Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Darrell Green And Art Monk Inducted Into NFL Hall Of Fame

JimmiJo

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

February 2, 2008

DARRELL GREEN AND ART MONK INDUCTED INTO NFL HALL OF FAME

Ashburn, VA – The NFL announced today that former Washington Redskins’ players Darrell Green and Art Monk have been selected into the NFL Hall of Fame.

“This is a great day for the Redskins. Two players who personify class in their professional and personal lives are being celebrated at the highest level for the things so cherished by their fans,” said team Owner Daniel M. Snyder. “I know I speak for every fan when we say this is so richly deserved.”

Green, who was selected in his first year of eligibility, was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the first round (28th overall) of the 1983 NFL Draft. He was a shut down cornerback and a game-breaking punt returner who was an asset to the NFL on the field and in the community. Green overcame odds his whole career at only 5-foot-9 he played for 20 seasons at one of the most competitive positions in the NFL. He finished his career playing in 295 games with 258 starts, 1,321 tackles, 54 interceptions, nine forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries. In addition, he scored 10 touchdowns (seven INTs, one punt return, and two fumble returns).

Green earned seven trips to the Pro Bowl (1984, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991. 1996 and 1997) and he started in three Super Bowls (XVII, XXII, XXVI), while winning two. He was also named NFC Player of the Week five times during his career. Green was named the NFL Man of the Year in 1996 and was awarded with the Bart Starr Humanitarian Award.

“I’m so fortunate to count Darrell, Jewell and the rest of the Green family among my friends,” Snyder added. “I know how much Redskins fans mean to them, and it is such an accurate reflection of what they mean to us.”

The honor for Monk was considered by many to be long overdue, but certainly deserving by all. Monk was a first round draft selection in 1980 (18th overall) by the Redskins and he would go on to play 16 total NFL seasons, including the first 14 with Washington. He finished his career with 940 total receptions for 12.721 yards and 68 touchdowns in 224 career games. He was the first NFL player ever to catch more than 900 passes in his career and he retired as the game’s all-time leader in receptions.

“Art may be the classiest Redskin ever. He never let up on the field, and in his off-field activities he let his work speak loudly for itself,” Snyder said. “His entry into the Hall is long overdue, but that is all behind us now. We’ll be celebrating with him and for him for years to come.”

Monk was the Redskins 1984 MVP when he became the first NFL player to record more than 100 receptions (106) in a season. That was a record that stood for eight years. He also caught at least one pass in 183 consecutive games and he helped lead the Redskins to four Super Bowl appearances with victories in three of those games. Monk was at his best when the team needed a catch to keep a drive alive during his 14-year career with the Redskins. He converted nearly two-thirds (64%) of his 888 career receptions into first downs.

The Redskins are also proud to have Emmitt Thomas selected into the NFL Hall of Fame with Green and Monk. Although recognized for the Hall of Fame as a player, Thomas spent 1986-94 as an assistant coach with the team and coached both players at various points during his time with the organization.

The Redskins organization plans a news conference and reception to celebrate Monk and Green on Tuesday, time to be determined.

Man, I was in two meetings for back to back class projects this afternoon; I didn't get out until 5:30. I had no idea what had happened until I flipped on 980 and they made the announcement. This is fantastic and well deserved. Maybe Grimm can get in there in a few years.

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

February 2, 2008

DARRELL GREEN AND ART MONK INDUCTED

INTO NFL HALL OF FAME

Ashburn, VA – The NFL announced today that former Washington Redskins’ players Darrell Green and Art Monk have been selected into the NFL Hall of Fame.

“This is a great day for the Redskins. Two players who personify class in their professional and personal lives are being celebrated at the highest level for the things so cherished by their fans,” said team Owner Daniel M. Snyder. “I know I speak for every fan when we say this is so richly deserved.”

Green, who was selected in his first year of eligibility, was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the first round (28th overall) of the 1983 NFL Draft. He was a shut down cornerback and a game-breaking punt returner who was an asset to the NFL on the field and in the community. Green overcame odds his whole career at only 5-foot-9 he played for 20 seasons at one of the most competitive positions in the NFL. He finished his career playing in 295 games with 258 starts, 1,321 tackles, 54 interceptions, nine forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries. In addition, he scored 10 touchdowns (seven INTs, one punt return, and two fumble returns).

Green earned seven trips to the Pro Bowl (1984, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991. 1996 and 1997) and he started in three Super Bowls (XVII, XXII, XXVI), while winning two. He was also named NFC Player of the Week five times during his career. Green was named the NFL Man of the Year in 1996 and was awarded with the Bart Starr Humanitarian Award.

“I’m so fortunate to count Darrell, Jewell and the rest of the Green family among my friends,” Snyder added. “I know how much Redskins fans mean to them, and it is such an accurate reflection of what they mean to us.”

The honor for Monk was considered by many to be long overdue, but certainly deserving by all. Monk was a first round draft selection in 1980 (18th overall) by the Redskins and he would go on to play 16 total NFL seasons, including the first 14 with Washington. He finished his career with 940 total receptions for 12.721 yards and 68 touchdowns in 224 career games. He was the first NFL player ever to catch more than 900 passes in his career and he retired as the game’s all-time leader in receptions.

“Art may be the classiest Redskin ever. He never let up on the field, and in his off-field activities he let his work speak loudly for itself,” Snyder said. “His entry into the Hall is long overdue, but that is all behind us now. We’ll be celebrating with him and for him for years to come.”

Monk was the Redskins 1984 MVP when he became the first NFL player to record more than 100 receptions (106) in a season. That was a record that stood for eight years. He also caught at least one pass in 183 consecutive games and he helped lead the Redskins to four Super Bowl appearances with victories in three of those games. Monk was at his best when the team needed a catch to keep a drive alive during his 14-year career with the Redskins. He converted nearly two-thirds (64%) of his 888 career receptions into first downs.

The Redskins are also proud to have Emmitt Thomas selected into the NFL Hall of Fame with Green and Monk. Although recognized for the Hall of Fame as a player, Thomas spent 1986-94 as an assistant coach with the team and coached both players at various points during his time with the organization.

The Redskins organization plans a news conference and reception to celebrate Monk and Green on Tuesday, time to be determined.

I was unhappy until I read your "I'm kidding"!! :) So we have no idea yet, right?
He retired as a Skin so he will be inducted as a Skin. The same for BMitch whenever his day comes.

Ding.:)

Just like Bruce Smith is eligible next year, who retired as a Bill & will go in as a Bill.

I am a lurker and not a poster, but after everything this franchise and fanbase has gone through in the past few months, this is the best possible news. I expected Darrell Green; he had first ballot written all over him. However, the Monk Man came as an unbelievable surprise. Eight years of HOF voters with their heads up their arses has come to an end. Perhaps as part of their respective speeches, they can have Theismann throw a ball to Monk with Green covering him and see who comes up with the ball.

Three cheers for Darrell Green and Art Monk! Next step, Russ Grimm needs to join them.

Archived