Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Seahawks Prolific Passing Game

skins fan1010

I keep hearing and reading that the Seahawks have a great passing game.

Did you know?

The Seahawks' three division opponents were ranked 21, 22, and 28 against the pass? That's a sum of 71 (out of a maximum 93).

Only Green Bay had an easier division to pass against: 27, 31, and 32 for a sum of 90 (out of a maximum 93)!!!! It's no coincidence that Favre had a 95.7 passer rating this year, but when he faced Philly, Washington, and Dallas he had a passer rating of 58.2, 43.5, and 8.4, respectively.

In comparison, the Skins faced division foes with pass Ds ranked 11, 13 and 18 for a 42 total.

The Seahawks' division foes had an overall D ranking that totaled 67 (again, out of 93), while the Skins' division foes had overall D rankings that totaled 26.

Six games against this kind of competition--almost 40% of a team's games--can make some team's stats look great.

In addition to division foes, here is a sample of some of the other teams the Seahawks faced with overall D ranking in parentheses: Cincinnati (27), New Orleans (26), Cleveland (30), and Chicago (28).

Exactly half of the Seahawks games were against teams ranked in the bottom 25-percent in total D (i.e. defenses ranked 25 through 32), which gave the Seahawks the schedule with the largest number of games against easy defenses this year. Even the Packers only played four such games.

The Seahawks only played four games against top-10 defenses and averaged 18.75 points per game in those. That’s a little different from the 24.6 PPG I keep reading about. Oh, and the Skins have the eighth-ranked defense in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4416

Looks to me like Pittsburgh was the only team that really shut down Seattle's passing game. And you could argue Atlanta, but they still put up 41 points.

Hasselbeck's a damn good QB whether we want to admit it or not. You don't put up nearly 4,000 yards through the air with 28 TDs and 12 INTs without being pretty good.

using stats, we should win this game. But games arent played on paper /cliche

I am still very worried, but if we get passed their air attack, we should be able to win

Half of their games were against the league's worst defenses. I think the Skins will get past their passing game.

Half of their games were against the league's worst defenses. I think the Skins will get past their passing game.

Statistically the Vikings, Giants and Cowboys all should have beaten us. That did not happen.

Games are played for a reason, the "better" team statistically does not always win.

Yup. I'm taking them as seriously as they are taking us and I am reflecting my concerns in my posting. I pick us to win, with no homerism, but in no way do I dismiss or discount that team like so many here do. They usually field a damn good product talent/coach-wise, but one of their main problems is that they have the same capacity to underperform (Holmgren's main frustration) when actually playing the damn game that we have shown too often in the past.

We should win this despite their homefield advantage, but proposing they have earned their notable success the last five years simply by way of a "weak division" is lazy and under-informed analysis IMO.

And I am thinking of Petersen getting to Collins. I hope our blockers are all healthy. Their D is quick and their crowd is distracting and we need TC at his best.

The thing is, we had these same arguments in 2005. It's ONE game, not a season. Sure, put Seattle in the NFC East and maybe they don't make the playoffs, but with that homefield advantage, maybe they do.

It's silly to get into these arguments because every time it happens, the team we downgrade ends up beating us.

Didn't we almost lose to the Jets and the Cardinals?

I agree with Shawn Springs who said that Hasselbeck would be the toughest quarterback the Skins' D will face in the playoffs, ahead of Romo sits to pee and Favre. He's carrying the Seahawks on his back right now.

Because he plays for a small market team and the media has been focused on Hollywood Romo sits to pee and Comeback Favre, Hasselbeck's great year has been overshadowed. But he's a hardcore competitor who performs very well under pressure, thinks on his feet and can turn busted plays into big gains. When he's on the guy is scary good.

One could also argue that BECAUSE the Seahawks passed for so many yards vs their division opponents, their division opponents hence had poor defensive rankings...

ie...

Hasselbeck puts up 330 yards vs Arizona, it stands to reason that Arizona is now ranked lower...

Take New England for example...it stands to reason that the Jets, Bills and Dolphins had very poor statisitcal performances against the Pats and they each had to play them twice.

Stats can be misleading...

Over and over again, the Redskins played the Cowboys during that nightmare streak they had against us a few years ago. Tons of times the stats showed the Redskins dominating the Cowboys. Finally the streak would end, it seemed. But they came in to bloody us over and over again.

I love stats. But the sad truth is, they don't mean squat. History has proven it.

Im am worried about the passing attack...But the way our defense has been playing as of late and with the seahawks being so 1 dimensional i think we will be fine.

We stop the run first and foremost hte way we have and must defend the pass when we know they will pass.

Those stats are worthless and, especially this time of year, have no value. Hasselbeck is a premier QB in this league. We need to pressure the hell out of him and force him to make decisions our secondary can capitalize on. Nothing but our A game will get us back to Dal-ass.

Why is it that some of us bring the 05 game. Do you guys honestly believe Seattle is as good as that 05 team? To you actually believe that our 05 team, that very much was on its last leg going into that game because of all the injuries is the same team as today?

Come on people if you remember the 05 team by the 4th quarter was playing without any healthy OLinemen. We had Brunell as QB and the guy could hardly walk (remember all the treads afterwords on why didn't we play Ramsey because of they way Brunell was?). Right now we have a better pass rush, a healthy Portis (he was even banged up in the 05 game), two corners that are playing better, and a QB that is infinetly more effective than Brunell. And if you remember that 05 game we were a TD away from tieing the game or a INT away (thanks Carlos) from going 10-0 up on them.

No this game is not going to be easy but then again no playoff game is.

Hasselbeck is great, but if you get in his face he tries to act all big and bad, though he just ends up making a mistake.

That said, their receivers are vastly overrated. We should worry about Hasselbeck's ability to throw it, but not really their receivers abilities to do anything after they catch it.

I think this game comes down more to our O than our D.

I'm not too concerned about the stats, but it is intriguing. Matt H is one heck of a QB, but I just don't think he'll be as good against our defense. GW doesn't let the opposing teams superstars shine on us. We shut down some pretty good pro-bowl players, and I think Matt H will fall into that category.

Why is it that some of us bring the 05 game. Do you guys honestly believe Seattle is as good as that 05 team? To you actually believe that our 05 team, that very much was on its last leg going into that game because of all the injuries is the same team as today?

They're not as good as they were in 2005, and we are better than we were in 2005. Is it enough to close the gap? I think so, but we'll have to wait until Saturday to see.

Only two more days! I'm psyched!

Archived