Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are any of these guys really worth this much money in cap space based on production?

JSSkinz

Only Brunell and Springs had cap hits that seem higher than their value.

However, Springs refused to rework his contract, and could be gone this offseason anyway. However, Springs was an invaluable part of our D this year, and I am glad he was able to stay healthy.

Brunell was given a starting QB contract, cuz he was a starting QB. This was the last yer of his contract though, so the hit, despite him reworkinghis contract several times to help out the team, was alittle high, especially now since he is/was the 3rd QB.

Only Brunell and Springs had cap hits that seem higher than their value.

However, Springs refused to rework his contract, and could be gone this offseason anyway. However, Springs was an invaluable part of our D this year, and I am glad he was able to stay healthy.

Brunell was given a starting QB contract, cuz he was a starting QB. This was the last yer of his contract though, so the hit, despite him reworkinghis contract several times to help out the team, was alittle high, especially now since he is/was the 3rd QB.

I guess I am more focused on this years cap #'s. Even $7mil for Cooley is high, he needs to catch at least 80 balls this year, I know some will disagree but I dont think our tackles are worth that much, Samuels may be worth 5 or 6 mill but not Jansen. I hate to say it but we need to rebuild our O-line. I know Samuels has made pro bowls but he seems to get owned by the better d-ends in the league, he definately is not a dominant tackle.

Brunell is a given. I like the guy but thats WAY too much for a third string QB. The wild card in the equation is the west coast offense. Can Campbell adapt quick enough? Will Collins be as good in a WCO? Brunell may end up shining. I think he came from a WCO in Jacksonville.

Portis is my next issue just because he makes so damn much. Even if you think he is better than Betts, is he worth 5 million more? The guy has had a lot of wear and tear, are his best years behind him? We need to beef up the O line no matter what we do. Could we draft a young running back with fresh legs that could do as well for a fraction of the cost?

Brandon Lloyd. 4 million for what? Is he going to be a factor in the new offense? I doubt it.

I don't know what the difference is between the cap hit for keeping them or cutting/trading them but those are the big three that pop out on me.

You really think Springs earned that money? He's good and all, but he got schooled in Seattle and that has got to be top-8 money for a CB. Outside the Seattle game, Sellers earned his paycheck, and I guess there's something to be said for Samuels, Kendall, and Rabach starting all 16 games. maybe Thomas and Jansen can break them off a piece of their ridiculous contracts. Just a lesson, kids--converting money into signing bonuses isn't always the best move! Maybe that's why no other franchises do it?

You really think Springs earned that money? He's good and all, but he got schooled in Seattle and that has got to be top-8 money for a CB. Outside the Seattle game, Sellers earned his paycheck, and I guess there's something to be said for Samuels, Kendall, and Rabach starting all 16 games. maybe Thomas and Jansen can break them off a piece of their ridiculous contracts. Just a lesson, kids--converting money into signing bonuses isn't always the best move! Maybe that's why no other franchises do it?

The only reason I think it was worth it last year is because there really wasnt anyone else in free agency to get besides the guy from buffalo and I believe he makes more than Springs. I do agree with you somewhat as we need to get a stud CB that is in his 20's. Shawn is on his last leg and nobody knows what will happen with Carlos. Smoot is worth every penny of the 2.5 mill he makes if he continues to play like he did last year, we just need someone to compliment him.

I'd put Griff and Daniels on the bubble heading into preseason and try to unload Brunell and Lloyd but other than that, everyone else with a multi-million dollar cap hit is a keeper. Jansen and Thomas also need to prove they can stay healthy but either way, they can't be easily replaced, especially not by someone cheaper.

I honestly don't know how the coaches can make these decisions, I love everybody. I've still got Wynn on my Madden team even though I have no real use for him.

Let's see the cap hit to cut them.

12 million dead money BEFORE anyone is cut.

If this team had a brain, it would get rid of most of them, take the 30 million dollar cap hit, and rebuild.

You know see what I often point out--the price for our "cap management genius" is the inability to cut people because their entire salary is basically a signing bonus that counts against the cap once you send them packing. This results in exactly what we see--overpriced veterans who are underperforming, but whom we cannot cut, or choose not to, because the cap hit is almost as great as their salary that year.

Also, we overpay people so much, it makes them almost impossible to trade. This means teams will just wait for us to cut them, then sign them for 1/2 to 1/3 what we were paying, and we get stuck with dead cap money.

What a mismanaged franchise.

My cut list:

1. Thomas or Jansen (Ca't have both around at those cap numbers)

2. Brunell- No brainer

3. M. Washington- Has the restructure or should not be brought back ath this age and declining production

4. Lloyd- No brainer

5. P. Daniels- Age, declining production, has to go

I would cut Springs if we sign somebody in FA for less then he's making....But I wouldn't cut him until that was done.

My cut list:

1. Thomas or Jansen (Ca't have both around at those cap numbers)

2. Brunell- No brainer

3. M. Washington- Has the restructure or should not be brought back ath this age and declining production

4. Lloyd- No brainer

5. P. Daniels- Age, declining production, has to go

I would cut Springs if we sign somebody in FA for less then he's making....But I wouldn't cut him until that was done.

I'm surprised most of you are leaving Portis off your list. He has to be one of the most overhyped players we have ever signed. Yes the guy has talent and good personality but I'm not sure him or Santana can handle big game pressure. Just look at whats happened since they have been here. Over 8 mill for Portis next year is crazy. I would rather get rid of him, go with Betts or draft a RB in the 2nd round and then use the extra money for a big time younger tackle to take Jansens place and with Jansen gone we might even be able to get another impact player for the d-fence. Just a thought!

Archived