Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did you become a Redskins fan?

Peytskins47

I grew up in Hawaii and went to a few Pro Bowls when I was really young. I didn't quite understand the game, I just knew the big names I got a signature from when they showed up at the local mall. When I was in 3rd grade my Dad got stationed at Andrews Air Force base. We moved to Bowie and did the whole D.C. sightseeing thing one day. I already knew who Art Monk was...I decided to go with the home team when I finally had one!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday when I opened up my Clinton Portis jersey from my mom for Christmas, my mother-in-law asked 'how did you become a Redskins fan?' My answer was 'my dad was a fan way back in the Sonny, Billy and Sam days so I became a fan'. I am not the smartest person in the world but I do have a good memory. I can remember being 5 and watching the Dolphins-Skins Super Bowl. The next year when they played Oakland I just expected them to win. I cried, my dad was probably pretty close to tears as well. After the last Super Bowl win against the Bills my dad passed away 4 months later. My dad was an NC State Allum, so when State won the Gator Bowl a few years back over Notre Dame I felt like my dad was there and would have been proud. I would like to have that same feeling with the Redskins going on a Super Bowl run this year.

P.S. My dad thought Joe Gibbs walked on water I think overall he would think he is doing a good job now.

I became hooked in 1972......then we went to the SB against Miami and lost 14-7 and I became a hardcore fan then, some 34 years ago.

Well, I wasn't born in a trailer park, so I couldn't have been a Dallas fan.

I'm not a fat, greasy slob, who doesn't know when to shut up due to lack of Lombardi trophies so I couldn't have been an Eagles fan.

I'm not a whiney fan, either...so I couldn't have been a Giants fan.

Guess that made the Redskins the default winner. :)

Born and raised a Redskin fan. Dad had tickets since the 1940s in Griffith stadium (before I was born). Some of my best memories are when Dad and I would go to church in downtown DC... down at 16th and H street NW.. and he would not make me go to the "kids" service on game days and we would sit in the back pew in church so when the service was over, we would be the first ones out and we would drive to the game. This was before the "art of tailgating. We'd park on the grass as close to the exit as possible on Benning road so after the game we would just scoot out; and we'd be home before the post game interviews on the radio would be over. AND we would not leave our seats before the clock was down to 00:00. I learned the art of manipulating the parking lot from my dad ;) :logo::dallasuck

I just started a thread about how I'm going to my first redskins game as a redskins fan... Long story short, I used to be a Cowboys fan, but took a sabbatical from football, and when I came back, I realized who my real team was.

I think it was Joe Gibbs return that marked my future...

Great question my friend. My family has had season tickets for decades before i was born. I've been to games since i could walk. The SuperBowl in the early 90's was too early for me too appreciate so i will say that this is the biggest game in my lifetime for the skins. Beating the cowboys to get into the playoffs would be a wonderful christmas gift.

I was born in Fredricksburg, VA. Most of my family are Skins fans, I remember when I was younger and my grandfather owned a painting company in Northern VA, he had the contract for Joe Gibbs' house, one day I remember going to Ace Hardware with my grandfather and seeing him and Coach Gibbs chatting out front. I have been a Skins fan as long as I can remember!!

Archived