Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Fuel to keep the Re-tread Fire Burning

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 4:15 p.m. EST, February 4, 2008

ANOTHER ARGUMENT FOR RETREADS

As the Washington Redskins continue their search for a new head coach via a process that is considering two guys (Jim Fassel and Steve Mariucci) who previously have been fired by other teams, here's something else to consider when considering retreads.

With the Giants and coach Tom Coughlin winning Super Bowl XLII, nine of the last eleven NFL Championships have been captured by coaches on their second NFL head-coaching jobs. And only one of them (Jon Gruden of the Bucs) hadn't been fired. (Okay, it would have still been nine-of-eleven if the Pats had won, since New England coach Bill Belichick is on his second gig, too.)

As we've previously mentioned, five of the final eight teams from the 2007 playoffs were coached by men who have been fired at least once. Including Mike Holmgren of the Seahawks, the coaches of six of the final eight are on at least their second team. Two of the eight are on their third...

Click link for full entry

I probably refresh PFT about 10-20 times a day, yet still seem to miss new rumors/stories on the Skins.

Florio is probably right about Spags "would be smart" to wait another year. He's implying more choices, better choices and he'd also probably get to choose his own coordinators.

Yet I saw somewhere, perhaps another post, that basically said Spags was [in the end] happy that his assistants were already in place when he got the NY DCoord gig. Take that for what it's worth, but it sounds like he could be more flexible than other coaches that have passed through our town before.

I probably refresh PFT about 10-20 times a day, yet still seem to miss new rumors/stories on the Skins.

He posts two stories at once a lot, but I know what you mean.

There is a point to be made for re-treads. I haven't been big on Fassel or Mooch, but a guy who's been in that position knows what it takes and if they've been fired I'm sure they have thought about what they would do differently.

The idea that young guys are hungrier than others is a bit of a joke to me. If you're a HC then your goal is to win a SB. Plain and simple.

I would love to promote a coordinator and have him take our team the distance, however, I'm leary of a one year coordinator taking over the reins.

That's not to say I'm not worried about either Fassel or Mooch, but there is something to be said about coaches that have post season and possibly Super Bowl experience under their belt.

Ideally, I'd like to promote a guy who has a few years as a coordinator under his belt with post season experience.

After reading a lot about both, I get the feeling that Fassel may be better at picking and developing talent. He's also put up with all the crud from the NY media and competed in the NFCE.

However, I like Mooch's personality much better.

Man, the NFCE is going to be wicked next year. We'd better have our stuff together.

:2cents:

After reading a lot about both, I get the feeling that Fassel may be better at picking and developing talent. He's also put up with all the crud from the NY media and competed in the NFCE.

However, I like Mooch's personality much better.

Man, the NFCE is going to be wicked next year. We'd better have our stuff together.

:2cents:

This is not just directed towards you but to anyone who thinks personality wins games rather then picking the right players for the right position who are able to excute the plays put forth by their coaches.

If your really do some research you will see Fassel is actually the better choice for the skins. I know the mods don't like his face as an avatar on the other hand.

This is not just directed towards you but to anyone who thinks personality wins games rather then picking the right players for the right position who are able to excute the plays put forth by their coaches.

If your really do some research you will see Fassel is actually the better choice for the skins. I know the mods don't like his face as an avatar on the other hand.

I think I made it pretty clear that I think that Fassel is the better "football" guy. I just like Mooch's charismatic personality better! :D

I understand the recent history but prefer no more retreads!!! Gibbs I worked out pretty well for us did it not, one could argue better than Gibbs II?

How about Vince Lombardi; Chuck Knoll; Bill Walsh; Bill Cower; John Madden; Tom Laundry? These guys did ok on their first HC job if not mistaken?

Archived