Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sorry, but need to get this off my chest.

Skinsfansince72

You may have a point there. In that context how is a tropper any different than a doctor or teacher? I hold them in much higher regard.

I'd almost rather not post this due to the nature of the thread, but for policemen and military I do it on an individual basis. While I recognize the commitment and risks that are taken in joining those forces, I just simply know too many people who went into them for the wrong reasons. At the same time, I've had my fair share of bad issues with them over extremely minor things (think being berated and treated like dog poop over something like an expired state inspection). Then again, I don't feel that you should ever take a whole group and place them into a higher accord, we're all individuals and should be recognized as such.

Finally, someone speaks with a sense of reason. I am sorry about your troops bro. Hopefully the State has the resources to properly care for the families in this tragedy.

It is past time people here get over the ST murder. If they have not found the proper place to put it within themselves by now, they need help.

Oh look guys, we have an internet psychiatrist!

You'll be offended by this, I'm sure, but a professional football player is more important to society than traffic police. Most of the nation hates state troopers because no one knows of the good things you do for people in distress largely because you're pulling people over for going 70 in a 55 on a road that is only 55 so you have a job to make money pulling people who are going 70 over.

A professional football player touches a community and a world because he is the ELITE of the world in what he does. Just as every athlete, professional musician in the National Symphony and every great actor and every top scientist is admired and respected by some because they've achieved a level of greatness the vast majority of humanity never could.

A computer guy, or state cop, or human resources exec is what everyone is and what everyone does and what everyone can be. It's just not going to be the same.

Very well stated.

That is not even close to being the same and I think you know that. You don't have to prepare 18 hours a day to go out and be a tropper.

No you are right, you do not have to prepare 18 hours a day to be a trooper. It is a 24/7 job, and you mus be prepared 24/7. You know nothing of what it is like to be a Police Officer, as I do not know anything of what it is like to be a miner. But military men and women as well as law enforcement lose their lives defening YOUR freedoms, they die DEFENDING our society, and they do know the risks, and that my friend is what makes them/us special.

That is not even close to being the same and I think you know that. You don't have to prepare 18 hours a day to go out and be a tropper.

A trooper makes hardly any money and put their lives on he line every single day. They never know when the next traffic stop they make will result in a shoot out.

Anyways, I give up man. You win. You're right.

I appreciate the devistation that you experienced, however in this case we lost a family member. As a die hard Skins fan I can tell you that I truly hold every member of this organization close to my heart. They are family to me. This week we lost a family member. Certainly it is no more/less tragic then the event you experienced, but it does not effect me in the same way.

The media works to report on the events that effect the greatest amount of people. We cannot expect them to cover every death or tragedy in the same way. We cannot expect them to make a story of everyone that encounters cancer...or dies for a accident...or from a murder. All equally as important, but some events effect more people than others.

You'll be offended by this, I'm sure, but a professional football player is more important to society than traffic police. Most of the nation hates state troopers because no one knows of the good things you do for people in distress largely because you're pulling people over for going 70 in a 55 on a road that is only 55 so you have a job to make money pulling people who are going 70 over.

A professional football player touches a community and a world because he is the ELITE of the world in what he does. Just as every athlete, professional musician in the National Symphony and every great actor and every top scientist is admired and respected by some because they've achieved a level of greatness the vast majority of humanity never could.

A computer guy, or state cop, or human resources exec is what everyone is and what everyone does and what everyone can be. It's just not going to be the same.

I take no offense to this Art, becuase I know it is misinformation. Yes Troopers makes numerous amounts of traffic stops. Most criminals use motor vehicles as a method of transportation. Just think of it this way. Lets say a traffic cop stops the vehicle that was carrying Sean Taylors murderers on the way to his house. The traffic stop results in the discovery of the weapon, and leads to arrests. This negates a murder. This is the impact that police can have. A traffic stop for speeding or any other violation is just an excuse to check people out.

Although I do agree you can not compare the life and death of a cop to a professional athlete, movie star or media mogul. Because of stardom, and money, they can impact a community much more than most other people.

No you are right, you do not have to prepare 18 hours a day to be a trooper. It is a 24/7 job, and you mus be prepared 24/7. You know nothing of what it is like to be a Police Officer, as I do not know anything of what it is like to be a miner. But military men and women as well as law enforcement lose their lives defening YOUR freedoms, they die DEFENDING our society, and they do know the risks, and that my friend is what makes them/us special.

