Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the Prospect You Are Going To Pimp?

method man

Not being a big college football guy, I use the offseason to read up on all the prospects. I don't watch enough games to make an educated guess at who will be in the top 100 so its defitely something to do once the season is over...

I'm just glad I'm not reading about it all right now!!! LOL

Limas Sweed.... We shouldnt have to look any farther for our big WR and what a tandem he and Moss will make! Over 6'4" and good speed... Reminds people at UT of Roy Williams. Just hope he's still available

Sweed is a great WR but depending on his combine he could even be available in the 2nd (he had a wrist injury that kept him out for most of the season this year). If he has a great combine we should take a look at him. He doesn't have great top end speed (but many WRs who didn't and were overlooked because of it have become stars in the NFL...see Boldin, Anquan) but he has a good burst, great hands, and great body control during jump balls. Adarius Bowman is another possible option but he had a knee injury and that is worse for a WR than a wrist injury IMO.

I'd also be very interested in Malcolm Kelly from Oklahoma if he declares. He is about 6'4 220 lbs, has great hands, is very fast for his size, runs very good routes and is tough. My other 1st round desire is Vernon Gholston but I'm thinking he may be gone when we pick. The guy is just a freakin animal. He has enough size and the strength to be an every down DE (6'4 264) and has a nonstop motor. I remember watching the OSU/Michigan game and seeing him own Jake Long on at least a couple of plays. I'm not that high on the other potential 1st round DEs. I've heard Derrick Harvey mentioned but to be honest I've watched him play and he doesn't impress me all that much. Calais Campbell is quite a physical specimen but has had a very mediocre year so I'm a bit iffy on him too.

I also agree about Owen Schmitt! That guy is an absolute warrior and has good quickness and moves for his size. He blocks like a freaking tank and just runs over people when he has the ball. He really does remind me of Sellers after watching him play. He is also an extremely committed team player. Plus he has a mohawk. How can you go wrong with all that? I also read that he can squat 650 lbs and do a 525 lb power clean :yikes:. He could also be one of the biggest steals in the draft since he is projected to go in the 4th or so. Sellers part 2? I'll take it.

In a perfect world....

Derrick Harvey DE - FLA Rd. 1, Adrian Arrington - WR Michigan Rd. 2, Trevor Laws - DE Notre Dame Rd. 3

Why a second DE in the 3rd round? We have some good depth at DE that we wouldn't need to use 2 picks on DEs. I think we should use our 1st on a DE, second on a big WR (like you said) but use our third on an offensive lineman, preferably a guard.

Owen Schmitt, Fullback for the West Virginia University Mountaineers. :D

Seriously, although he plays a position that is not an urgent need, this guy would be a great pickup. A 6'3'' 260 pound fullback that can be utilized in run blocking as well as a rushing threat. (see Fiesta Bowl TD run among other performances) A hometown boy from Fairfax Virginia, says John Riggins is his favorite football player. Also broke 10 facemasks during play.

He is also a great character guy. Basically a folk hero in West Virginia. I can only imagine him on the field along with Chris Cooley and Mike Sellers. Absolutely terrifying.

got to say that all the wvu people talking about him in the past got chalked up to homers. but i watched the wvu game last night and saw his run. and that was just amazing. for a big guy to be able to outrun a secondary. thats crazy.

i sure wouldnt mind having him for the future replacement for sellers. as long as we didnt have to spend a first day pick on him.

Calais Campbell, because while the guy is a bit slim for his weight at 6-8, he has enormous potential and is a guy that I think Greg Blache could turn into a star. If he put on some muscle under an NFL training program, he would make an excellent complement to Carter for years to come.

If we don't go after a tall WR like Bryant Johnson in FA, I'd be all for drafting a guy like Limas Sweed or Adrian Arrington in the second round if they're available.

Derrick Harvey is too small, we would get abused with him and Carter.

Ive got Campbell or James Hardy in the first. Both are physical freaks who have been accused of being lazy (a la Montgomery). We get them to play to their potential we get studs

DeSean Jackson from Cal. He is by far the best WR in college ball.
DeSean Jackson - 65 catches, 762 yards, 6 touchdowns

Michael Crabtree - 134 catches, 1962 yards, 22 touchdowns.

