Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm just curious, have the '91 Redskins ever been mentioned as one of the great teams

C26 Run

I was just watching Mike and Mike and I miss the list they put up for some of the great teams of the NFL. I've heard Bears, Pukes, and Packers having some of the greatest teams in the NFL. Did anyone see the list? If you did, were the Redskins there? Are we only a storied franchise with DC, MD, and VA? Opinions...:helmet:

Yeah, I have seen them mentioned on ESPN and NFLN a couple of times this week. The highest ranking was number 3 on one of the ESPN shows. So, I have seen love for that team and rightfully so.

I also saw a great segment on Outside the Lines about Doug Williams yesterday. Almost the whole show was dedicated to the Skins and Doug.

They have gotten credit, but not as much as other "great" teams. (85 Bears come to mind). The 91 Redskins had one of the highest score differentials I believe (difference between our score v. the opposing teams score).

I remember one article saying that mainly since Mark Rypien had pretty much peaked that year, that is a reason for their lack of press to be one of the greatest ever.

For any real fan of football though, they know how good that 91 team was and that's what matters.

When ESPN.com did their all time listing, they used a set criteria for example, things like Team win/loss record, Margin of Victory, Avg Margin of points team lost by, Avg Margin of Victory, Avg Points Scored, Avg Points Allowed, Sacks Allowed, Sacks Given, Strength of Schedule etc. etc. etc. After they took all the set criteria in, the Skins 91 Championship team was in the top 5 all-time.

Now I don't know what criteria the NFL network channel used. If my memory serves correct, I think they had the Skins 91 team ranked like 13th all-time. I was like what? That was absurd. They had the 13-3 Cowbum Championship team ahead of the 91 14-2 Skins Championship team. I think that Cowbum team got whooped by the Eagles 31-7. That Skins 91 team didn't get scored on at home until mid season. 3 shut outs in the 1st five games. They dominated. I could debate any Cowbum fan logically and there's no validation to have that team ahead of the Skins 91 team. Check the Skins Strength of schedule that season, it was outstanding and they still dominated.

Fight the media conspiracy - tell what you saw on January 26, 1992.

I'd rather tell you what I saw on January 4th. This was the last time I had the pleasure of watching my beloved team play live. My Mom had given me tickets to RFK for the Divisional game for Christmas presents and there I was with all of the other screaming crazy fans in attendance. The week leading up to the game was filled with nothing but Atlanta love. We had MC Hammer in the house. All of the experts in the media predicted us to lose to the surging Falcons. The atmosphere at RFK on that snowy bitterly cold day was mixed with worry as we had just had a week off from play and slightly stumbled closing out the season, losing 2 out of 5 games.

As we entered the stadium the early arrivers were handed seat cushions to sit on for the game and at halftime the entire crowd began to breathe a collected sigh of relief as we were winning. Then in the 4th quarter, when the game was in hand as we were ahead 24-7, the craziest thing I've ever seen happened. The seat cushions that were giveaways began raining down on RFK stadium. I am proud to say I tossed my cushion on the field that day and the others that didn't quite make it there that landed near me. We stopped play that day on the field and sang Hail to the Redskins with all of our hearts.

In Redskins history this game will forever be known as the seat cushion game. If you go to youtube this you'll see the spectacle that was the 1991 Redskins playoffs. After that emotional outburst the next week our vaunted defense shut down Barry Sanders and we beat the Lions 41-10 as we went on our march that ended with our last Super bowl.

Those playoff tickets are still the best damn Christmas present I've ever been given to this day. Thanks Mom! :notworthy :applause: :applause: :helmet:

Fox sports listed the top 10 SB teams ever and the 91 Skins didn't make the list. Meanwhile they cruised to the Superbowl with wins over Atlanta (24-7) I believe and over Barry Sanders Lions (41-10) I believe... And beat Buffalo 35-24 but it wasn't even that close because Buffalo scored their final TD in garbage time...

That was a very balanced team... Run, Pass, and the defense was underrated in my opinion. They should be one of the best SB teams of all time but some how they're always overlooked... Not trying to sound like a homer, but they would've beaten this New England team trying to remain undefeated...

Our best team was by far the 1983 team. Unfortunately, we didn't win the big one......but man, look at that team! Only 2 losses by one point each.......Green, Riggins, Brown, Grimm, Theisman, Manley, Butz......on and on. If we hadn't lost to the Raiders, we would've gone down in history as one of the best teams in NFL history that year! 1st round in play-offs......skins - 51, Rams - 7! And, the worst part is that we beat the Raiders earlier in that season on a comeback victory.