Oh please! They work 8 hours and go home to their family till the next day. Many others do the same job. Most anyone can do the job. A football player is special. Hardly any can do his job. A lot of these "law enforcement" you so admire are nothing more than criminals. I'm from the city; I doubt these problems are rampant in Cumberland.

They are a necessary entity and most of them are probably honest people, but just a few corrupt cops can poison the entire force. The police do not police themselves. Internal affairs is a joke. The call it the blue wall. The commit the same crimes as we except they do it with impunity. In the city here they even shoot innocent people on occasion. Defending our freedom, yes, while their brethren violate our rights and their sworn duty- again with impunity. Sorry if I don't share your affinity, our live paths are obviously different. I see the reality of life, not what's on tv.

Sorry folks, but this something that I just need to say. Some of you will not like it......but hopefully will understand where I am coming from.

I have been a redskin fan for (see screen name) 35 years.....longer than some of you have been alive, and Sean Taylors' death is definatly the hardest thing I have ever faced as a Skins fan. Harder than any loss at any time. BUT.......

The reason I am making this post is because there is something that is bothering me personally. I am a Colorado State Trooper, and have been for 13 years. In those 13 years, I have witnessed three brothers die in the line of duty. I have also witnessed several other Troopers injured so bad, that they were not able to continue with their careers as Troopers. One month ago, we had two Troopers get run over while they were parked in the center median assisting a motorist who had lost their load. As traffic backed up, a driver in a pickup truck skidded to avoid traffic, went off the left side of the roadway and ran over both Troopers. One died, and the other is still in a wheel chair.

My question to you folks is how many of you knew about that? My guess is none. How many of you knew that both of these guys had/have a wife and kids? Again...none. Our organization is a 24/7 operation. We cannot take a break to morn our fallen brothers. We cannot stop arresting the felons that we do to show how sorry we are because we have lost one of our family. Yet, all of america knows about Sean because he was a football player. And the part that pisses me off the most, is that fact that there are alot of people who have suggested that we postpone the games. Why? There is nothing that we can do to make the situation any better. There is nothing we can do to change it. I know that we all morn in different ways, and some people handle it better than others......but......as mean as this may sound.....life goes on. It does not stop. We do not stop. And I know, just as all of you know that Sean would want nothing more than for us to go out kick the crap out of the Buffalo Bills today.

I guess I am being just a little selfish here, but the fact remains that I think postponing the game is rediculas.

Sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest. Thank you.

Mark

Sorry about your losses brother, I have my own problems. Who knew my wife had to have a lung transplant when she never smoked a day in her life. A congenital disease but you know what...Life goes on. Peace

Oh please! They work 8 hours and go home to their family till the next day. Many others do the same job. Most anyone can do the job. A football player is special. Hardly any can do his job. A lot of these "law enforcement" you so admire are nothing more than criminals. I'm from the city; I doubt these problems are rampant in Cumberland.

They are a necessary entity and most of them are probably honest people, but just a few corrupt cops can poison the entire force. The police do not police themselves. Internal affairs is a joke. The call it the blue wall. The commit the same crimes as we except they do it with impunity. In the city here they even shoot innocent people on occasion. Defending our freedom, yes, while their brethren violate our rights and their sworn duty- again with impunity. Sorry if I don't share your affinity, our live paths are obviously different. I see the reality of life, not what's on tv.

But we are always here for you to call, should you have a problem. Even when you hate us so much. I live the reality of being a cop. I am a 14 year veteran of the Maryland State Police. I do not need to see what is on T.V. I live it every day. You should visit the Officer Down Memorial page, and read about Police Officer Deaths just in 2007. BTW I am sorry that Long Island is apparently a terrible place to live with a bunch of corrupt cops. But it is not that way across the nation. But you choose to ignore the bulk of my post, is that Police Officers die defending people. They go to work everyday, knowing that they are going to see the worst side of people, who are usually at the lowest points in their lives. This is what makes cops special. I am not trying to compare the death of a cop to that of Sean Taylor. Football is 6 months a year, being a cop is 365 days a year.

But we are always here for you to call, should you have a problem. Even when you hate us so much.

Oh, didn't know you were a member of the fraternity. Yes, I said you are necessary, and vital to our being. I don't hate you. It's just the actions of a few reflect on the many, especially when they have a code of silence.

Finally, someone speaks with a sense of reason. I am sorry about your troops bro. Hopefully the State has the resources to properly care for the families in this tragedy.

