Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King, Darrell Green, and the HOF

Touchdown Redskins

King shouldn't even be on that panel, I would like to know why king has so much say. He can writre about, but i would rather have someone that has that much say go through what these player have gone through. Just because he's a writer doesn't make him an expert on football.

King used to be opposed to Monk in the hall, but has since changed his tune.

I think he is speaking on the idea that he knows how the voters are and that no one is a lock, not on his personal feelings on any players.

King may have changed his tune, but until they show who votes how, I won't believe he has changed his vote.

:helmet: The Rook

King used to be opposed to Monk in the hall, but has since changed his tune.

I think he is speaking on the idea that he knows how the voters are and that no one is a lock, not on his personal feelings on any players.

I don't know. If you look at the context of the quote, he seems to be indicating that this year's HOF candidates are relatively weak, and that no one from this class is a lock to make the HOF.

Peter King really doesn't understand football. I honestly think he's doing this to get under our skin. If Darrell Green doesn't get in as a first-ballot guy, there'll be riots in Canton.

I am not necessarily shocked about Darrell Green. To me it is obvious that he is an automatic for the HOF. He is a player who was one of the fastest to ever play. Not that that is a qualification for the HOF, but he was able to close on the ball and players with lightening quick speed. He also had 41 or 42 INTs. He had a couple returned for TDs. He most certainly had two signature moments in 1987 in which he returned a punt for TD that beat the Bears in Soldier field and then he had a goal line stop against the vikings in NFC championship game sent us to the playoffs. He was a great a player and had longevity, which in this league is a rare thing. He was a pro bowl player 3 times I believe. I think that he is a lock. I am shocked that Cris Carter was labeled not a lock to get in. I wonder if they are doing that to justify the fact that more than likely they are not going to send Art Monk in this year. It sort feels set up that way. They are trying to get Cris Carter in without upsetting people about not letting Art Monk in! It is an absolute disgrace. Sports writers are the worst. They have all this ego because they cover the team and that is supposed to make them somebody. They need to go and get a real job and stop thinking that they are all that high and mighty.

The thing that irks me about Monk not getting in is that every season that goes by, some other WR, like a Carter, or Andre Reed is deemed worthy, when they haven't done anything that Art Monk hasn't eclipsed in his career. Someone says Monk has no signature catch, well then what is Irvin's, Carter's or Reed's signature catch? Monk has better stats then all of them, and Gary Clark has comparable stats to all of them.

When it comes to Monk, the argument changes every time. When one stupid reason is debunked, then another one is thrown out there. It is very lame.

As far as Darrell Green goes, I think he is the best CB of all time. Insiders like to say Deion is, but as far as I can remember, the thing about Deion is he only had about 4-5 seasons of elite play. He was one of those guys that once he lost a step, he was virtually useless as a cornerback. Darrell Green maintained an elite level of play all the way until he retired. Anytime Deion had a bad game later in his career it was always overlooked because he was such a media darling. He would do one big thing and then all of his crap play would be forgotten about. Lets face it, Deion only has rings because he went to two teams that were already headed to the Superbowl in the first place. He just hitched a ride.

According to the NFLHOF site, there are only 2 CB's currently inducted that played in roughly the same time frame as Darrell.

Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989

Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994

Would have to look up other corners during his time in the NFL,(Not trusting everything to memory here), to see how he stacked up against them. Nah. We know that one.

Archived