Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King: In terms of "sheer devotion" Washington is "up there."

superjuan

I think people mistake myopia for passion.

Dallas fans are myopic and suffer from myopia. They basically always think their team is headed to the superbowl regardless of their play on the field. They are always the best and even when they suck, they are the first to remind you of "5 rings lolhahaha we are zebest"

That isn't passion, it's myopia.

I'd say the top 3 fanbases in the NFL that are passionate about their team are Green Bay, Washington and Pittsburgh. Denver too.

I've gotta give the Cleveland fans credit, that team has been awful for so long yet still, there they are, rooting for them as much as ever. I was up there one Sunday a few years ago on a game day just sight seeing and I rounded a corner and came up on thousands of fans all barking in unison as they walked to the stadium. It was quiet a sight. Needless to say you don't see that kind of thing in Charlotte for Panthers games...lol

I'd lump Greenbay, Washington, Pittsburgh and Cleveland all together. I will say that it seems like Greenbay and Pittsburgh have the two best traveling fan bases. Those fools fill up stadiums no matter where they are.

pmo33,

Please don't misquote me and try not to stray from what I said. I said all the other teams pretty much suck.

First, Columbus is not Cleveland, so bringing up Ohio State is misleading at best. (I noticed you didn't seem to mention the Columbus Blue Jackets) Second, I said "other teams" so that doesn't include the Browns (I'm well aware that they had numerous NFL championships prior to the Super Bowl era). So now let me address the teams I was talking about:

Cavs- Eastern Conference Champions- NBA finals- best player in the league on team.

Cavs Championships: 0 in 37 years of existence. They had some good times in the late 80s and 90s, but in that time they never made it to the NBA Finals. They made the East Finals just once and almost every other appearance was a first round loss. Yes, they made the NBA finals last year but how exactly does getting swept in their first ever NBA finals appearance make up for their history of losing.

Indians- 1 win away from a World Series appearance

Indians Championships = 2 in 106 years of existence. Last one in 1948. They've made all of 3 World Series appearance since then. In the last 50 years they've had 19 winning seasons. Now sure, 10 of those have been recent (since 1994), but once again how that offset 31 losing season especially when you don't even have a single World Series trophy since the turn of the last century.

Although no championships came from those teams I would argue that they are certainly one of the top cities in terms of sports teams.

Not including the Browns, Cleveland has 2 championships in approximately 143 years of professional sports. Even if you include the Browns (whose last championship was 44 years ago), it makes it 10 championships in 206 years. Trust me, there is a reason why Cleveland (along with Buffalo) tend to be the first cities mentioned when speaking of long suffering sports cities.

The Browns are a surprise to non-browns fans because it seems like its a realitively new team, just being revived.

The fact is the city was enraged to see the team go, and when they got it back rejoiced. They are rabid fans that stick by despite HORRIBLE teams for a number of years since returning and some very bad choices. I don't know if they're above or below us, but the devotion of that fan base doesn't surprise me to see it listed.

I sit next to a casual puke fan at work and he tells me that when he went there for xmas to visit family, his mother picked up him, his wife, and their children (the mothers grandchildren, I stress this because it's important) and talked about how excited she was to see her grandchildren for weeks leading up to the visit. Well, my co worker and his family arrived on Sunday, about 1 hour before kickoff. His mother rushed them home and sat down with her husband to watch the Dallas game, and completely ignore her son, his wife, and her own grandchildren.

This goes to show that there actually are SOME true fans in Dallas.

Also, I thought it was funny.

Archived