Our best team was by far the 1983 team. Unfortunately, we didn't win the big one......but man, look at that team! Only 2 losses by one point each.......Green, Riggins, Brown, Grimm, Theisman, Manley, Butz......on and on. If we hadn't lost to the Raiders, we would've gone down in history as one of the best teams in NFL history that year! 1st round in play-offs......skins - 51, Rams - 7! And, the worst part is that we beat the Raiders earlier in that season on a comeback victory.

Gibbs believes the 83 team was his best. However, I will stick with 91 becasue the only reason we lost in week 17 to Philly was that we did not play our starters at the Vet. The team should have been 15-1. Also they didn't go out and get hammered until 4 AM in Minny the way they did in Tampa in January of 1984. 1991 won, the 1983 team choked in a drunken stupor. 1991 by far.

If you compare numbers then the 1991 Redskins team is probably the best ever. #2 at worst. It's pathetic that the media claims that the 1992 Cowboys were better, since they didn't have the point diff, they didn't have the w/l and they lost their games by more, also they had less competition in the division.

One of the rankings I saw from a while ago even said that the 1991 Redskins were probably the best ever, but they just couldn't put them at #1 because of Rypien, lol. WTF is that?

They have gotten credit, but not as much as other "great" teams. (85 Bears come to mind). The 91 Redskins had one of the highest score differentials I believe (difference between our score v. the opposing teams score).

I remember one article saying that mainly since Mark Rypien had pretty much peaked that year, that is a reason for their lack of press to be one of the greatest ever.

For any real fan of football though, they know how good that 91 team was and that's what matters.

I am not so sure the score was our showing how great we were... it was more of showing how bad the AFC was in those years...

Definately the flip of where it is now. I think 3 or 4 AFC teams are better than any of the NFC teams.

Two thing hurt the 1991 team in terms of ranking:

1. It's hard to separate "teams" from "dynasties." The 49ers, Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys teams are all more memorable to people because they did it for so long. Most of those teams kind of melt together in the minds of people. The 1991 Redskins were awesome, but that was a singular team.

2. NFL was weak in 1991. Just a fact. The Giants were way down that year, the Bears of the 80's had finally faded, the Cowboys weren't quite ready yet, and most notably, the 49ers missed the playoffs for only time in what was like a 17 year span. This was also the season for SF where both Montana AND Young were out. The Bills were solid of course in the AFC, but that was about it.

The Redskins trampled through the league that year unchallenged. It's not their fault, but the teams we beat in 1991 weren't very good or memorable. Look at all the teams that played in the NFC Title game from the early 80's to the mid 90's.... the 1991 Lions don't really fit :)

If you are talking about "greatness" being defined by how badly a team dominated that particular season, then the 1991 Redskins need to be near the very top. Very, very easy season. If you are talking about what great team would beat what other great team-- then there's more debate.

The 83 team was frustrating because the defense was very poor at stopping yardage and the deep ball (the pearl harbor crew) but they were the best ever at taking the ball away (+43). I think that 91 team would beat that 83 team every day of the week. They were much more complete. Rip would throw for 600 yards on that 83 Defense.

I think they are forgetable to some just because they were a one-year dominant team. They went from not making the playoffs in 1989 to winning the Super Bowl and dominating the league in 1991 to being an NFL afterthought by 1993.

The Bears were at least consistently competitive from 1984 through 1987 or 1988 even though they only had that one GREAT season. And other GREAT teams tended to string more championships together (1970s Steelers, 1980s 49ers, 1990s Cowboys) and thus are remembered nationally.

Personally, I'd rank them in the top 5 when looking at one year, however I can see why some people forget about them off the top of their heads. The 1991 team usually gets more recognition when someone is actually sitting down and doing research to rank them than when it comes up in radio discussion...to me, that shows that the stats go much further than the perception.

1. It's hard to separate "teams" from "dynasties." The 49ers, Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys teams are all more memorable to people because they did it for so long. Most of those teams kind of melt together in the minds of people. The 1991 Redskins were awesome, but that was a singular team.

2. NFL was weak in 1991. Just a fact. The Giants were way down that year, the Bears of the 80's had finally faded, the Cowboys weren't quite ready yet, and most notably, the 49ers missed the playoffs for only time in what was like a 17 year span. This was also the season for SF where both Montana AND Young were out. The Bills were solid of course in the AFC, but that was about it.

