Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have 2007 Redskins Taken The Last Punch?

bulldog

The Redskins started the season with major injuries on the OL and they continued to hit other areas of the team, as the close games went by week in and week out. But after the Sean Taylor tragedy I think a fair question can be asked:

Has this Redskins team in 2007 finally taken the last punch in the fight?

The Redskins are 3-7 in their last 10 games. Solid performances against the Eagles in Week 2 and Lions in Week 5 are long in the rear view mirror.

The team has been clinging to the hope that close losses in recent weeks to Dallas and the Eagles shows they are still in fight.

But are they really still in the fight or is the proverbial towel about to get thrown in the ring?

Looking up I don't see a lot of wins left on the schedule.

The Vikings have come up the past two weeks and at 6-6 look a lot more difficult on the road than they appeared to be 2-3 weeks ago.

Dallas is 11-1 and is 100% healthy at the moment. The bend but don't break defense (which without Taylor is likely to be emphasized even more) doesn't seem like a tonic against Tony Romo sits to pee or even Eli Manning.

The Bears are a poor offensive team. They showed that last night against the Giants. But they do force turnovers on defense, which is the big bugaboo of the 2007 Redskins after the injuries.

I think we are looking at a club that at best finishes 7-9. And to do that the Redskins are going to have to play some darn good solid football down the stretch.

Otherwise, the meter may stay stuck on 5.

If we lose Thursday thus eliminated from the playoffs being stuck on 5 isn't that bad for 09 (draft postioning in the back of my mind for look on the bright side purposes) though I'd prefer that win number 6 would be a beat down of Dallas at Fed Ex. a no huddle, fire at will, step on the neck and twist left then right performance til the gun sounds

I would like to say we still have a chance at the playoffs but everyweek it seems like we have a chance to win and then give it away at the end of the game. Sometimes teams get in a rut where things dont go their way and they start to believe that they cant win. I believe this years edition of the Washington Redskins is falling into that rut. Lets hope somehow they can pull out of this funk and win 4 in a row and beat out someone else for a playoff spot.

For the most part i agree. i don't see us winning too many more games, especially with last weeks showing. the only excuse of which i found was that the bills came off of two really hard teams the last two weeks. the energy definitely is not there, nor is the leadership it seems. it's really kinda hard to watch to be honest.

We need a target other than Cooley in the Red Zone.

Our receivers cannot be physical when defenses roll up cause they cant get beat deep.

We need someone who can create separation when a DB is chucking at the line. We just dont have it.

I don't seeing us winning Thursday night. These guys just don't care about football right now, and with basically 1 day to get ready for a game, I have a feeling a lot of players will be going through the motions. This team never plays well in New York, so I fully expect us to lose there. After that I think the team will just thrown in the towel. Maybe we get a win against Minnesota, but they are playing great right now look a lot more like a playoff contender than we do.

the wind is simply out of their sails........like many fans...I'm willing to bet...the Skins would like for the season to end tomorrow. not anti-Skin or overly critical...but I think they will be lucky to win ANY of their remaining games.

I'm on that boat.

Cant believe it has turned out like this. They were 5-3 - a solid record! But injuries, bad luck, bad personell moves and bad coaching have all caught up to them. This team cant play a full 4 quarters, sometimes, not even 2 and if this team truly cared, they would have done Sean right and won yesterday.

But they havent done that for themselves or their fans for many seasons, save 1, so it shouldnt be that big a suprise, I guess.

My guess is that they tank the few remaining, win one and go 6-10. Preseason I saw them at 8-8 but like many I was fooled by early victories into thinking they had a shot.

I think we're done. We play well in stretches, but not consistantly enough to beat anyone right now. I think we're looking at 7 wins on the outside. More likely 6.
Unfortunately, I see it as though we seem to play exactly at our opponents level (no matter how good/bad they are) and find a way to hand the game over at the end.

With the exception of New England of course. :doh:

Fair assessments from all of you. It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference bringing Thomas (and Sellers) back will make. The pressure's definitely off right now as probably 99% of "experts" think they've been done.

However, even with one foot on my neck already I'll come out and say the Bears and Vikings are no-dimensional and one-dimensional on offense, respectively. Both have decent defenses but can be had. If anything, the Vikings are getting too much credit for beating a folding-table like the Lions and the perennial fraud Giants. It's true playing in Giant Stadium has been unkind, but the Giants can be had.

That leaves only Dallas in our way. Here's hoping GB gags in Chicago in 3 weeks, which would make it easier for Dallas (having clinched home-field) to overlook us. Even so, that Week17 game could be a "save my job" game for a lot of our players.

So yes, I'm saying we can win out. I'm not saying I'd bet on it.

If we lose Thursday thus eliminated from the playoffs being stuck on 5 isn't that bad for 09 (draft postioning in the back of my mind for look on the bright side purposes) though I'd prefer that win number 6 would be a beat down of Dallas at Fed Ex. a no huddle, fire at will, step on the neck and twist left then right performance til the gun sounds

Right on.

If we lose to Chicago, a far more likely scenario than pulling out a win, then I will officially start rooting for draft position. Then the only game I will be wanting to win, if we lose on Thursday, will be the Dallas game.

Fair assessments from all of you. It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference bringing Thomas (and Sellers) back will make. The pressure's definitely off right now as probably 99% of "experts" think they've been done.

However, even with one foot on my neck already I'll come out and say the Bears and Vikings are no-dimensional and one-dimensional on offense, respectively. Both have decent defenses but can be had. If anything, the Vikings are getting too much credit for beating a folding-table like the Lions and the perennial fraud Giants. It's true playing in Giant Stadium has been unkind, but the Giants can be had.

That leaves only Dallas in our way. Here's hoping GB gags in Chicago in 3 weeks, which would make it easier for Dallas (having clinched home-field) to overlook us. Even so, that Week17 game could be a "save my job" game for a lot of our players.

So yes, I'm saying we can win out. I'm not saying I'd bet on it.

Does it really matter any more what the other teams deficiencies are?? Have The Redskins shown the ability to take advantage of another teams' deficiencies lately. No deficiency is too big and no scoring defecit is too great when you play The 2007 Redskins.

(yes, I'm bitter and angry)

This team has had the "Season From Hell" this year. First, the entire right side of the OL was lost. Then the WR corps was decimated. Then Carlos Rogers-gone, Marcus Washington-out, Mike Sellers-out, Sean Taylor-murdered, Shawn Springs-hurt, I may have missed a few. On top of it was questionable coaching decisions, a horrible schedule, and...well, you guys could probably add more. I dunno. For me, I'm ready to take a deep breath and try to figure out where we go from here. I'll pull for the team until the end (mathematically, we still are in the hunt) but, mercifully, may the season end quickly with no further pain.

the wind is simply out of their sails........like many fans...I'm willing to bet...the Skins would like for the season to end tomorrow. not anti-Skin or overly critical...but I think they will be lucky to win ANY of their remaining games.

Winner of the "Sad But True" Post of the Day.

This team has had the "Season From Hell" this year. First, the entire right side of the OL was lost. Then the WR corps was decimated. Then Carlos Rogers-gone, Marcus Washington-out, Mike Sellers-out, Sean Taylor-murdered, Shawn Springs-hurt, I may have missed a few. On top of it was questionable coaching decisions, a horrible schedule, and...well, you guys could probably add more. I dunno. For me, I'm ready to take a deep breath and try to figure out where we go from here. I'll pull for the team until the end (mathematically, we still are in the hunt) but, mercifully, may the season end quickly with no further pain.

Runner up to the "Sad But True" Post of the Day

Archived