Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony Mix earning his way in ST,(Mixed and merged).

PlayAction

If we can get Mix involved in the Offense, I think we can cut ties with Thrash. Anyone else thinking that way?

I don't think Thrash will be at risk. Thrash fills many positions for the team including: gunner on special teams, backup punt returner, backup H back, and 3rd WR. If the Skins continue to carry a lot of WRs then Mix will probably take Farris' roster spot. Or, McCardell's spot if the Skins don't want to sign him to another one year contract. I don't know what the Skins brain trust thinks of Reche Caldwell.

Mix showed me something yesterday. According to the Giants board one of the reasons why they wouldn't keep him on the active roster was his absence from teams.

With his size and decent athleticism he may well be on his way to being the next Thrash. If he can develop into a decent blocker he may have a chance to earn playing time next year.

YUP

That's HUGE right there. Hopefully its a sign of things to come...

Two very nice special teams tackles last night. Considering the number of WRs on the team it looks like he's got a chance to stay with the team long term if he continues to shine in ST. I hope the kid has good hands so that the QBs finally have a large target at WR.

I had not noticed this. Thanks for pointing it out

Hopefully the G-men pulled another Ryan Grant. Mix has been solid on special teams, has history with Campbell (played together at Auburn), and has the size that our core has been lacking.

This is no Casey Bramlet. He is young and has talent. What the coaches do with that talent and what Mix does with the opportunity remains to be seen. But a promising start.

That's entirely incorrect. Mix was dropped for another WR. Then he sat on the Giants practice squad until the 'Skins picked him up.

That's technically correct, but doesn't tell the whole story. Mix played in Burress' spot, and obviously wasn't getting any playing time but they kept him on the active roster because they liked him. Since the Giants have sucked huge on kickoff/punt returns this season, they picked up (technically) another WR but really just a returner. Since if you sign someone off another team's practice squad they have to go on the active roster, and since Mix wasn't getting any playing time behind Burress, they had to waive Mix and then re-sign him to the practice squad.

At which point we promptly snatched him up.

That's technically correct, but doesn't tell the whole story. Mix played in Burress' spot, and obviously wasn't getting any playing time but they kept him on the active roster because they liked him. Since the Giants have sucked huge on kickoff/punt returns this season, they picked up (technically) another WR but really just a returner. Since if you sign someone off another team's practice squad they have to go on the active roster, and since Mix wasn't getting any playing time behind Burress, they had to waive Mix and then re-sign him to the practice squad.

At which point we promptly snatched him up.

And I think it says something about Anthony Mix, a guy who "wasn't getting any playing time behind Burress" even when Burress was limping on the field in Week 2. The same Burress that hasn't practiced since training camp.

And I think it says something about Anthony Mix, a guy who "wasn't getting any playing time behind Burress" even when Burress was limping on the field in Week 2. The same Burress that hasn't practiced since training camp.

:whoknows: I don't think thats all that uncommon. Burress is a pretty damn good receiver. His experience and presence on the field, even when banged up, counts for a lot. It's the same reason we have Moss playing injured all the time. It's not that McCardell and Caldwell are bad receivers, just Moss' presence and experience lets you do different things.

I know if I were a Giants fan, I'd want a banged up Plax on the field over any other healthy receiver on their roster. Burress being really good doesn't make Mix bad.

:whoknows: I don't think thats all that uncommon. Burress is a pretty damn good receiver. His experience and presence on the field, even when banged up, counts for a lot. It's the same reason we have Moss playing injured all the time. It's not that McCardell and Caldwell are bad receivers, just Moss' presence and experience lets you do different things.

I know if I were a Giants fan, I'd want a banged up Plax on the field over any other healthy receiver on their roster. Burress being really good doesn't make Mix bad.

But when he's not helping his team do anything cuz he can't get open, why not go with a guy who's healthy and can get open?

A lot of Giant fans are now saying the Giants should rest Burress because he's not helping the Giants much because he's so banged up. Can't get open, can't stretch the field, can't be a downfield threat and opposing defenses know it.

While I agree that he brings a presense to the field, when the opposing defense knows he's basically a non-factor if you put a guy on him, your offense will struggle.

If we can get Mix involved in the Offense, I think we can cut ties with Thrash. Anyone else thinking that way?

No way, Thrash is a very versatile and valuable player. If Mix gets involved with the offense (which I hope he does) there are other ways to make room for him i.e. dumping Lloyd in one way or another (which will likely happen anyway).

But when he's not helping his team do anything cuz he can't get open, why not go with a guy who's healthy and can get open?

A lot of Giant fans are now saying the Giants should rest Burress because he's not helping the Giants much because he's so banged up. Can't get open, can't stretch the field, can't be a downfield threat and opposing defenses know it.

While I agree that he brings a presense to the field, when the opposing defense knows he's basically a non-factor if you put a guy on him, your offense will struggle.

I'm not to worried. There was a time the steelers faithful called Plax Plaxiglass because balls bounced off him. You don't always become great overnight. Maybe Mix just needs more time to develop and Burress even when injured was still a more viable option.

Archived