Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com-Giants defensive coordinator Spagnuolo interviews with Redskins

ljs

Just found this on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8068746a&template=without-video&confirm=true

WASHINGTON -- Twenty-four hours after his defense stymied the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl, New York Giants assistant Steve Spagnuolo had to steady himself amid euphoria and begin his interview process with the Washington Redskins.

Spagnuolo and team owner Dan Snyder spoke by phone for 90 minutes Monday night about the Redskins coaching vacancy. Then, after another euphoric moment -- Tuesday's ticker-tape parade for the Giants through Manhattan in which players and coaches received keys to the city -- Spagnuolo was to be picked up by one of Snyder's planes and flown to Washington so the two could talk face-to-face at Snyder's house.

Spagnuolo was to spend the night at a guesthouse on Snyder's property -- the same treatment given several other contenders for the job -- before resuming the interview Wednesday morning.

The talks were confirmed by two people familiar with the Redskins selection process, both speaking on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because the team has preferred to keep details of the process private.

Spagnuolo, Ron Meeks and Jim Fassel are the three remaining possible replacements for Joe Gibbs, who resigned Jan. 8. Snyder plans to huddle with his brain trust late Wednesday with the hope of making a selection. He would then have to negotiate a contract with his choice before making an announcement, which could come Thursday or Friday.

Spagnuolo couldn't be any hotter at the moment. His defense sacked Tom Brady five times and held the Patriots -- who hadn't scored fewer than 20 points in a game all season -- to 14 points in one of the biggest upsets in Super Bowl history.

This was the 48-year-old coach's first season as a defensive coordinator, and it couldn't have started off any worse -- 80 points allowed in the first two games -- but New York's late season surge put him on Snyder's list of candidates, with the owner not realizing at the time that he would have to wait several weeks for an interview because of the Giants' unexpected Super Bowl run.

Spagnuolo has a history with the Redskins, albeit brief, having been a front office intern in 1983. He also spent two seasons as an assistant coach in NFL Europe and was with the Philadelphia Eagles for eight seasons -- the last three as linebackers coach -- before joining the Giants last year.

Meeks and Spagnuolo are similar candidates. Neither has been a head coach, and Meeks, 53, was in Spagnuolo's position a year ago, having won a Super Bowl as the defensive coordinator with the Indianapolis Colts. Meeks was also the secondary coach when the St. Louis Rams won the NFL title in 2001. Like Spagnuolo, he has spent a season with the Redskins, coaching the defensive backs in 2000.

Meeks and former New York Giants coach Fassel have each met with Snyder multiple times about the job. Both have had to wait out the process while Snyder bided his time for a chance to talk to Spagnuolo.

Snyder has met with several other candidates, all of whom are no longer under consideration for various reasons. Those candidates included Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Seattle Seahawks defensive backs coach Jim Mora, Redskins assistant Gregg Williams, former San Francisco 49ers and Detroit Lions coach Steve Mariucci and Southern Cal coach Pete Carroll.

No thanks. I hate these assistant coaches who were nobody's (he was let go by the Eagles a year earlier) and have 1 great year and they're the next great thing. Mooch!!!

Yeah... because Mooch was so unbelievably successful as a head coach. What about prospects like Joe Gibbs back in the day... we shouldn't have hired him, assistant coach who did nothing (sarcasm).

Don't get me wrong... I like Mooch, but there's not much to your post is all I'm saying. :helmet:

No thanks. I hate these assistant coaches who were nobody's (he was let go by the Eagles a year earlier) and have 1 great year and they're the next great thing. Mooch!!!

I'm pretty sure he left the Eagles because he got a promotion to DC on the Giants.

Where did the Giants finish in total defense this year? The Redskins and Giants had the same ranking. The Giants gave up slightly more yards on the ground and the Redskins yielded slightly more pass yards than the Giants. The NYG also gave up more yards a game on average than the Redskins.

Hiring this Spags guy is not a good idea. Williams defense did a much better job than Spagnulo's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?sort=ypg&stat=team&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2007

Hiring this Spags guy is not a good idea. Williams defense did a much better job than Spagnulo's.

Williams defense got owned by the patriots and other high powered offenses. He doesn't believe in DL and thats enough for me not to like him. The only reason i wanted to hire him cuz joe gibbs recommend him if those reports are true and it would be perfect for him as the stop gap til we get cowher

Did the eagles not have a successful defense and linebackers?

so let me get this straight you want this guy because he had one good year as a DC. and you are the person that said that the other guy was not saying much about Mooch!!! With Mooch he has at least had 2 head coaching gigs. While in San Fran he made the playoffs multiple times and in Detroit well who wins in Detroit! You are basing some guy to be our Head Coach over what he did in one year and that is not to say that we are going to have to same results on D because we do not have the same players!! And keep in mind that he did not draft these players they were just handed to him. What is next are you also going to want Wade Phillips as the general manager!

Where did the Giants finish in total defense this year? The Redskins and Giants had the same ranking. The Giants gave up slightly more yards on the ground and the Redskins yielded slightly more pass yards than the Giants. The NYG also gave up more yards a game on average than the Redskins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?sort=ypg&stat=team&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2007

The Pats put up 52 against us

so let me get this straight you want this guy because he had one good year as a DC. and you are the person that said that the other guy was not saying much about Mooch!!! With Mooch he has at least had 2 head coaching gigs. While in San Fran he made the playoffs multiple times and in Detroit well who wins in Detroit! You are basing some guy to be our Head Coach over what he did in one year and that is not to say that we are going to have to same results on D because we do not have the same players!! And keep in mind that he did not draft these players they were just handed to him. What is next are you also going to want Wade Phillips as the general manager!

YES!! EXACTLY!! Steve Spagnulo is a beast, mariachi is a failure. He proved himself this year, every HC starts off as an assistant or coordinator, so we better pick this guy up before someone else does next year and he goes on to be the next Lombardi

Archived