The Redskins trampled through the league that year unchallenged. It's not their fault, but the teams we beat in 1991 weren't very good or memorable. Look at all the teams that played in the NFC Title game from the early 80's to the mid 90's.... the 1991 Lions don't really fit :)

If you are talking about "greatness" being defined by how badly a team dominated that particular season, then the 1991 Redskins need to be near the very top. Very, very easy season. If you are talking about what great team would beat what other great team-- then there's more debate.

Good points...you beat me to it (see two posts below)!!

Buy the following book:

Dominance: The best Seasons of Pro Football's Greatest Teams

The author published the first Stats, Inc. book and used to work for the Orioles and Padres and wrote a similar book for baseball using "Stats Inc" type stats for both baseball and above. He lists the 91 Skins as the second-best team of all time behind only the 85 Bears, and he backs it up. He also said it was very difficult for him to do that given that he is a Baltimore native.

HTTR

Go Monk, Green, and Grimm

As good as Rypien was that year the perception that he was an average QB is what holds that 1991 team back from being ranked a lot higher. Steve Sabol basically said as much when they were doing the Americas game series...he said that team should have been ranked much higher but they just could not bring themselves to rank a team with Rypien at QB ahead of other SB teams with HOF QB's.

For my money the Bills were not even the best AFC team that year, the Oilers were.

That Redskin team usually gets discussion on many boards that bring the topic up. I think the fact that we collapsed into mediocrity just 2 years later and Rypien fell off the face of the earth is why the team is not more highly regarded.

The 83 Redskin team is our best ever IMO, too bad it had to play its worst game that year in the Superbowl. That Raider team was good though, we had real hard time beating them during the season.

I'm sorry when you took in every facet of the game the 91 team was better.

This was discussed earlier:

Thread title: Why is the 91 team so underrated?

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4824489

My post there, references the ESPN rankings back at SB XL (ranking of the 40 Super Bowl teams):

ESPN had them listed as the #10 team in SB history. Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...r/rankings/1-20

ESPN commentary: "If you're a Redskins fan, we know you're angry. And know what? You may be right. There is a case that this isn't just the greatest Redskins team ever, but the greatest of any team. Their point differential (+261) is tied for second-best since the 16-game schedule began. They lost two games by a combined five points, and one of those came in the final game. They dominated the playoffs. They recorded 50 sacks and allowed just nine. They played a tough schedule. But two things prevent a higher ranking: While Washington ran the ball a lot, it wasn't a great running team (just 18th in average yards per carry). And while Mark Rypien didn't have exactly a fluke season, he certainly had a career year. And we're having a little trouble getting past ranking a team with Rypien higher than 10th."

if they wouldnt have played all back ups in the final game of the season against the eagles they would have had only one loss and then nobody would be downplaying them

Yep...that team was literally a pass deflection away from being 19-0!

The only legitimate game they lost was at home against the Cowboys (by 3) and Dallas scored on a Hail Mary at the end of the first half. If someone knocks that pass down, the Redskins win and don't lose in Philly in their last game.

Additionally, Dallas scored on a long Emmitt Smith draw play on 3rd and long...another unconventional score, but not nearly as flukey as the Hail Mary.

<<That 91 team ranks at least top five all time no doubt. I don't get the how long you do it theory when we're talking about single season great teams>>

<<This is totally flase also. The Skins strength of schedule that year was very high. I think the SKins were like 6-2 against playoff teams. The NFC east had the Cowbums 11-5, Eagles 10-6 and Giants didn't make the playoffs but they were 8-8. The Skins also beat the Oilers who were AFC central Champions that year. They beat the Falcons who were 10-6 in the regular season and playoffs. They beat the best Detroit Lion team ever 12-4. Whooped them 45-0 in the regular season then again in the NFC Championship game. And why you mentioned the 49ers I don't know but they were 10-6 that year too. The Skins didn't play them however.>>

<<Once again the Skins strenghth of Schedule that year was one of the best all time. And just because you make it look easy doesn't mean its easy. The Skins whooped some teams that year that were very good. Check the skins schedule and those teams records that year. In fact when the ESPN.com did another all time Super bowl list, the Skins strength of schedule was behind only the 85 bears if my memory serves me correct. Look at some Superbowl teams and their strenghth of schedule and compare them to the 91 Skins.>>

<<When you take into account things like Strength of Schedule, Margin of victory and losses, Sacks Allowed and given, Points scored and allowed, Team Record, Total Yardage gained and allowed, Plus the Skins 91 team had 3 shut outs in their 1st 5 games. Like I said before they didn't get scored on at home until about mid season.>>

Archived