Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assessment of Redskins Free Agents listed on Redskins.com

jsmith2003

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Ethan Albright, LS

Albright completed his seventh season in Washington. Solid and steady, Albright played in 16 regular season games for the 12th consecutive season. Quality long snappers are not always easy to come by, so re-signing the 36-year-old Albright could be a priority.I hope we resign Ethan, never hear about any problems here, and that is a positive, only time you hear about the LS position really is when there is a problem. Ethan has been really good for us, and REALLY hope we can resign him.

Ryan Boschetti

Boschetti completed his fourth season as a Redskin, but he saw action in one game last year. Few players are as energetic and gung-ho at practice as Boschetti, but he was not able to crack the lineup. No thanks! in 4 years he has done practically nothing, other than rob a roster spot.

Reche Caldwell

Down the stretch, Caldwell emerged as a reliable target for Todd Collins, particularly on third downs. Signed two days after the regular season started, Caldwell learned the offense and was a contributor, finishing with 15 receptions for 141 yards. I hope we can resign, proved he can catch the ball if thrown to him, even in tough situations, and we need depth @ WR given Moss's continued inconsistency of STAYING healthy

Rock Cartwright, RB

Cartwright has handled kickoff return duties for the last two seasons and remains a key contributor on coverage duties. He had a 25.8-yard kickoff return average last season and was second in special teams tackles with 36. Cartwright may not be the speediest of returners, but he is quick to identify and charge through holes. Fan favorite, if he's willing to sign for a bargain price, then we need to keep him, he's effective at what he does, has gained us some serious yards, and while not a home-run threat, he provides good solid field position on EVERY carry. Also could be a VERY valuable backup, should we decide to trade Ladell Betts before his roster bonus is due, and look for youth in backup role there. Sign him!

Mark Brunell, QB

After three seasons as a starter, Brunell took a back seat last year, serving as a backup to Jason Campbell and Todd Collins. The 37-year-old QB did not see any game action last year and he could be considering retirement. NO THANKS!!

Todd Collins, QB

It was a whirlwind month of December for Collins, who took over for an injured Jason Campbell and led the Redskins on a four-game winning streak. He completed 67-of-105 passes for 888 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions to close out the regular season. Was it enough to earn a starting job in free agency, even at age 36? He could return to the Redskins if there's promise of a training camp competition. If he's willing to come in as a backup again, with bargain price, sign him, ESPECIALLY if AL stays, if not, NO THANKS! If so, we need his experience!

Rick DeMulling, OL

DeMulling originally signed with the Redskins in Week 3 after Randy Thomas went down with his triceps injury. He saw limited action during the regular season. Wasn't able to beat out Fabini for RG position, even though he is a RG, NO THANKS

Jason Fabini, OL

Fabini joined the Redskins last offseason and was expected to be a key backup. Instead, he was an invaluable starter at right guard when Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen went down with injuries. Fabini played in all 16 games and helped the Redskins to the 12th-ranked rushing offense. While not stellar, valuable backup at right price, MUST keep him or Demulling, I choose Fabini (can play RT as well)

Derrick Frost, P

Frost's NFL career has been marked by bouts of inconsistency, but in 2007 he turned in his best season. He had a 41-yard punting average last season, good enough for 18th best in the league last year. His 36.4-yard net average was 21st in the league. SIGN HIM, he's probably better than alternative, and should continue to improve, may need to bring in some competition JUST to spark him up some

Randall Godfrey, LB

Godfrey, a 12-year veteran signed in training camp, was a backup most of the season, but he stepped up as a starter for Marcus Washington and Rocky McIntosh when they were sidelined with injuries. Godfrey logged 32 tackles and two forced fumbles as a reserve. He was mulling retirement last offseason, and could consider that an option again. If he doesn't retire, SIGN HIM, need good solid depth @ LB and he is that

Brian Kozlowski, TE

For the second year in a row, Kozlowski was signed midseason by the Redskins. He served mostly on special teams, seeing occasional action at tight end. Last year, he grabbed one pass for five yards. He is 37 years old. While I have nothing against BK, he's just not stellar, we need someone good enough to challenge Yoder for backup

David Macklin, CB

Macklin was signed as a nickel cornerback last offseason, but it appeared he was passed on the depth chart by Leigh Torrence. Macklin, an 8-year veteran, was inactive most of the season, seeing action in two games and recording five tackles. Wasn't able to beat out Leigh Torrence for some reason, I'll pass, while he is a veteran, only keep him if Springs goes!

