes or so. He is quite a departure from Joe Gibbs in the way he deals with the media and how he answers the questions. Actually I thought we had a few ‘deer in the headlight’ moments.

Dan Snyder started the presser by describing today as “a great day at Redskins Park.” Snyder then took a moment to thank the fans for patience and understanding throughout this process. That he would do that settles the question of whether or not he reads ES as I don’t recall much patience or understanding going on lately.

Just sayin’…

Snyder spoke to Zorn’s character and integrity. He reiterated that he told Joe Gibbs early-on that he felt Zorn was a good candidate for head coach. Snyder also mentioned that he spoke to Gibbs almost daily during this process.

Next Zorn got up and said how excited he was to be the head coach of the Redskins. He thanks Snyder for the opportunity, paid homage to Gibbs, and spoke about how he is going to get started.

Zorn said a few remarkable things I thought. One was that he expects the players to “punish themselves.” I can’t wait to see how Clinton Portis likes that. He also said he plans to work quite a bit with Jason Campbell. This was the sort of thing that suggested he may not have a full appreciation of what the job will require as head coach. I did love his explanation of how he wants his quarterback to play, citing throwing the ball before the receiver breaks and raising his stance behind center.

Some other key points:

• The Redskins will have a west coast-type offense

• The Redskins will not abandon the running game

• Zorn is going to be relying on the veteran coaches here for support and guidance

• Zorn will also be relying on Joe Gibbs from time-to-time for support and guidance

• Zorn loves Randle El and Cooley

• Zorn loves Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts, and made a special mention of Mike Sellers saying that the offense will need a good fullback

• Greg Blache will run the defense and Zorn will let him

I was able to get a few questions in, the first being when he learned that he was being considered for HC and how that struck him. I then asked him about the running game specifically Portis and Betts.

Following the presser we were able to interview some of the other coaches and you can listen to the audio above. Most if not all of the coaches were in the room during the presser.

Since I didn’t know much about Zorn I was keen to hear what others thought of him. Both Coach Greg Blache and Coach Danny Smith were effusive in their praise. Blache was very confident that the team made a good pick. Danny Smith’s said the same thing, mentioning that he has known Zorn for some time and always figured him to be a head coach.

So I am anxious to read all of your comments. Murf will have photos up later and maybe a write-up as well. We learned today definitively that the Redskins will face the Colts in the Hall of Fame game in Canton Ohio in August. With a new coach we get an extra mini-camp.

And oh yea, free agency starts in under three weeks.

Off-season, what off-season?

That's kinda funny about Gibbs not being able to get in.

**Knocks on door, points at his face.**

I'm heavily on-board with Zorn. Our offense has been inconsistent and mediocre for years now. We're bringing in a guy who will not be curbed by a head coach. His ideas will be directly fed to Campbell.

Kinda like Sean Payton in NO.

But I also feel that he has a good vibe. I think the Gibbs comparisons are somewhat warranted. Surely any comparison is a reach, but what stands out is the effort he makes to get to know his players on a personal level.

I think his sincerity will come off well and result in a smooth transition for the players.

Whether that results in Wins is up in the air. We NEED Campbell to get with Zorn soon because his entire game is going to get retooled. If Zorn can take a 6th round QB in Hasselback and turn him into a pro-bowl guy, he can do wonders for Jason. But it's going to be a process and JC really needs to embrace this situation.

Jim Zorn,

Will you call your own offense on Sundays? Also, we have heard alot about the west coast offense, but in your own words could you explain your offensive philosophy.

That is probably the question of the day - who will act as offensive coordinator?

Why announce this late on a Saturday night.....and does this deflect any attention from Art Monk and D Green?

Why not just wait until Monday?

That I think would have been a better question in 1990. In the age of Internet and 24-hour sports news the word went out quickly.

I'm glad they announced yesterday as I was weary of watching the fan-base on this site feed on itself.

I have a couple of questions if you get a chance.....

How much will he be involved with the hiring of coaches? With most of the staff hired before he was hired, he hasnt had much of a chance to work with these people, and might have very differnt ideas on how to do things.

As of now, our team has been build on running the ball inside with a Offensive line that may not be well suited for alot of schemes associated with the WCO. How does he think he will be able to best use the talent that he has here? Will he bend his scheme to match the players strengths and in essence have a hybrid WCO, or will he make alot of trades for players better suited for a pure WCO?

Archived