Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Sports: Carey will be Super Bowl's first black referee

sens11

There's millions of different job types in this country.

The question is, where do we draw the line ?

When every one of those millions of jobs has it's first ?

How about in the ones that hold the most power or are part of our collective participation?

That's why you get a short blurb about the first black referee in a Super Bowl, but don't even slightly remember any stories about the first black referee in a regular season game. The Super Bowl is a national event...and "firsts" that occur within it will garner attention (and rightfully so). A regular season game is just another game, so you don't get the attention or blurbs.

As far as power, if Obama is elected president, get ready for some stories about him being the first black president of the U.S.A....unless of course you don't feel it's worth being acknowledged.

The problem I have is that this kind of stuff is only brought up when African-Americans are involved. Do they ever say that he is the first non African -American NFL player to accomplish something. If a white WR comes tomorrow and breaks a record earlier held by an African-American player, will they say he is the first white person to break this record? I don't think so.

Point being that being first is only brought up when minorities are involved and that negates the accomplishment in itself.

And it's not even ALL minorities.

It's usually just one.

How about in the ones that hold the most power or are part of our collective participation?

That's why you get a short blurb about the first black referee in a Super Bowl, but don't even slightly remember any stories about the first black referee in a regular season game. The Super Bowl is a national event...and "firsts" that occur within it will garner attention (and rightfully so). A regular season game is just another game, so you don't get the attention or blurbs.

As far as power, if Obama is elected president, get ready for some stories about him being the first black president of the U.S.A....unless of course you don't feel it's worth being acknowledged.

OK, to go along with your premise that this should only apply to those positions holding power, even then, to acknowledge it, is to imply that he got there by overcoming impossible odds just because of his skin color.

At this moment in history, blacks have the SAME legal rights in this country, as any other ethnicity, and in some cases, MORE rights.

:laugh: :rolleyes:

No, there are never stories about women who have "firsts"...or latinos who have "firsts"...nah, it's just the blacks.

I'm starting to understand your mindset now...

Women aren't minorities.

And if there are stories about Latinos, they are few and far between

OK, to go along with your premise that this should only apply to those positions holding power, even then, to acknowledge it, is to imply that he got there by overcoming impossible odds just because of his skin color. At this moment in history, blacks have the SAME legal rights in this country, as any other ethnicity, and in some cases, MORE rights.

What? lol :laugh: :doh:...

How about seeing it as an acknowledgment of the racial progressions that this country has taken as a whole...which is what I said in my very first post. Which would mean we are NOT the racially and sexually divided country that we were in our long history, even just 30 years ago.

Again, I see where your mindset is in all this...I get it.

What? lol :laugh: :doh:...

How about seeing it as an acknowledgment of the racial progressions that this country has taken as a whole...which is what I said in my very first post. Which would mean we are NOT the racially and sexually divided country that we were in our long history, even just 30 years ago.

Again, I see where your mindset is in all this...I get it.

The real progression was made when blacks were given equal rights, and that's what should be commended and praised.

All the "firsts" that happen after that, are inevitable and bound to happen, in light of my previous statement.

OK, to go along with your premise that this should only apply to those positions holding power, even then, to acknowledge it, is to imply that he got there by overcoming impossible odds just because of his skin color.

At this moment in history, blacks have the SAME legal rights in this country, as any other ethnicity, and in some cases, MORE rights.

It's just news man. How about when Sony hired a white guy to be their CEO. Should we have e-mailed the Associated Press and asked them why they were writing dumb articles?

And women are often considered minorities. Want an example? At my previous company, we had a list of counterparties that are flagged as "Minority or Women-Owned Businesses". That's how it works in the real world.

The real progression was made when blacks were given equal rights, and that's what should be commended and praised.

All the "firsts" that happen after that, are inevitable and bound to happen, in light of my previous statement.

And should be seen as milestones of progression.

And so that you know, there are more than just one "real" progression for an entire race.

Women are considered a minority...

Not by ANY of the Websters definitions :

mi·nor·i·ty Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mi-nawr-i-tee,

–noun

1. the smaller part or number; a number, part, or amount forming less than half of the whole.

2. a smaller party or group opposed to a majority, as in voting or other action.

3. a group differing, esp. in race, religion, or ethnic background, from the majority of a population: legislation aimed at providing equal rights for minorities.

