Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oh no! This is almost too good to be true! (Giants, Pats related)

KiwiSupaFlyNuka

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3171718

Tee-Hee

Injuries force Pats to play without starters Neal, Kaczur

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: December 28, 2007, 9:35 PM ET

The New England Patriots will attempt to complete the NFL's first 16-0 regular season on Saturday minus the starting right side of their offensive line.

Guard Stephen Neal (shoulder) and tackle Nick Kaczur (foot) were downgraded by team officials to "out" for the prime-time matchup against the New York Giants.

The absences of the two offensive linemen are significant because the Giants lead the NFL in sacks, with 52, and New York players maintained this week that a key to slowing the top-ranked New England offense will be mounting a pass rush on Patriots' quarterback Tom Brady.

Seven-year veteran Russ Hochstein, who has filled in for Neal in the past, will start at right guard. Saturday will mark the eighth game Neal has missed this year. The likely starter at right tackle is second-year veteran Ryan O'Callaghan, who has not started at all this season, but who did start six games at right tackle in 2006.

O'Callaghan could play a key role on Saturday, since he will be matched against Giants left defensive end Michael Strahan, one of the leading sackers of all-time. A 15-year veteran, Strahan has 141½ career sacks, including nine quarterback takedowns this season. Since he sometimes moves inside to tackle in obvious passing situations, it is possible that Strahan will be matched against Hochstein on some occasions.

This is the first game that Kaczur will have missed this season.

Brady has been sacked only 20 times in 15 games.

In addition to Kaczur and Neal, the Pats also ruled out tight end Kyle Brady (foot), cornerback Willie Andrews (elbow) and running back Kyle Eckel (stomach). With tight end Benjamin Watson also ailing, New England may have to play shorthanded at the position for a second straight week.

Losing Andrews will impact the Patriots' special teams, since he is on every kicking unit. The Patriots signed cornerback Antwain Spann from their practice squad and he could see action on special teams.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer with ESPN.com.

I'm starting to think the Patriots WILL get beaten in the playoffs/Superbowl.

They probably will beat the G-Men, b/c Coughlin will (if he's smart) sit alot of the starters after a series or two max.

But, they don't look like the Pats that destroyed us or beat the snot out of Dallas in the 2nd half anymore.

The latest indications are that Coughlin will sit no one.

The Giants are going all out for this one.

Huge mistake......sorry, but it's true.

Unless the Giants beat the Pats, it won't be worth it and you guys will have NE hangover vs. the Bucs.

Trust me, we did for an entire half vs. the Jets the next week after we played NE.

I really hope Brady gets destroyed by the Giants pass rush and cries to coach Belicheat to put Cassel in. Better yet, I hope he breaks his leg.

Romo sits to pee--on ES, we have always frowned on wishing injuries to players. Below was your first warning, issued the other day.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4644007&postcount=9

Since then you've made this post, and another "break a leg" post. One more, and you will receive time-off enough to heal from consecutive fractures. :)

Romo sits to pee--on ES, we have always frowned on wishing injuries to players. Below was your first warning, issued the other day.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4644007&postcount=9

Since then you've made this post, and another "break a leg" post. One more, and you will receive time-off enough to heel from consecutive fractures. :)

Ouch.

No pun intended. ;)

Am I the only one who thinks this game is being hyped up way too much? Both teams already have their playoff spots secured, and if the Pats win here but lose in the playoffs then this game has no historic meaning. I mean the way the media is talking about this game you would think its the Super Bowl. :rolleyes:

Which still won't be enough. Unless the two replacement O-Linemen are dreadful...

Nope, still won't be enough. Especially if Goober has to win the game for you guys.

It will be interesting to see what happens there. every one keeps talking about how great the Pats are and i'm not saying they aren't, definately the best team in the league. But luck has a lot to do with their record. Having your intire offensive line start every game to this point is very fortunate. The OL is where it all starts and now we'll see how good they can do with back ups. Like the Redskins have been doing all year.

Archived