Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did you become a Redskins fan?

Peytskins47

Yesterday when I opened up my Clinton Portis jersey from my mom for Christmas, my mother-in-law asked 'how did you become a Redskins fan?' My answer was 'my dad was a fan way back in the Sonny, Billy and Sam days so I became a fan'. I am not the smartest person in the world but I do have a good memory. I can remember being 5 and watching the Dolphins-Skins Super Bowl. The next year when they played Oakland I just expected them to win. I cried, my dad was probably pretty close to tears as well. After the last Super Bowl win against the Bills my dad passed away 4 months later. My dad was an NC State Allum, so when State won the Gator Bowl a few years back over Notre Dame I felt like my dad was there and would have been proud. I would like to have that same feeling with the Redskins going on a Super Bowl run this year.

P.S. My dad thought Joe Gibbs walked on water I think overall he would think he is doing a good job now.

Grew up in Arlington, VA and some of my first memories were of my parents cheering on the Skins as they dominated the competition through the 80's into the early 90's.Its no coincidence that domination stopped when Gibbs left and it would be a mistake for him to leave again until he wins another SB.

Writing a term paper in high school. Didn't care too much about fottball till I was about 14. Then I had an English project to analyze something. So I chose a Redskins-Eagles game (1987 opener). I write the synopsis, and I decided this is pretty fun. So I did the next week for fun then fell in love with the sport and the team and suddenly we're winning Super Bowl XXII and the rest is history

It just happened as soon as I started liking football. My dad is a Redskins fan and used to always argue with his brother in law a Giants fan during the late 80s early 90s but he never pushed me towards it. I guess it does help that I was born in DC about 3 miles away from RFK in the early Redskins glory days and have always lived in the area.

Sorry if I don't have a great story with drama, intrigue, and plot twists about how a Redskin saved my Christmas by giving me a toy I always wanted or something like that when I was a toddler or something.

My family is a Redskin family when I was a little boy my mother told me to root for the Redskins and root for anybody playing the Cowboys. I still remember my grandfather taking me to games at RFK. My grandfather died a few years back, matter of fact I was at a game in his seats when I found out. My happiest memories of him are going to the games with him and thats probably why I'm so die hard now.

Born in DC, raised in Maryland.....

I actually had to live in Detroit for about 3 years as a child....worst years of my life! Then of course there was bootcamp, which I was unable to watch a single Redskins game during the 01-02 season.

At any rate....I've loved my Redskins since the day I could say the word.

Archived