Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Major Winter Storm now likely for us Sunday Night Monday! Stay tuned

Ji

Rule of thumb:

NEVER PREDICT SNOWSTORMS IN THE EAST DURING LA NINA YEARS!:)

Why not?

Last time we had a La Nina like this, we had a pretty good winter ('99-'00)

El Ninos are the snow killers where we get .01 inches of snow for the whole winter and 60 degree weather straight through....

you have pretty good knowledge. are you a met student?

Never took a met class.

Learned everything I know on my own. I'm actually going storm chasing in the plains this Spring with a group from Virginia Tech and other area colleges. Should be great.

Why not?

El Ninos are the snow killers where we get .01 inches of snow for the whole winter and 60 degree weather straight through....

That is in your area.

In my area it's about the opposite.

Below average snowfall in every La Nina year except for one.

Why not?

actually our best years are weak la ninas and weak el nino

95-96 weak la nina

02-03 weak el nino

those 2 winters are my superbowl of weather

99-00 was very similar to this year. Warm Dec..warm early jan..then it rocked for about 2 weeks including the famous jan 25,2000 blizzard. A week later, there was another 6-8 inch storm on Super Bowl sunday and then winter ended.

I have family that lives in Lowndes County, MS and in Caledonia. My uncle's home was destroyed by the tornado that put the school bus on top of the school. Two cousins also had major damage to their homes. My uncle's farm supplies and equipment are missing - literally blown away.

Keep these people in MS and AL in your prayers.

you have pretty good knowledge. are you a met student? Anyway...we could get clipped with light snow on Monday but this isnt the monster the gfs and the euro were showing yesterday anymore. Its frustrating. I just want one storm where i can actually start to predict accumulations.

So your thread title is incorrect, right? We can take the word Major out, right? And the work Likely out too, right? Thanks

So your thread title is incorrect, right? We can take the word Major out, right? And the work Likely out too, right? Thanks

uh no....the models have been flipping every run so its hard to get a good handle on the storm. Remember, we just came out of an extreme warm pattern and the modeling is having a terrible time.. The models tonight are starting to trend back to their solution from yesterday so we are still in the mix for a major winter storm for sunday night/monday.

as a matter of fact, based on the new model run that i just saw...we may have to put a winter storm watch for sunday night if i was worked for the nws

Seems that the just released 0Z NAM looks very good for us...

Truth to this?

dramatic shift....yes. Went from nothing to a major snowstorm in one run. Comma head snows over us..maybe thunder.........

if it verified. I need to see a few more runs before i make a forecast. this flip floppy stuff is driving me crazy

dramatic shift....yes. Went from nothing to a major snowstorm in one run. Comma head snows over us..maybe thunder.........

if it verified. I need to see a few more runs before i make a forecast. this flip floppy stuff is driving me crazy

Well it seems also that the 11:05 GFS is a big model update also.

the 00z nam looked too good last night..too good to be true. It really didnt have any support from other models. The problem is that the storm is still going to phase too late. This could be major storm for NJ to New England but we will just get brushed by it unless somehow the phasing occured sooner and the storm started bombing at hatterras. I will make a forecast soon but for our area, i think its going to be a close miss. Like usual.

Archived