Your boy might be the best in Calli, but you're smoking chronic laced with Columbian Bam Bam if you think he holds a candle to Crabtree.

If I could pick anyone, I'd love to have Crabtree, but since he's a Freshman (a freakin' FRESHMAN!!!), I don't think he's eligible. But don't worry, barring a broken leg, he'll be the CJ of next year, so as for this year, I'll take Gholston.

For those that haven't seen it, here's

(likely a Top 5 pick this year), and Mike Hart (a back known for his ability to block).

We get him in the late first and maybe Shmidtt in the 2nd, that'd be just dandy!!

Derrick Harvey is too small, we would get abused with him and Carter.

Ive got Campbell or James Hardy in the first. Both are physical freaks who have been accused of being lazy (a la Montgomery). We get them to play to their potential we get studs

Problem with that is that our lazy guy was a late round pick. If he continued to be lazy and didn't produce we cut him and no huge loss. You're talking about potentially lazy guys with our very first choice in the draft. If they continue to be lazy and don't produce you've got yourself a relatively expensive bench ornament.

I don't necessarily think Harvey is too small (I think he is 6-4 262 and could probably add a little weight to get to around 170), I just think he isn't all that good. I've watched him play and wasn't very impressed. Gholston is about the same size (6-4 264 and could also add a bit to be around 170) but I think he is far superior in terms of ability. If we can grab him, do it. I think he is one of the few 1st round DEs that will have an immediate impact wherever he goes.

Personally I've been keeping my eyes on Owen Schmitt (one of my co-workers is a huge WVU homer, but did put me the bug in my ear about him), the dude is a beast. I didn't see his game last night, but what I have seen of him has impressed me. He looks like a freight truck similar to Sellers. I would love to have him, he's a good rushing and blocking FB. So I want to see us grab him up in the draft.

I would also like to see us grab a WR with good size like Limes Sweed or a top notch DE. In the later rounds I would like to see us grab up a project CB, and some OL depth.

DeSean Jackson - 65 catches, 762 yards, 6 touchdowns

Michael Crabtree - 134 catches, 1962 yards, 22 touchdowns.

Crabtree is a redshirt freshman so if he has another great year he will likely come out for the 2009 NFL draft.

I wanted to see how he performed against some good talent in the bowl game, and this is how he produced: 9 catches, 101 yards, 1 TD ON A GIMPY ANKLE!

The guy plays in the Big 12, so he sees top end talent almost every game, and a lot of that talent is in the secondaries (consider the Big 12 has put out Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin just this past year). This guy is going to be extremely good in the NFL, but we likely won't be able to get him.

I know the scouts already know about him, I'm sure, but someone really needs to get in the Skins FO's ear about actually DRAFTING Schmitt.

Because no one takes fullbacks in the 1st or 2nd rounds (this isn't like 1990 with Jarrod Bunch or whatever lol) you can be assured he will not be drafted until later. I don't know if he'd even be taken in the 3rd round.

But seriously, they need to get this guy. Some players just make sense and fit.

Owen Schmitt, Fullback for the West Virginia University Mountaineers. :D

Good one. I think that all fullbacks should have a mohawk. Seems like a white Mike Sellers.

I'll talk about a guy who might be projected as a mid round pick...

WR Steve Johnson from Kentucky.

He's 6'4" 200 lbs.

61 catches for 1,053 yards and 13 TDs

Will probably be a 3rd or 4th rounder and would give us good height and size that we need at the WR position.

1st Round - Calais Campbell - DE - The U

2nd Round - Frank Okam - DT - Texas

Our DL would be rediculous.

As I said before I'm a bit iffy on Campbell. He obviously has the size and is athletic enough but he had a very mediocre season and there are reports of him having something of a lazy attitude. I'd rather not take a chance with that with a 1st round pick.

As far as Okam, I think he will be long gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. He is generally projected as a low 1st or high 2nd pick. Besides...DT is a place where we are actually pretty solid right now.

Archived