Keenan McCardell, WR

McCardell joined the Redskins on Oct. 1 to provide 16 years of veteran experience to the wide receivers corps. He ended up playing in 10 games and catching 22 passes for 256 yards and one touchdown. At age 37, McCardell could consider retirement, but he still has skills to continue playing. IF willing to stay KEEP him!!

Pierson Prioleau, S

Prioleau has been an invaluable reserve for the Redskins and has experience playing both safety spots as well as special teams. He had 38 tackles on defense and 16 special teams tackles. SOLID backup at both Safety positions and could stand in if needed, SIGN HIM UP!!

Mike Pucillo, OL

Pucillo entered the 2007 season as a backup interior offensive lineman. Part of his job was taken over by versatile Lorenzo Alexander, who saw an increased role due to injuries. Pucillo ended the 2007 season on IR with a back injury. If healthy he provides good back up @ guard and @ center, so sign him!!

Omar Stoutmire, S

Stoutmire, an 11-year veteran, had two stints with the Redskins last season, including late in the year. He saw limited action as a reserve. Think we can go younger, but if we keep 5 safeties, would like to keep him as 5th (Landry/Doughty/Prioleau/Fox/Stoutmire) in that order

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

Nehemiah Broughton, FB

It was a disappointing 2007 for Broughton, who suffered a knee ligament injury during off-season work last year and was placed on IR. The 5-11, 255-pound fullback has had limited NFL experience, so he will have to prove he's healthy this offseason and earn a roster spot. Constant injuries - NO THANKS!

Shaun Suisham, K

Suisham was solid in his first full season as an NFL kicker. He kicked two game-winners, both in overtime. But in the Redskins' Wild Card playoff game at Seattle, he missed a critical 30-yarder. For the season, Suisham was 29-of-35 on field goals. While he has goofed couple times, he's better than we've had over past couple years, so bring in competition, but if he's bargain, then SIGN HIM UP!!

My 2 cents - thanks and HAIL!!

Ethan Albright - Keep him, he's steady

Ryan Boschetti - Keep him, let him compete for a spot in camp

Reche Caldwell - Keep him, he played well down the stretch

Rock Cartwright - Keep Him, special teams demon, the kind of player we need around

Mark Brunell - Dump him, find a cheaper younger 3rd QB

Todd Collins - Would be nice to keep, but we shouldn't overpay for him

Rick DeMulling - Dump him, time to get younger on the OL

Jason Fabini - Keep him, good depth at tackle and guard, starting experience

Derrick Frost - Keep him, but bring in some camp competition to push him

Randall Godfrey - Keep him, veteran depth at LB

Brian Kozlowski - Dump him, need to find younger depth at TE/HB

David Macklin - Keep him, let him try to earn a spot in camp

Keenan McCardell - will probably retire, need to get younger at WR

Pierson Prioleau - Keep, solid depth at safety, good special teamer

Mike Pucillo - Keep, good depth at Center and Guard

Omar Stoutmire - Keep, good depth at safety, good special teamer

Nehemiah Broughton - Keep, let him try and earn a spot in camp

Shaun Suisham - Keep, had a great regular season, let him develop into a long term solution at kicker

Rick DeMulling, OL

DeMulling originally signed with the Redskins in Week 3 after Randy Thomas went down with his triceps injury. He saw limited action during the regular season. Wasn't able to beat out Fabini for RG position, even though he is a RG, NO THANKS

He only played in 5 games this year. I think he is gone.

I agree with your assessment of:

Ethan Albright, Reche Caldwell ,Rock Cartwright, Todd Collins, Jason Fabini, Derrick Frost, Shaun Suisham

I like the way the following players played this season, but it is time to get younger:

Randall Godfrey, Brian Kozlowski, Keenan McCardell

The following are garbage and have no place on next years team:

David Macklin

Pierson Prioleau I think everyone used this guy as an excuse for why we sucked two years ago...but let's face it, he sucks. Dude couldn't cover me and I run a 5.2 - 40.

Mike Pucillo

Omar Stoutmire

Nehemiah Broughton

I think Nemo gets to be camp fodder one more time since he can't go anywhere else. Boschetti too, the coaches must have seen something in him to keep him around so long without any real playing time. Supposedly he can play anywhere on the line.

Stoutmire should go on the call-back list for camp and then mid-season replacement duty again.

Pierson Prioleau, S

not good in man on man situations he was beatin for three touchdowns this year while not playing much. I would dump him.

I have no problem with the OPs logic for most of the players in that list. Some I'm on the fence about, but Prioleau does appear to be a liability. Since I don't coach him or watch him in practice, I'll defer to the FOs judgement. But at first glance, when I see him on the field I'm looking for the ball to come somewhere in his direction.