4. a member of such a group.

5. the state or period of being under the legal age of full responsibility.

–adjective

6. of or pertaining to a minority.

A minority is considered a group of people that is significantly less than others.

How does that apply to women ?

Only in a census...

Within the political and societal aspects of a country (this country), a minority is anyone denied power, rights and freedoms from the government and those in control of the majority of the private sector.

Only in a census...

Within the political and societal aspects of a country (this country), a minority is anyone denied power, rights and freedoms from the government and those in control of the majority of the private sector.

See websters definition above.

And if you keep this up, they're going to send us over to Tailgate, and we'll miss the game :laugh:

It's just news man. How about when Sony hired a white guy to be their CEO. Should we have e-mailed the Associated Press and asked them why they were writing dumb articles?

And women are often considered minorities. Want an example? At my previous company, we had a list of counterparties that are flagged as "Minority or Women-Owned Businesses". That's how it works in the real world.

Exactly...they're ALWAYS coupled together, even if women literally outnumber men. And it's because, regardless of their numbers, they have had an extremely similar histories and experiences in this country when it comes to power, the government and the "ruling class", so to speak.

Pretty much all of the laws that deal with discrimination that came after the civil rights laws treat hiring a woman as hiring a minority.

Anyway, this is turning into a Tailgate thread lol :laugh:...

I'm happy for him.

Not because he's african-american, because he earned it.

BINGO. Carey is one of the best head officials in football. I LOVE it when he's working our games, because I know neither team will get screwed over by a phantom PI or cheap roughing the passer call.

He called our playoff win against TB in Jan of 06, and made an excellent judgment call to eject the late great Sean Taylor for spitting in Pittman's face; Although I certainly screamed at the TV when that happened. :laugh:

I remember Marcus Washington getting in Carey's face about ejecting Taylor and asking why Pittman wasn't flagged for retaliating. Carey said something like, "He spit in his face. What would YOU have done?" Washington just quickly replied "Oh, ok." in agreement.

No offense, but seriously, if you're going to engage in a serious debate, then omit the sarcastic exaggerations, and stick with the facts.

Sir yes sir, I shall write that on the chalkboard 50 times in a row - so I can lose all sense of humor I actually have left.

Take a look around the forum, and in every single thread you'll see a combination of supporters of the premise, and those who disagree.

So you're saying that those who disagree with the thread should just "stay out" ?

It ain't realistic.

It's not about debate threads (which I am surprised this became), it's about the fact that people don't even want to READ a HEADLINE about this. It irks them that they must see such a thing. Much different than a debate towards things which could directly effect you. ie. politics, religion, laws - what have you. This is a blip on the radar and it bothers some people.

As far as minorities, blacks are noted more often than latinos, asians, what have you, because of slavery. It was never latinos and asians sweating it out for America's economy, it was blacks. And they had to fight for all races to be regarded the way they are now - not just themselves. They struggled the most in this country by a million miles. Even to this day, whites hold grudges against them because of what grandpa has said about black people. It has been a multi-century struggle and they're just getting their heads above water. Now we don't want to even HEAR about anything anymore. Are we bitter?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7695316

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - Mike Carey will become the first black referee in Super Bowl history.

Carey, in his 18th year as an official, was notified by the National Football League office this week he had the assignment for the Feb. 3 game in Glendale, Ariz. The NFL will not officially announce the assignments until the week of the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl officials are chosen on merit, with the highest ranked at each position getting the assignment. Carey, who runs a skiing accessories company, has been among the NFL's top crew chiefs for a decade and has been a Super Bowl alternate, but has never been the referee.

Black officials have been increasing in number over the years. This season there were 26 on the 17 crews, a single-season high. They also have been well-represented in the Super Bowl at other officiating spots. Among them was Burl Toler, a former player who worked several early games.

Don't care what color he is, nor if he's a chick or an alien-Carrey SUCKS. Just about every game I've seen him call, his officiating team blows chunks.

Carey deserved this, despite of his color. He always calls a fair game for both sides and I rather have him or Hockulie(Sp) to do the Super Bowl. Great job Carey :applause:

I completely agree. One of the best refs in football. Plus, I like that he always explains the play and the rule when there is any controversy or an instant replay.

Archived