Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Whitlock: Taylor's death a grim reminder for us all

MikeB

Self Destruction came out in 1988... KRS One got the inspiration after his DJ Scott La Rock was murdered...

and rap was raunchy back then, it just was not popular... Schooly D, KRS One's first album, I can go on..

as for what I bolded... all black people are going through that? do you really believe that? if you do, I feel for you... the same thing that Whitlock is spewing is the same issue for all hte poor in America... its just that it is important to put a black face on it so that all my people can now live with that burden... its BS.... and whitlock knows it but he wants to be a shock journalist now, instead of writing real articles

Not all black people are going through that. But, there is a percentage who engage in the self-destructive behavior to which Whitlock refers. I know it's not all blacks, but when I hear a group of young ones dropping f-bombs, using the n-word and talking loud, it embarrasses me as a black man. That's all I was saying.

As for the song, I couldn't remember the exact date, but the point is that it's just as relevant today.

Not all black people are going through that. But, there is a percentage who engage in the self-destructive behavior to which Whitlock refers. I know it's not all blacks, but when I hear a group of young ones dropping f-bombs, using the n-word and talking loud, it embarrasses me as a black man. That's all I was saying.

As for the song, I couldn't remember the exact date, but the point is that it's just as relevant today.

I don't disagree. One point though:

What does any of that have to do with Sean Taylor? Whitlock has created a template in which ANY death of a young black man can be placed at the feet of hip hop culture. What if it turns out that the murderers are Cuban?

I can ride with that... and I dont disagree... my problem is that Hip Hop isnt the problem... was it the problem when people were shooting themselves up with Heroin and cocaine 70s and 80s? was it the problem when a generation of fathers were locked up for the draconian crack/cocaine ratio laws?

this was happening before Hip Hop was around... and who is to blame for when white, asians, and latinos, get in the same mess? do we blame Toby Keith? Cody Chestnutt? Dwight Yokum? Brittney Spears? you see my point... music/entertainment does play a role, but I look more into what is going on in the homes, I look at what is going on in our government, etc... much, much more than I will entertainment... after all, it is just a reflection of what is taking place in society...

saying that, artists do need to be more responsible... as do the kids practicing that self destructive behavior... but Whitlock is causing as much harm if not more imo...

Self Destruction came out in 1988... KRS One got the inspiration after his DJ Scott La Rock was murdered...

and rap was raunchy back then, it just was not popular... Schooly D, KRS One's first album, I can go on..

as for what I bolded... all black people are going through that? do you really believe that? if you do, I feel for you... the same thing that Whitlock is spewing is the same issue for all hte poor in America... its just that it is important to put a black face on it so that all my people can now live with that burden... its BS.... and whitlock knows it but he wants to be a shock journalist now, instead of writing real articles

I wrote I wouldn't touch this any more but I like what you're putting down!!!:applause: :applause:

I don't disagree. One point though:

What does any of that have to do with Sean Taylor? Whitlock has created a template in which ANY death of a young black man can be placed at the feet of hip hop culture. What if it turns out that the murderers are Cuban?

While I can't get into his head' date=' I think Whitlock is using Taylor's death as another example of the black-on-black crime that sometimes occurs when a black man who once lived a life on the streets tries to better himself and his former "boyz" think he's "selling out." These actions are popularized in a lot of hip-hop songs and, unfortunately, impressionable minds act it out. And even if Taylor's assailant(s) are not black, Whitlock is saying that once one lives that life for a while, he or she never really escapes it, and it can come back in the form of revenge or not being able to advance because of a criminal record.

I can ride with that... and I dont disagree... my problem is that Hip Hop isnt the problem... was it the problem when people were shooting themselves up with Heroin and cocaine 70s and 80s? was it the problem when a generation of fathers were locked up for the draconian crack/cocaine ratio laws?

this was happening before Hip Hop was around... and who is to blame for when white, asians, and latinos, get in the same mess? do we blame Toby Keith? Cody Chestnutt? Dwight Yokum? Brittney Spears? you see my point... music/entertainment does play a role, but I look more into what is going on in the homes, I look at what is going on in our government, etc... much, much more than I will entertainment... after all, it is just a reflection of what is taking place in society...

saying that, artists do need to be more responsible... as do the kids practicing that self destructive behavior... but Whitlock is causing as much harm if not more imo...

I think Whitlock's point is that, because of our history, blacks -- and please note that I include myself in this -- need to be more responsible in the actions. He believes that Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X and the Little Rock Nine, among others, didn't make the sacrifices they made and risk their lives for today's blacks to act like they have no sense, and he among many others are frustrated by that.

Or maybe he is simply a young african american wanting better for the young african american youth in this country. Reads to me like he is troubled by the violence. Maybe you should be less concerned with "white america" (what a stupidly racist comment, by the way), and more concerned with the ills of our black youth.

