Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did you become a Redskins fan?

Peytskins47

Born and raised in Dallas Texas, I know sorry. But my Aunt is a huge Redskins fan and she got me all sorts of Redskins stuff when I was a kid, in fact my favorite comforter until I was like 10 years old was a Redskins one, and it just stuck, now here I am in DC and a Redskins fan. Couldn't have been a more perfect situation. Even stayed loyal through the Dallas dynasty era in the 90's when it was really rough to be a Skins fan in Texas.

:dallasuck

My father was a 'skins fan and season ticket holder since the 60's. Born in 1962, I grew up with Sonny, Billy, Larry Brown, etc. I was a big Sonny fan, and rooted for him in the Sonny/Billy battles. My 1st jersey's were Jerry Smith and Chris Hanburger jersey's. My dad would take me to a game or two each year, usually bundling me up like I was going to die of frostbite or something. What a great time growing up!

March 2 1984 I was born in Norfolk Va,Redskin fan for life.

Dad made sure his kids were gonna follow the best football team ever,He did a great job getting us ready for our season ticket lifestyles we have now, We got great memorabilia as kids to see,Dad knew the equipment dude for a few years. Had hogs on the tube seemed like my whole childhood running up the gut and play action to Gary Clark,Darrell Green left a big impact to me on sportsmanship and always giving it your all.

Now I am so glad I was born into it,much easier than having to pick.

Lets go Skins,Beat Dallas

Sam

I grew up near Herndon in Northern Virginia. My grandparents owned a farm in Fairfax (yes, a farm in Fairfax!). My uncle also owned a farm in Fairfax (the land which is now Fair Oaks Mall). The only thing at Tyson's Corner was a fruit stand. There was no Reston, no Dulles Airport.

I remember listing to the Skins play on the radio on my grandparent's front porch, my grandfather and uncle cheering the Skins on. I remember the trade of Snead for Jurgenson.

I've gone to two training camps, Lombardi in Carlisle and Gibbs II in Ashburn. I lived in Miami for 10 years (I'm retired and back in Skin's territory again) and remember cheering the Skins on against the Dolphins in the Orange Bowl.

In other words, I've been a fan for a long, long time and will always be a fan.

I was born in Austin, TX into a family full of Cowgirls fans. We moved from Texas to Northern Virginia when I was in the 3rd grade. I never really watched football before moving and this happened to be the same year Doug Williams won the Super Bowl. I've been a loyal fan ever since.

I have since moved back to Texas but still watch ever Redskin game!

PS My mom has a picture of me when I was about 5 yrs old w/ cowboys jersey on! I always just laugh and shake my head....

Everyone in my family, with the exception of my grandma, are Cowboys fans. My Grandma is a Redskins fan. Anyway, the Superbowl against the Bills is when I really started paying attention to the skins. And seeing my grandma jump up and down like that and all the Cowboys fans get real quiet was pretty cool. So because of my grandma and always not liking the Cowboys is why.

:dallasuck

I have been a Redskins fan for as long as I can remember. But my first memories are watching Super Bowl XVII, I was 6 years old and watching Riggins run made me a fan. Seeing I live in New Jersey I was never at a Redskins game until I was in college. It was a long time coming but wroth the wait. My uncle got me a jersey when I was a kid and every since then I have had at least one that I could wear on Sundays. The only problem is that I rarely get to watch them because the damn Giants and Jets are always on TV up here.

My dad grew up in Southern California and the Rams su...well they weren't very good. Then George Allen came along and turned them around in a season. When he left to coach the Skins my dad followed. I was born in '82 so when I was a kid Gibbs was around and they ruled. I grew up in the Bay Area so I always had to hear it from Raiders and 49ers fans but all I would say is at least my team has class and fans that actually go to the games to watch football!

I moved here in 1981 during the first Joe Gibbs era. I was born and raised in northern California, so was always a 49ers fan, but once I saw the Skins I was hooked! I have been a diehard fan ever since. The thrill of my life was getting to meet Joe Gibbs.

Honestly, I became a Skins fan the minute Al Saunders was hired. I was really pissed that he didn't get the HC job here in KC. I knew when he left our team would turn to crap and I was right.

I know there are still some nonbelievers out there but if he stays around you guys will have a dominant offense and right now you are starting to finally see the fruits of the labor.

I remember hanging out with the other sperm, and they were all Redskins fans, and they were all talking about how cool it would be to see them if we ever hatched into humans. I was the most determined of all and I beat everyone else to the egg. So, that is how. :cool:

My parents. Well actually, my Dad, who is from Virginia. He married my mom, who was oblivious to the game of football. That is until he got stationed overseas (yeah I am a military brat) He asked my mom if she could just watch a team call the Redskins, and let him know the outcome of their games. She actually ended up becoming a die-hard Skins fan AND football fan in the process. She knows players and coaches names, stats, what team they used to play for, the whole nine. So I got it from both of them... hence my username ;)

My grandpa gave me a Dave Butz pic/autograph when I was around 9 or 10 years old. I started collecting football cards shortly after that and I loved Monk, Rypien, Sanders, Earnest Byner, Green, and so on and so forth. I followed the Skins for much of my childhood and also liked the Packers b/c of a childhood friend. I got into basketball at age 13 and followed Magic, Larry, and Jordan up until my early 20's or so. I followed the Skins every year until then, but I couldn't stand what Snyder was doing with this team in the mid-nineties through the early 2000's. It was embarrassing to be a Skins fan. I was still a Redskins fan, but I jumped on the Favre bandwagon. I love that guy and what he stands for. He's one hell of a role model and player. I kept following b-ball for the most part and got bored with the Skins and Snyder and football in general. My girlfriend's [at the time] dad was fighting for his life with cancer around then, so football wasn't something I cared much about. I stopped watching/following sports for a while.

After my girl and I broke up, I met my future wife while I was watching a preseason Skins game at a local sports bar. See, proof that I'm always hoping for the best despite our poor post Gibbs I history :D. She asked me about Shane Matthews and I was hooked. I couldn't believe that she knew the backups name as well as most of the players. We hit it off and she loved [still does love] football and more importantly the Skins. I got right back in the saddle and we became season ticket holders when Gibbs returned in '04. I've always been a fan since I was a kid, but I've been a diehard since I met my wife. Since then it's been a roller-coaster ride and losing Sean was just awful but I'm still going strong and have been going strong since the wife and I met. I'm not going anywhere for a while. I won't know it when I jump off of the Redskins bandwagon anyway 'cuz I'll be in a grave when it happens :laugh: Hail Forever Baby!

HTTR

Moved to VA from overseas and when I figured out how football worked, and who the home team was it was natural. I think this was around '98 so there was also quiet a bit of hype over the Skins at the time. No complaints about being a fan... even though I say differently hundreds of times.

Archived