Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hurricanes Phillips to go pro

Spanky731

LINK

Kenny Phillips will forgo his senior season and turn pro. It's still very early and it has been established that there are many other pressing areas of need that we must address this offseason, but if this guy is there when we pick, it'd be hard to say no. 6'2" ball hawk with a meanstreak.

I did not enjoy watching the bears game tonight. I felt as though i was watching another team, not sure why this was but I have a feelling its ST. I think it will be a while before im able to enjoy the skins again, and adding a stud like phillips to our pourish secondary would make it a lot easier on all of us.

While it looks like this guy could be a stud in the secondary, our D-Line is really lacking pressure without blitzing...Carter is doing alright but other than that, we don't have a lot. We need to get young offensive lineman and cornerback is looking like a need if Rogers injury really got the best of him and if Springs doesn't come back. It would be cool to have this guy though. We need a ball hawk. I am tired of our secondary never getting any interceptions.

Keep ignoring the defensive or offensive lines and we will continue to be an also ran like we've been for nearly two decades now.

It DEPENDS on who is available. Everyone said this before the last draft and I think the consensus is we made the right choice. The alternative Jamaal Anderson is not doing well and the DT we did not need with Griffin/Golston/Montgomery.

We clearly need a safety, but if the best safety is not as good as the best DL when we draft then we get the DL.

If the best S is better than the best DL, we get the Safety... :2cents:

WHY THE HELL DO WE NEED TO SPEND ANOTHER FIRST ROUND PICK ON A SAFETY???? Do you guys realize how ridiculous spending 3 1st round picks in hte past 5 years on safeties is?

Considering the fact that ST is no longer with us, picking a safety in the first round this year would be exactly like it was when we picked Landry. The team/coaches/player personel can't be held responsible for the fact that we lost our best player on defense. It's basically like we never picked a safety in 2004(?) since we no longer have him.

Now, I will say that I agree that we should probably focus on the offensive/defensive lines. However, if Philips represents the best value at the pick the Skins select next year, I wouldn't have a problem with taking Philips.

Next time we draft a saftey I want this kid, and i am sure he would love to follow his cousin's footsteps and wear the burgundy and gold... (He wears Sean's Miami #26

1289475.jpeg

At Florida State: Battling for playing time at the free safety position...a talented player who has a very bright career ahead of him as a Seminole...plays well at the safety position and hits like a linebacker...a solid tackler who hands out punishing hits from his safety position...is athletic enough to cover in man situations and tough enough not get caught in mismatches versus tight ends and backs.

2006: A redshirt season.

High School: Graduated from Gulliver Prep in 2006...a four-star player by Rivals.com and the 10th-ranked safety in the nation...rated as the No. 2 safety in the state of Florida by Rivals.com...a four-star player by Scout.com and the No. 11 safety in the country...earned all-state first team honors for Class 2A in 2005 as voted on by the Florida Sports Writers Association...voted the No. 1 recruit in the Miami-Dade area by the Miami Herald...joined Gulliver teammate and fellow Florida State player Evan Bellamy when he was named All-Dade County first team by the Miami Herald...named the No. 10 overall recruit in the state of Florida by the Miami Herald in their state Top 25...finished his senior season with 64 tackles and four interceptions on defense while scoring four touchdowns on offense from the wide receiver position ...chose Florida State over Miami, Florida, Minnesota and Georgia.

Personal: Born Oct. 22, 1987...is the cousin of former Miami Hurricane and current Washington Redskin Sean Taylor...enrolled in undergraduate studies.

http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/leon_anthony00.html

285999.jpg

(He ever wore Sean's High School jersey #)

FS-Anthony Leon (Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep) Leon, the cousin of Washington Redskins’ Sean Taylor, runs and hits like his relative. The Scout.com No. 9 safety in the country is solid to Florida State and he won’t be taking anymore visits.

http://floridastate.scout.com/2/488527.html

Anthony Leon

S | 6'4" 215

Hometown: Miami, FL

School: Gulliver Prep School

Region: South

Evaluation: Leon is a special athlete who has a great frame and the skills to be a real force at the safety position. He is cousins with the Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor, and you can see similarities between the two when watching Leon play. It is never easy to find defensive backs built like Leon who also can run well and hit. He has the frame to add good bulk and if he does could be even more dangerous. He plays like a linebacker who is twelve yards off the ball. He is quick to come up in run support, and at times is like a heat seeking missile. He reads the play and quickly gets down hill, he is not afraid to mix it up between the tackles. He can find and exploit seams to make plays in the backfield. He covers ground quickly and can make plays off tackle and on the perimeter. He is a solid tackler that can deliver punishing hits at times. He is a ball hawk in the secondary in passing situations. He can cover ground and breaks on the ball well and can cover sideline to sideline. He has good hands and can make a play when he gets an opportunity. He presents a presence for receivers going over the middle. He is athletic enough to cover in man situations and will not get caught in mismatches versus tight ends and backs. He has good speed, is a fluid runner, and shows a burst to the ball. Watching Leon you get the feeling this is a player who is just scratching the surface of his ability. He has a great upside and the tools to be as good and dangerous as his cousin.