Just read your response and i tried to stay out but you pulled me back in (LOL)

How can a man who always writeS to shock our communtiy, which he may percieve as a wake up, and ALWAYS has the remarks of a man blaming music? I've taught,and coached many young african american kids and gone into the projects and helped be a man to some. You don't hear about that though do you? As a matter of fact can we get some more help so men like whitlock can shut up and get involved? DON'T SPEAK ABOUT BE ABOUT IT!!!!

I think Whitlock's point is that, because of our history, blacks -- and please note that I include myself in this -- need to be more responsible in the actions. He believes that Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X and the Little Rock Nine, among others, didn't make the sacrifices they made and risk their lives for today's blacks to act like they have no sense, and he among many others are frustrated by that.

except that his articles show he has no sense himself... by the stereotyping and pointing fingers instead of offering solutions... that has been his schtik the past few years now... we do need to be responsible for our actions... but to say, "Its these black kids faults why all of this is going on" shows ignorance on his part and shows he is trying to absolve the powers that be from the problems as well...

young black kids are not buying assult weapons from dealers... they are not shipping cocaine from Peru... u can only live what you have seen... their is a reason why as many black males are imprisoned now as they were enslaved... their is a reason why all of this is going on

their is always that common story about the hoods in America staying hoods for centuries... its because of poverty... the same was true when the Irish were living there, the the Italians, then African Americans, and now Latinos... but instead of looking at poverty as the one constant, its about blaming black poor people only for their problems... just like Wilbon, Whitlock, Bayless, etc are trying to do with Sean Taylor's passing... its sickening... if you want see the Black KKK in action, read a Whitlock article

While I can't get into his head, I think Whitlock is using Taylor's death as another example of the black-on-black crime that sometimes occurs when a black man who once lived a life on the streets tries to better himself and his former "boyz" think he's "selling out." These actions are popularized in a lot of hip-hop songs and, unfortunately, impressionable minds act it out. And even if Taylor's assailant(s) are not black, Whitlock is saying that once one lives that life for a while, he or she never really escapes it, and it can come back in the form of revenge or not being able to advance because of a criminal record.

I can go with that and we all need to get invovled period but whitlock is a sensationalist. When was the last time you think he was in the projects of K city?

I will continue to say that any person who blames ANY music for what's going on in America has no clue. Music does not make me go out and kick someone's ass. Music does not make me go out and shoot up some kid. Music does not make me rob a store, use drugs, call a woman a "ho", or do anything else that might be considered negative in the eyes of God.

Parents are the reason why kids do what they do. Parents must become a bigger part of their child's lives, and if they start to see the signs, they must get their children help. Music doesn't send out messages to your brain making you commit crimes, so stop blaming the artists and start blaming yourselves.

Your wrong. Music may not make you or I do those things, but to a young child or teenager, it definately influences them by glamorizing those qualities.

I was driving home the other day and crossed a station playing some of these tunes... the lyrics are flat out sick. I can't believe they gave Howard Stern such a hard time yet they can play these songs and their lyrics on air withought issue... unbelievable.

To your point, parenting influences more for sure, but you can't say that music doesn't play a part in it.

Your wrong. Music may not make you or I do those things, but to a young child or teenager, it definately influences them by glamorizing those qualities.

I was driving home the other day and crossed a station playing some of these tunes... the lyrics are flat out sick. I can't believe they gave Howard Stern such a hard time yet they can play these songs and their lyrics on air withought issue... unbelievable.

To your point, parenting influences more for sure, but you can't say that music doesn't play a part in it.

Music only plays a part when the parents are not there to let the kids know that this is ENTERTAINMENT. I know i listen to Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, and I have never wanted to shoot anyone or "superman that hoe!" Because I knew right from wrong and was afraid that my paretns would kick my butt. If you don't know right from wrong, and have no one to tell u what you should and should not do, this is what happens. But that doesn't mean it is Hip Hop fault.

It's like a fat perosn blaming McDs for giving them high cholesterol. I am sorry, but no one makes them put McDs in their mouth. We all have choices to make.

I will continue to say that any person who blames ANY music for what's going on in America has no clue. Music does not make me go out and kick someone's ass. Music does not make me go out and shoot up some kid. Music does not make me rob a store, use drugs, call a woman a "ho", or do anything else that might be considered negative in the eyes of God.

Parents are the reason why kids do what they do. Parents must become a bigger part of their child's lives, and if they start to see the signs, they must get their children help. Music doesn't send out messages to your brain making you commit crimes, so stop blaming the artists and start blaming yourselves.

