Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King, Darrell Green, and the HOF

Touchdown Redskins

I was reading "Monday Morning Quarterback" from Peter King today, and I got pretty infuriated with something he wrote. On page three of this article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/01/20/championshipweek/index.html?eref=T1) , he states who he thinks are the fifteen best teams of the NFL. Minnesota is fifteen, but this is not what bugs me. What does bug me is that after proclaiming Minnesota his fifteenth best team, he says that Cris Carter and Darrell Green headline a HOF "with no locks." With no locks? Seriously? Darrell Green isn't a lock for first-ballot HOF? I'm not one to care about the media, but considering he's on the panel, will we see him try to convince voters that Darrell Green should wait to get into the HOF?

I was reading "Monday Morning Quarterback" from Peter King today, and I got pretty infuriated with something he wrote. On page three of this article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/01/20/championshipweek/index.html?eref=T1) , he states who he thinks are the fifteen best teams of the NFL. Minnesota is fifteen, but this is not what bugs me. What does bug me is that after proclaiming Minnesota his fifteenth best team, he says that Cris Carter and Darrell Green headline a HOF "with no locks." With no locks? Seriously? Darrell Green isn't a lock for first-ballot HOF? I'm not one to care about the media, but considering he's on the panel, will we see him try to convince voters that Darrell Green should wait to get into the HOF?

Art Monk not in the HOF yet should tell you there are no locks.

Art Monk not in the HOF yet should tell you there are no locks.

Agree

How many rings does Carter have??

I do feel DG will get in but it isn't like the baseball hof to get in the first year in the NFL hof you have to be the elite above the elite. DG was a great player and maybe the greatest redskin but where does he rank among other cb's in the HOF?? That I don't know.

Hey friend, you know I agree with you about D. Green. If he isn't a lock, there are no locks in my opinion. When you think of top corners of all time, who you think about???? Deion Sanders? Then who? Mr. Redskin himself - Darrell Green, that's who.

Peter King is an idiot. Isn't he one of the anti-monk guys anyway?

Not really sure as to what CB of that era (80's-90's) that could overshadow DG. Not only was he one of the top corners in the league for the majority of his 20 year career, but he has the signature plays, he was a part of multiple Superbowl Teams (3 appearances, 2 wins), and was a 7 time Pro Bowler.

The only other CB that I can think of that approached him in recent history was (groan) Primetime.

And if you factor character into it, DG is the man to beat by far.

I do feel DG will get in but it isn't like the baseball hof to get in the first year in the NFL hof you have to be the elite above the elite. DG was a great player and maybe the greatest redskin but where does he rank among other cb's in the HOF?? That I don't know.

Carter has ZERO rings. He never won a single one. Meanwhile, Monk was an important part of 3 SB winners (even if he missed some postseason time due to injuries) and had great playoff performances and great games to get the team to the postseason and records BEFORE the passing era REALLY took off and he played during 2 strike years, also.

As for Green--not sure why you ask this. Green is as much a lock as any CB ever up for the ballot. He had a long and distinguished career, has 'signature' plays that demonstrate his ability ANd in the postseason, was regarded as a shutdown corner and superior tackler compared to the wimp Sanders and even did the little 'media things' like winning fastest man competition every time he entered. Oh, and he won 2 SBs and was part of an NFC Champion and other playoff appearances.

Green SHOULD BE because of his tackling ability and all around teamwork MORE of a lock than Sanders--Sanders who got toasted regularly in his first several years by the Rices and Monks and Clarks.

Not really sure as to what CB of that era (80's-90's) that could overshadow DG. Not only was he one of the top corners in the league for the majority of his 20 year career, but he has the signature plays, he was a part of multiple Superbowl Teams (4 appearances, 3 wins), and was a 7 time Pro Bowler.

The only other CB that I can think of that approached him in recent history was (groan) Primetime.

If you add in the 90s---the ONLY guy who is on par is Rod Woodson. Rod was a GREAT football player and great punt returner also. Eventually, he moved to safety and was very good there for a couple of years.

I'd say only Rod comes close as a performer but there are other aspects of his career where he doesn't come as close.

Deion's media rep exceeded his play and he was only TRULY a shutdown corner of the elite level for about 5 years. He was NOT shutdown in Atlanta as he was routinely annihilated by Jerry Rice and other elite receivers. Add to that the fact he refused to get tackle and had that embarrassing episode in Atlanta where Brent Jones carried him for like 20 yards into the end zone and I think that's a major strike against him.

But the media actually knows and recalls football less than we do, at least about specific guys, especially when reputation gets built over a couple of decades. Now all the same idiots forget that EVERYONE said "future hall of famer" when it came to ARt Monk and when you look at his numbers and factor in his era and the two strike years, he's as good as Largent and was more of a winner and blocker and SHARED the ball with quality receivers.

Personally, I think DG and Cris Carter should be 'lock' first balloters. Carter retired as the 2nd greatest receiver of all-time (statistically speaking). DG is the 2nd best CB I've ever seen play the game.
Using Kings own reasoning, Carter can not get into the HOF until after Monk does. That is why he has changed his tune on Monk. He knows that all the lobbying he did against Monk will apply to Carter.

Here we go again!!!! Peter King is not even worth listening to when it comes to anything that has to do with the HOF. If he hasn't understand why Monk should be in and is trying to stir the pot about Green that ought to tell ya how much of an ass he is and not wanting to vote in a Redskin.

Not really sure as to what CB of that era (80's-90's) that could overshadow DG. Not only was he one of the top corners in the league for the majority of his 20 year career, but he has the signature plays, he was a part of multiple Superbowl Teams (4 appearances, 3 wins), and was a 7 time Pro Bowler.

DG was only in 3 Super Bowls and won 2. he was a rookie when we played the Raiders in the Super Bowl. just a little FYI. :cheers:

Personally, I think DG and Cris Carter should be 'lock' first balloters. Carter retired as the 2nd greatest receiver of all-time (statistically speaking). DG is the 2nd best CB I've ever seen play the game.

DG is a lock and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Hmmm....isn't there another WR on the ballot that retired as the 1st greatest receiver of all time (statistically speaking)??? Carter is not a lock (for first year induction) and should not get in before Monk.

He had a long and distinguished career, has 'signature' plays that demonstrate his ability ANd in the postseason, was regarded as a shutdown corner and superior tackler compared to the wimp Sanders and even did the little 'media things' like winning fastest man competition every time he entered. Oh, and he won 2 SBs and was part of an NFC Champion and other playoff appearances.

I think DG's signature play is the punt return vs the Bears :cheers::cheers:

My point is I think he is in just was curoius what other great cb's during his era are in the HOF thats it.

With Gibbs retiring I think it would be sweet to have Monk, Green, and Grimm all put in the HOF so once and for all he can say see, we did have HOF players :cheers::cheers:

Here we go again!!!! Peter King is not even worth listening to when it comes to anything that has to do with the HOF. If he hasn't understand why Monk should be in and is trying to stir the pot about Green that ought to tell ya how much of an ass he is and not wanting to vote in a Redskin.

I agree Peter King,, PLEASE Green is a lock, especially against his competition ths year.

Non Story, period

Archived