It is past time people here get over the ST murder. If they have not found the proper place to put it within themselves by now, they need help.

I agree 100%.

But it didn't matter in the long run. We lost today and we would have lost if it had of been postponed.

Wow. :doh:

That is just dumb.

No disrespect to Sean, but a football player is an entertainer. They have no value to society other than entertainment.

Some people need to really get a grip around here.

To the OP - as a police officer, you are taking a risky job and you go into it knowing that you or your colleagues could be hurt or killed at any time. You accept that, and that acceptance is a built in way for you to handle it when something does happen. Also, you may have to continue working through your grieving, but most law enforcement departments have the resources to bring in grief counselors to help you and your families cope. As sports fans from all different backgrounds, many of us counted on each other last week because we don't have the kind of resources, nor do we understand the gravity of tragedy, the way police officers do. And I'm sure most of us here went about our responsibilites just fine, albeit with heavy hearts.

People deal with things in many different ways. And they have reasons for why something affects them more than something else. I think most of us respect the risks police officers take in trying to maintain peace and order in our world, but it doesn't mean we use it to temper our feelings for things that affect use more directly.

Thank you for your service to the public (and I live in Colorado too). I didn't know about the specific cases you mentioned because I didn't see them in the news. However, I have seen similar cases from time to time in the news, and it's always sad.

The public is protected thinks to people like you who are willing to put your lives on the line, and that's appreciated.

I'm very sorry for your losses, man. Still, people can't know and mourn every person who dies. It's a shame for it but true. Sean is mourned by many because he was known by many, and it would be true of anyone in that situation.

I get everyone's point, but to those of you telling people they need help if they haven't quite moved on from Sean... get over it. Just because people handle things differently doesn't mean they handle them incorrectly. Your judgment calls are unfair and unkind. Sean's death was sudden and senseless and that alone will make it hard to deal with for some who are facing such things for the first time.

Sorry folks, but this something that I just need to say. Some of you will not like it......but hopefully will understand where I am coming from.

I have been a redskin fan for (see screen name) 35 years.....longer than some of you have been alive, and Sean Taylors' death is definatly the hardest thing I have ever faced as a Skins fan. Harder than any loss at any time. BUT.......

The reason I am making this post is because there is something that is bothering me personally. I am a Colorado State Trooper, and have been for 13 years. In those 13 years, I have witnessed three brothers die in the line of duty. I have also witnessed several other Troopers injured so bad, that they were not able to continue with their careers as Troopers. One month ago, we had two Troopers get run over while they were parked in the center median assisting a motorist who had lost their load. As traffic backed up, a driver in a pickup truck skidded to avoid traffic, went off the left side of the roadway and ran over both Troopers. One died, and the other is still in a wheel chair.

My question to you folks is how many of you knew about that? My guess is none. How many of you knew that both of these guys had/have a wife and kids? Again...none. Our organization is a 24/7 operation. We cannot take a break to morn our fallen brothers. We cannot stop arresting the felons that we do to show how sorry we are because we have lost one of our family. Yet, all of america knows about Sean because he was a football player. And the part that pisses me off the most, is that fact that there are alot of people who have suggested that we postpone the games. Why? There is nothing that we can do to make the situation any better. There is nothing we can do to change it. I know that we all morn in different ways, and some people handle it better than others......but......as mean as this may sound.....life goes on. It does not stop. We do not stop. And I know, just as all of you know that Sean would want nothing more than for us to go out kick the crap out of the Buffalo Bills today.

I guess I am being just a little selfish here, but the fact remains that I think postponing the game is rediculas.

Sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest. Thank you.

Mark

Of course no one can misunderstand the danger of your job. I totally understand where your coming from I've got friends involved in Law Enforcement. The deaths of your Troopers share the similarity with the death of Sean Taylor. The similarity is that they died defending something greater then themselves. No one can trivialize the death of a Trooper, I wouldn't dare to do so. But with Sean we are talking about untapped potential and a role model. For my young cousin, a role model. Sean was a man maturing and growing and he died defending his home. What hurts me most is the senselessness of it all. Every young persons' death should have some affect on everyone. Just tonight, a young girl (in Chicago) aged 4 was shot and killed. I feel pain for that as well as for Sean. I didn't know her either but I have my way of dealing with pain. As we all do. Once again, I'm not trying to trivialize anything. I understand where your coming from but try to understand my perspective. :helmet:

Archived