Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder needs to have a sit-down with Joe

RedlightG20

It definitely seems that most older fans who followed the Redskins through the 80's are much more defensive of Joe than the younger fans who only know nearly 15 years of bad football, who are eager to point the finger at Joe and call for his dismissal.

Let me just say that although I'm a younger fan, I love Gibbs as our coach. He has unmatched character, is an established team leader, he's well liked by his staff and players, and he has an incredible history with this franchise. With that, he is given a much longer leash than his counterparts due to his successful track record and relationship with Snyder.

But through nearly four seasons as head coach, his 26-34 record thus far does not exactly warrant a contract extension if that were discussed today. Sure, I'm writing this after one of the worst losses in recent memory as well as a trying time in lieu of Taylor's murder, but it is something that needs to be addressed--and soon.

I'm not calling for Joe's firing. I'm not calling for Joe's resignation. I'm calling for Snyder to have a serious meeting with his main guy and find out where the hell this organization is going. Snyder has a high-profile and highly-paid coach in Joe Gibbs. With so much of his money invested in this man, Snyder needs to expect results, or at least get Joe to show him some glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel.

Bottom line: Snyder needs to crack the whip.

i agree, but this is not the time. at the end of the season, yes.

and, really looking at it, we are in need of a 3-5 year rebuild of the lines. i think gibbs should resign and we should hire a young, firey coach to build around the young core of campbell, cooley, rocky, rogers and landry.

I'm 26 so I don't know where that puts me in terms of young or old fans. However I have alot of respect for Joe Gibbs and back him as our coach. I respect the way you presented this post, and I don't oppose the suggestion. Now I'm not saying I back it, but what I mean is I see your point of view and can understand/relate where you are coming from.

I remember watching America's game for our '91 season and there is a clip of Joe Gibbs telling a story about Jack Kent Cooke getting on his back about the age of players and even used Jimmy Johnson as an example who to be more like.

I am 39 and an old fan and I lost faith in Gibbs a few weeks ago. This ship just cant be righted with him at the helm. It should have worked, we all wanted it to work, it just hasnt worked.

Time to move on and prepare for another couple of rebuilding (loosing) seasons and see if the next shmoe can do any better.

So long, Joe - thanks for 3 superbowls but its time to go back to neckcar.

Guest Rafterman
Gibbs will walk away after the season...its been a tough season and his love for Taylor is too much for him to want to return.

I hope so.

If Gibbs doesn't have enough sense to resign, Synder needs to push him out.

As an older fan who watched eagerly the SB that Joe brought to us, I see it that for 11 years before JG came back, we sucked. We drafted crappy, had no base talent and were directionless.

JG came back and we have a franchise QB, some great draft picks (RIP ST) and a direction. Sure there were some bad signings, trades and trying to rebuild too quick. The problem is the difference between realistic and unrealistic expectations. JG is paying for 11 years of futility and it takes a while to rebuild, esp around a young QB. Im in JGs camp and I have no problem where we are headed and the time to get there. JG still has the game and can coach.

i agree, but this is not the time. at the end of the season, yes.

and, really looking at it, we are in need of a 3-5 year rebuild of the lines. i think gibbs should resign and we should hire a young, firey coach to build around the young core of campbell, cooley, rocky, rogers and landry.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I especially now want to see Landry really step it up and become the defensive leader. He has great potential and is by far one of my favorite Redskins. (The reason I got his jersey). In 3-5 years JC will have peaked I think and will really be ready to lead a team into the playoffs again (and maybe... a super bowl!)

LOL. Guess you guys weren't among the "Snyder has too much influence" crowd that dominated thinking among skins fans prior to JG's return.

What does Snyder know about football, beyond what we "experts" here know? Not much. What can he say beyond: "Win!"? Gee, that will help.

At the end of the year, depending on how things end up, Snyder and Gibbs will no doubt talk about the future. I'm sure they do that after every season. But beyond that, I don't see how Danny's meddling in football affairs will help.

This is not to say JG's performance isn't the issue here--obviously, it is. It's just that going back to a more-involved Danny would be a step backward. If Danny's learned anything, it's to stay out of the way of football issues. If we return to the fantasy football/Madden approach of before, we will NOT improve.

Stick with good football guys to make football decisions. JG may not be that guy anymore, but Danny isn't the answer. Better coaching and scouting is.

It definitely seems that most older fans who followed the Redskins through the 80's are much more defensive of Joe than the younger fans who only know nearly 15 years of bad football, who are eager to point the finger at Joe and call for his dismissal.

Let me just say that although I'm a younger fan, I love Gibbs as our coach. He has unmatched character, is an established team leader, he's well liked by his staff and players, and he has an incredible history with this franchise. With that, he is given a much longer leash than his counterparts due to his successful track record and relationship with Snyder.

But through nearly four seasons as head coach, his 26-34 record thus far does not exactly warrant a contract extension if that were discussed today. Sure, I'm writing this after one of the worst losses in recent memory as well as a trying time in lieu of Taylor's murder, but it is something that needs to be addressed--and soon.