Notes: cousin of former Miami Hurricane and current Redskins safety Sean Taylor

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=33981

Go here and click on the HIGHLIGHT VIDEOS

http://iowapreps.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=1&pr_key=44026

It DEPENDS on who is available. Everyone said this before the last draft and I think the consensus is we made the right choice. The alternative Jamaal Anderson is not doing well and the DT we did not need with Griffin/Golston/Montgomery.

We clearly need a safety, but if the best safety is not as good as the best DL when we draft then we get the DL.

If the best S is better than the best DL, we get the Safety... :2cents:

I couldn't disagree with you more on using a first round pick for another safety. Having an excess of riches at safety didn't really help the Defense. Even with ST gone we still have devoted a high first round pick to safety. Considering the other needs it would be really foolish to try to recreate the Defense of this year. I don't believe that Griffin/Golston/Montgomery scare any team. Golston was a starter last year only because of injuries. He makes a nice backup. Montgomery has progressed nicely. But Griffin is very old for a DT. The Skins infrequently get any push up the middle. If they collapsed the pocket the DEs would get more sacks. I'm praying for a DT like Sapp to fall to the Skins.

The other major area of immediate concern is CB. The problem with Springs is his contract and his injury problem. Rogers might take a couple years to get back to form. What to do?

Offensive Line - we can argue about whether there is an immediate need for a new starter. But with the age and the injuries I think the Skins desperately need to invest a higher draft pick in new talent. Dockery was a third round pick. Skins could look for a Guard with sufficient talent that the line play wouldn't drop off so much if there were injuries. Then in one to two years we would be set with a new starter. If it was up to me the Skins would be using a pick in rounds 1-4 every year for the OL and DL. There will be a huge turnover in the lines over the next three years.

Considering the fact that ST is no longer with us, picking a safety in the first round this year would be exactly like it was when we picked Landry. The team/coaches/player personel can't be held responsible for the fact that we lost our best player on defense. It's basically like we never picked a safety in 2004(?) since we no longer have him.

Now, I will say that I agree that we should probably focus on the offensive/defensive lines. However, if Philips represents the best value at the pick the Skins select next year, I wouldn't have a problem with taking Philips.

exactly, it depends on who is available. Who is the best player available between DL and DB... that is who we take...

I couldn't disagree with you more on using a first round pick for another safety. Having an excess of riches at safety didn't really help the Defense. Even with ST gone we still have devoted a high first round pick to safety. Considering the other needs it would be really foolish to try to recreate the Defense of this year. I don't believe that Griffin/Golston/Montgomery scare any team. Golston was a starter last year only because of injuries. He makes a nice backup. Montgomery has progressed nicely. But Griffin is very old for a DT. The Skins infrequently get any push up the middle. If they collapsed the pocket the DEs would get more sacks. I'm praying for a DT like Sapp to fall to the Skins.

The other major area of immediate concern is CB. The problem with Springs is his contract and his injury problem. Rogers might take a couple years to get back to form. What to do?

Offensive Line - we can argue about whether there is an immediate need for a new starter. But with the age and the injuries I think the Skins desperately need to invest a higher draft pick in new talent. Dockery was a third round pick. Skins could look for a Guard with sufficient talent that the line play wouldn't drop off so much if there were injuries. Then in one to two years we would be set with a new starter. If it was up to me the Skins would be using a pick in rounds 1-4 every year for the OL and DL. There will be a huge turnover in the lines over the next three years.

I don;t see how we can draft a DL if there aren't any good ones over a sure pick at Safety. I'm not saying that is the case, but if we had to pick between Jamaal Anderson and Laron Landry again, I'd go with Landry. The best player is who we get.

Excess of riches at safety? Reed Doughty and Laron Landry??? We lost 4 games in a row and would have won three of those if Sean Taylor had been playing, actually all 4 if he didn;t get hurt.

We have one decent safety right now and the rest are garbage.

If the best player we can get is a DL then I'm all for it, but drafting an average DL instead of an impact DB is a mistake. Rogers may never be the same, Smoot is not great, Springs is old and injured, and the rest are #5 corners. Landry has no one next to him.

We can get an OL in the second-fourth rounds. Maybe two of them. My point is it really depends on who is there for us.

Another safety? Are we the lions of East? Unless there is a ST available, you simply do not draft a safety this high. It is like drafting OG in the top 5.

We won;t pick top 5... why is getting a safety a mistake. We have drafted two of them and both turned out GREAT...

Lions of the East? Our safeties are actually great. One passed, so we only have one...

It depends on who is available. If you had to choose between Jamaal Anderson, Okoye, and Landry again, who would you pick? Landry? me, too.

If it is between Reed Doughty and Julius Peppers, we take Peppers...

IT all depends on who is there. We can try to target a position, but it doesn't do any good when the guy is simply not good.

Archived