I agree with you mostly, but anyone who thinks that the cultural effect of seeing more and more violence, and hearing it glamourised on TV, in music, whatever is not important is ALSo talking out of their ass. Of course it does. People are numbed to seeing violent and horrific things on the news, in films, as entertainment and in music. The overall effect of that ABSOLUTELY must affect our perception of the world, and our moral judgements on it. You're right that there are many things that need fixing, the breakdown of the family unit, social responsibility and education, but it's silly to pretend that the never ending stream of **** coming out of our TVs, CD players and what have you does not have an effect on how you view certain behaviours or activities.

I agree with this for the most part. Active parenting is what is needed to solve the problem. Fatherless kids are growing up to be abesntee fathers themselves. It's become a self perpetuating cycle. This has led to directionless kids who are subject to the influence of these artists and their lyrics. Just look at how attached so many are to ST. Grown men crying over someone they've never met and really know very little about personally.

These kids idolize these artists, who become defacto father figures. Your point is valid as to how to solve the issue, but don't be naive and think these artists and their lyrics aren't contributing to the current problems.

surely the problem is not just "active parenting", it's that these kids don't have proper families to start with. There can't be active parenting if there's no parents around to do it.

I also would like to point out that Whitlock has no idea who actually killed Sean Taylor.

He is using Taylor's death as an example of black on black crime....and then blaming black on black crime on hip hop...without knowing if it is actually black on black crime.

He begins with a baseless assumption and then immediately leaps to a dubious connection.

A 400-pound man should not engage in this types of gymnastics.

By the way, Jemele Hill's column also begins with the assumption that this is black on black crime. But she avoids pointing fingers and tries to look at the issue in a large tangible way. The question becomes how do we stop the slaughter of young black men? I think that is a fair column.

Whitlock (and to some degree Wilbon) make that assumption and then start pointing fingers. The question is how can we blame Sean Taylor for his own murder?

I can see where he is coming from. black people won't change unless they want to. That is why I am trying to teach my little brother, my nephews, and my little cousins, that you can still be a cool person with an education and have the good things in life. You don't disrespect women, sell drugs, and shoot people.

I can see where he is coming from. black people won't change unless they want to. That is why I am trying to teach my little brother, my nephews, and my little cousins, that you can still be a cool person with an education and have the good things in life. You don't disrespect women, sell drugs, and shoot people.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

This is interesting considering that last night during the republican presedential debate the candidates were asked by a young black male what they would do about black on black crime. The answers mostly consisted of better parenting/education, which I thought was pretty vague. I would like to hear that answer from a black candidate to see the difference.

This is interesting considering that last night during the republican presedential debate the candidates were asked by a young black male what they would do about black on black crime. The answers mostly consisted of better parenting/education, which I thought was pretty vague. I would like to hear that answer from a black candidate to see the difference.

That's an easy one; legalize drugs. The corruption and cynicism of the illegal drug trade is no different than prohibition was some 80 years ago; gangster, money, flashy cars, cloths, fast, disposable women, and violence.

Blaming the hip hop culture is blaming a symptom. The underlying disease is the cynicism and corruption.

Ugh Whitlock? Jason Whitlock. Why does anyone listen to him. He never says anything of substance. All of his articles are the same. He always blames everything on hip hop. I remember watching the HBO special, "Gang Wars: Bangin' In Little Rock." One of the guys that lived in the hood said it and I agree. "I can go outside see someone get shot, someone buying drugs, someone getting beat down. It doesn't matter what they say on the record when you see the real thing outside." I am paraphrasing but the point stands. All its exaggerated for the most part, these glorified "studio gangsta" rappers are drawing from things they or someone they know have experience. What do think is more influential a song or a real life situation.

Jason Whitlock is a fraud. He is one of the main problems in the black community. He is the type of person that "gets his" and doesn't try to help others. He said so himself on many occasions. I am tired of this ridiculous notion that hip hop, tv, video games, etc. are the problem. Whenever a tradegy happens the media cycles through one of those reasons and doens't look for the real problem. The older generation buys into hook, line, and sinker without any more though. I mean they tried to blame the VT incident on video games and the guy didn't own any. They are doing the same thing with Sean Taylors situation. Trying to shoe horn a common scapegoat into this situation without knowing anything.

How many of the older posters here watched Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry etc. Using your logic and people like Whitlocks you should all be cross dressing, buying dynamite, shooting, stabbing, setting people on fire etc. You aren't you know why? Your parents for the most part did their frickin jobs. You parents were allowed to discipline you. Teachers were allowed to discipline etc. Between irresponsible parents and responsible parents that have one hands tied by behind their back legally when it comes to discipline, our society as a whole is faltering. It's just more prevalent in poorer communities.

If you are going to make a living shining a light on problems in the community, you better be providing solutions as well. Whitlock doesn't provide any. I can sit here and say to fix this problem do this. That isn't proving a solution. Providing a solution is not only thinking of way to fix a problem but getting off your ass and putting that plan into action. Whitlock is worse than anyone he derides because he knows what the issue is and does nothing to remedy the situation. They can claim ignorance, he cannot.

Archived