I agree with pretty much all of the assessments of the poster.. except for Frost. I feel like he is the Anti-Rock Cartwright when it comes to field position. Inconsistent, rarely punts us out of trouble when we are backed up, can NOT coffin corner kick and rarely has his short punts downed inside 10. I'd really like to see us get a more capable punter.

Ethan Albright, LS

Keep him. No reason to let this guy go.

Ryan Boschetti

Let him go..No way this guy makes the cut.

Reche Caldwell

Keep him! I think this guy has alot to offer as a WR still. Age not much of a factor, yet. Plus he could be a good mentor for an up and coming late round draft choice as well.

Rock Cartwright, RB

If we let this guy go we might as well flush this organization down the toilet. A true Redskin and team leader.

Mark Brunell, QB

Let him go..I say no more.

Todd Collins, QB

Keep him if possible. May be more difficult than people around here think. Many teams would love to have this guy as a starter, even at his age. SMART QBs are not easy to come by.

Rick DeMulling, OL

Let him go..Not good.

Jason Fabini, OL

Let him go..Old and not good.

Derrick Frost, P

Keep him unless another option becomes available.

Randall Godfrey, LB

Keep him! However, he will probably walk away on his own though.

Brian Kozlowski, TE

Let him go..Say what?

David Macklin, CB

Let him go..Who? :silly:

Keenan McCardell, WR

Let him go..Too old. Draft a young WR in the later rounds. One with SIZE( 6'3"+)!!!

Pierson Prioleau, S

Let him go..Liability. Those who said it was his loss to injury that made the defense so bad in 06' were WAY off.

Mike Pucillo, OL

Keep this guy if he comes away healty. Not old. Decent for depth.

Omar Stoutmire, S

Let him go..Again...WHO. :silly:

Nehemiah Broughton, FB

Let him go...waste of space.

Shaun Suisham, K

Keep him. Too much was made of the missed 30 yard FG. Should he have made it. Sure. But the Offense should have scored 6 too and we aren't going to cut the whole offense, are we? :whoknows:

DRAFT::

1st - DE

2nd - DE

3rd - WR

5th- OL or QB or CB

6th - OL or QB or CB

7th - OL or QB or CB

FA SIGNINGS:

With luck a bigtime CB (Samuel, Trufant, or the CB from Oakland) and a few other small names if need be to fill some holes/ add depth to the DL and OL.

Odds and EndS: Release/trade Springs and maybe even Daniels, and get players like Portis to restrucure their contracts to create some space on the cap.

*Edit*: Almost forgot..CUT Lloyd! He's hard to forget. :laugh: :laugh:

Re: RFA vs. ERFA

» Restricted free agents are able to get offers from other teams, while exclusives aren't. This is because of more service time

Re: Punter

» Frost sucks. I've had to watch him for much longer than u dudes (check out the Location to the left) and he has always been like he was in '06. He wasn't even good in 2007 based on what I saw of him... stats overrated in his case. AND the guy from LSU is a stud. If he's a senior (I have no idea) he should go pretty high in the draft,especially after what Sepulveda did his rookie year.

Not a Fabini fan myself. He turned a few people loose way too many times. Just blatantly didnt block anyone. I think we can get a decent rookie guard later in the draft that will serve as well as he has.

Pierson is supposed to be our "cover" safety. He gets faked out by just about everything. Can't remember the last time he made a play besides last year when he got injured on the kickoff of the opener. Not a great tackler and not that durable either.

Godfrey, I think he has one more year in him. We need him, especially if Rocky isn't 100% healthy just yet. He's a vet that can teach our younger guys a thing or two.

Collins, If Saunder stays, keep him. If he doesn't, let him go.

Broughton, didn't even realize this guy was on the roster, let him go.

Caldwell, yes please. He can be valuable as a route runner and not a big ego guy.

Suisham, keep him around, bring in some no name kickers to compete during pre season and camp.

Thats my take anyways.

It amazes me how some people want to keep frost, but not Suisham. Keep the guy whos been a dud and get rid of the guy whos been our best kicker this millenium. Real smart.

Id have to say its time for Frost to go. Lets draft someone and bring in some real competition. This was his BEST season at he STILL couldnt crack the top half of the NFL in any meaningful category. The OP stats were wrong, Frost 41 per punt average was 28th in the NFL, not 18th.

The man has quietly stunk up the joint. Its time to draft a guy and improve our field position.

Archived