I'm not calling for Joe's firing. I'm not calling for Joe's resignation. I'm calling for Snyder to have a serious meeting with his main guy and find out where the hell this organization is going. Snyder has a high-profile and highly-paid coach in Joe Gibbs. With so much of his money invested in this man, Snyder needs to expect results, or at least get Joe to show him some glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel.

Bottom line: Snyder needs to crack the whip.

Great post and if I could add, it's also time for the coaching staff to crack that whip on the players. Enough of the we're all in this together talk, of course they are, but that doesn't excuse mediocrity.

I watch the games from my seat up in the 400's and am amazed at how unmotivated our team looks when breaking the huddle or when persuing the other team. If they don't want to do it for love of the game then they should do it for the millions in their pay envelope. It's not every member of the team but certainly seems to be a majority. I watched the Pats (and other teams) players break huddle and run to the line then jump up tp do it again and again. They look motivated, they play motivated and they win by being motivated. Some motivation comes from within but sometimes it has to be instilled and that job belongs to the coaching staff.

It's business guys and in business you are expected to perform at least to the level of your compensation. In the real world, you perform or pack your desk up, this should be no different. Few of us are making the kind of money these players are making yet we are expected to perform in our given professions nonetheless.

It's time for folks to measure up!!!

Doc Walker said it best a couple of weeks ago when he said that at some point in the development of a sports organization ACHIEVEMENT has to equal EFFORT.

There is no doubt that the Redskins have played hard under Gibbs and Williams, something we could not say about the team under Steve Spurrier.

BUT, we are working on Year 4 of this program and still have not put a solid foundation in place where we see a consistent playoff contender taking the field week in and week out.

And we see game day mismanagement that has been the 'family' secret here the past few years.

If anyone here thinks that a coach in another city such as New York or Chicago would survive the kind of mistakes we have seen here with the use of challenges and timeouts, you are severely mistaken.

Redskins fans are actually among the most supportive in the NFL.

Like Green Bay and Pittsburgh fans, Redskins fans hope and root for their team regardless of the record.

That can't be said in a lot of places.

Like Green Bay and Pittsburgh fans, Redskins fans hope and root for their team regardless of the record.

That can't be said in a lot of places.

Yeah right. There will be a group that will continue to root for the team, but most "fans" will not continue to support the team.

Snyder should not fire Gibbs unless he thinks that Gibbs is not taking the team in the right direction and that there are other coaches out there that will.

The only person Snyder should be able to ask 'where the hell this organization is going' is in the mirror.

I don't think Snyder should be held accountable since Gibbs' return. As team president, Gibbs should ask Snyder to get him a proper GM, as Gibbs always said he's not good at scouting talent.

There's a million things wrong with this organization, but in the last few seasons, Snyder shouldn't be the lightning rod of all the criticism this team has become accustomed to. Sure, he does have a hand in player personnel each year, and that will never change, but I don't think he'll question Gibbs if asked to get a real personnel evaluator in Ashburn.

I'll take Gibbs at his word when he says he's responsible (as president and coach) for everything related to the state of the franchise. The question you have to ask is whether there is any indication that the franchise has improved during Gibbs 4 years. I can count a few players that are significantly better than anything that they had under Schottenheimer or the old ball coach. But the win-loss record hasn't been any better. In the 4th year of his reign he's lost 5 out of the last seven games and the two wins were in OT and because the other team missing the winning field goal. The team has looked pathetic at times.

While no one really like Schottenheimer he did have an 8:8 record which at 50% win is higher than Gibbs. Morevover, he created a huge amount of cap room and had all of his draft picks. He had primed the team for future improvement. I don't see any of that with Gibbs.

I'm afraid that Snyder will hire the old Steelers coach if Gibbs quits. While he's not bad we should all remember that it took him 15? years to make it to the Superbowl. I would much rather have a knowlegeable GM do a search for up and coming coaches (that we don't know) than take a "name" coach that's just in it for a big payday from Snyder.

I agree: he needs to sit down and talk with Gibbs and at the conclusion of the season.

We obviously don't know Gibbs's feeling on this, but if I were Snyder, I'd say, "Joe, we want you to fulfill yr 5-year contract, but I want an understanding before we proceed. First, you either give Al Saunders completely free-reign over the offense or you fire him and take over OC yourself. Second, cut back on the decision-makers; a lot of the indecision can likely be traced back to too many cooks in the kitchen. You don't see the same type of indecision on the defensive side of the ball b/c Williams rules with an iron fist/will. Third, we're hiring a GM -- not because you're a bad judge of talent, but because you came here to coach and the personnel-related responsibilities are too much. I'd love your input on GM candidates, but I want to bring someone in from another club to help give us some perspective on what we're doing right and wrong from a personnel standpoint."

The lack of separation of powers has damaged both our country and our football team.

Archived