Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Inside the NFL: Cancelled!!!!!!!

ECU-ALUM

http://relevantworldnews.blogspot.com/

Inside the NFL Cancelled

The incredible run is over. After 31 years on HBO, “Inside the NFL” wrapped up its final weekly show on the cable channel on Wednesday night.

Len Dawson, who was there at the start in 1978 and remained on “Inside the NFL” for more than two decades, also was flown in by HBO to tape a segment for the final show.

“It’s surprising in a way that it’s the last show on HBO because I thought it was very popular,” Dawson said by phone earlier Wednesday. “They let me know last weekend and asked me to keep the whole thing quiet because not many people knew it was coming to an end. I was shocked at first.

“But then when you think about it, I’m sure it’s just the right business decision (for HBO). When we started, this was really the first weekly show where you could see highlights of the games. But now, by the time the show comes out Wednesday, people have seen all the highlights on NFL Network or ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPN12 or whatever.”

HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said of the show, “It has been a terrific franchise. But the television landscape has changed quite a bit over the last 30 years, and we have to recognize the realities of the business. I’m not sure we had one competitor when the show launched in 1978.”

Now, however, competitors abound, starting with the NFL Network, which is all football, seven days a week.

“The weekly highlights of games, the staple of ‘Inside the NFL,’ will continue through NFL Films,” said Dan Masonson, NFL manager of corporate communications. “And we look forward to finding a new partner, a new outlet this fall.”

Don’t be surprised if that outlet is the NFL Network.

As for Dawson, he has been left to reminisce this week.

“I haven’t been with the show for a while,” he said, “but it’s still a little like when your career comes to an end. You just look back and try to hang on to the memories. It was a big part of my life.”

Good.

That show went to hell these last 4 or 5 years. It once was one of the great shows on TV with ALL the games getting highlighted by NFL Films. It devolved into a blabberfest with a bunch of morons with highlights thrown in here and there and the usual suspects of teams getting the featured highlight package.

It was never the same when Dawson and Bonicontti left...They were very fair and equal to ALL teams...Not the idiots that run the show now...or DID!!!

Agreed. Inside the NFL was the best football show during the '80s and '90s. It was on this show that I first heard about Tony Dungy trying to get a head coaching job, and this was back in the late '80s.

It was never the same when Dawson and Bonicontti left...They were very fair and equal to ALL teams...Not the idiots that run the show now...or DID!!!

This is so true, it used to be a high light show and they spent at least 3 minutes on every game. I really liked the footage.

The assclowns ruined it by all their talking about crap that nobody cared about. People tuned in to see the highlights of their team.

I used to love that show when Nick and Len were on it. Collinsworth didn't even bother me that much (besides, he's a Gator). But when they brought on Dan Marino and Chris Carter, it started it's slide.

This last show, Carter was being an ******* about not being a first ballot HoF'er, saying "what if something happens to me this year, or something happens to my son and he isn't there to present me .." What a jackass!

I've not watched too many shows the last couple of years. They almost always pick against the Skins, and they are pretty irrelevant. I can watch all the highlights I want on NFL Network, and besides, I usually have the game on my DVR so I can watch it over again anyway.

Archived