Extremeskins

Jason Whitlock: Taylor's death a grim reminder for us all

MikeB

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10637

Click link for full article.

Taylor's death a grim reminder for us all

Jason Whitlock / FOXSports.com

Posted: 2 minutes ago

There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.

Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.

The Black KKK claimed another victim, a high-profile professional football player with a checkered past this time.

No, we don't know for certain the circumstances surrounding Taylor's death. I could very well be proven wrong for engaging in this sort of aggressive speculation. But it's no different than if you saw a fat man fall to the ground clutching his chest. You'd assume a heart attack, and you'd know, no matter the cause, the man needed to lose weight.

Well, when shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger. That's not some negative, unfair stereotype. It's a reality we've been living with, tolerating and rationalizing for far too long.

When the traditional, white KKK lynched, terrorized and intimidated black folks at a slower rate than its modern-day dark-skinned replacement, at least we had the good sense to be outraged and in no mood to contemplate rationalizations or be fooled by distractions.

con't....

"You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration.

Of course there are other catalysts, but until we recapture the minds of black youth, convince them that it's not OK to "super man dat ho" and end any and every dispute by "****ing on your *****," nothing will change."

This article should be required reading for anyone wanting to understand the cause(s) of so many wasted young lives.............

"You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration.

Of course there are other catalysts, but until we recapture the minds of black youth, convince them that it's not OK to "super man dat ho" and end any and every dispute by "****ing on your *****," nothing will change."

This article should be required reading for anyone wanting to understand the cause(s) of so many wasted young lives.............

as a older african american i agree with this. we are killing ourselves. it has got to stop

I agree there is a larger issue but the way Whitlock's story blends into the national media's coverage of this horrific tragedy by disparaging Sean based on the past failures of a 24 (21 when he was in trouble) year old bothers me. There's just no evidence yet that this was a gang hit or drug deal gone bad. Maybe there will be at some point. But honestly, there isnt even any evidence that another black guy did this. Talk about an assumption. I see that racism from a mile away. . . and Im white.

I agree there is a larger issue but the way Whitlock's story blends into the national media's coverage of this horrific tragedy by disparaging Sean based on the past failures of a 24 (21 when he was in trouble) year old bothers me. There's just no evidence yet that this was a gang hit or drug deal gone bad. Maybe there will be at some point. But honestly, there isnt even any evidence that another black guy did this. Talk about an assumption. I see that racism from a mile away. . . and Im white.

I think Whitlock has some factual errors about Sean, but the point he's making isn't about Sean - it's about looking the other way about black-on-black crime. It doesn't matter if the Sean's murderer is white, black or asian. Sean's death is news only because he was a great football player. There will be 100 Seans who don't play football killed tonight and tomorrow night and the night after that - because no one is strong enough to face the problem. As Deion said in the clip in another thread, its time for leaders to lead, and followers to follow, but no one is leading.

Jason touched some nerves on this one, and he is 100% correct. I can't speak on Sean Taylor's death and what happened but I do know that some of his past choices and decisions probably had something to do with his death. But that issue takes a back seat to what the real issue is. We have to take "full" responsibility for the choices we make and don't make. I have had some opportunities in my past that I didn't take full advantage of but I refuse to blame anyone else for that. Until people get outraged and involved about problems in their communities then these problems will persist. Like he said, the ignorance in the music and entertainment industry are not the cause but they definitely are not helping because people perceive it as acceptable behavior. The people who hurt the most are the ones who were close to Sean who chose to do nothing to help him.

I was just about to post this,......

I feel for all of you blaming Hip-Hop for this, Imus, Jena, Michael Richardson and EVERY other racial problem in the nation.

I remember Cooley High and Cornbread Earl and Me. I NEVER once heard those movies get blamed for violence on city streets...... (and there WAS black-on-black violence in both...well Cooley High anyway.. )

Folks are blaming Hip-Hop for gang violence in Chicago..... LA.... (Contrary to popular belief;DC does NOT have 'gangs' and hasn't since the late 80's. 8th & H would be the downfall of that.)

Bloods/ Crips (LA primarily) ; Folks/ Disciples in Chicago were BOTH around YEARS before Hip-Hop. Both gained their strength after the dismantling of the Black Panthers in the late 60's.

I guess Hip-Hop brought guns into the 'inner cities'. I guess Hip-Hop brought crack cocaine into the 'inner cities'. (Of course large amounts of blacks had passports and airplanes in the 60's and contacts with South American and Asain governments.) I guess Hip-Hop artist starred in Scarface. (Pacino 1983 AND the original with Cagney) I guess Hip-Hop built Las Vegas, (not the Mafia)... Hip-Hop segregated EVERY major city in the US. (not Brown vs. Board of Education.) I guess Hip-Hop created the noose... and lynchings as well.

I only hope that at some point, people start looking at the Man in the Mirror. and NOT a form of music that is BARELY 30 yrs old. Because drugs, foul language and crime did NOT start in 'urban' areas 30 years ago.......

I will agree with the statment:

There are NO leaders...... (on a national stage)

Oh and i'm black and was for the most part, raised IN DC.... (and i've lived ALL over the US)

I wish I could quote Jay-Z from his song 'Ignorant ****'... (please Google/read the lyrics and hopefully people will get the point of what he's saying.)

Whitlock is one of my favorite writers. I'm attaching a link to a TV appearance he made around the time of the Don Imus blunder. Its one of the best examples of extemporaneous speaking that I've ever seen. If you only want to hear things that are politically correct, however, please do not click on the link because it will probably upset you.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=2111

I understand what you're saying, Whodat. But I think many young black men aren't motivated by the things that happened in the past. They see the current influence of hip hop in their world and many take their cues from that. Those other things you mentioned were always there, but they weren't revered and celebrated the way hip hop culture is. These days we have recording artists who financed their early recordings with money they made selling drugs. We have videos showing this thug life as something to be involved in because then you get to live in fancy houses, wear lots of jewelry and drive nice cars. We have rap artists not only talking about and showing violence in their work, but also doing it in real life over stupid grudges between labels and which side of the country you're from.

I've complained about Whitlock's racial rantings before. He's often used the race argument in aspects of sports where it didn't seem to fit. BUt in this case, he has made a lot of good points. I might not be as inclined to say that, but after hearing what Antrelle Rolle had to say about what's going on in Florida and how there are people down there who hated Sean, it makes a lot of sense to come to the conclusion this was probably another case of one black man killing another. And he's also right that it makes it no less tragic. In fact, I think it's even more tragic because it's not only taken away a great man, but it continues to cast a shadow over so many black men who aren't deserving of the stereotype this kind of thing causes.

To be sure, there is no hint whatsoever that this was a "drug deal gone bad" and that thought should be stricken from the record.

But for those who think the hip hop culture is blameless...............

Are you taking stupid pills or what????

Listen to the lyrics.

Listen to the interviews, and the lifestyles these guys advocate.

Then get back to me.

Jason is one of my favorite sports reporters/commentators. Dude always calls it the way it is. He's not afraid to call people out. He grilled the NBA for going to Vegas for the All Star game and teh debauchery and gangster fest that it turned in to. He's been a vocal critical of the "hip hop" culture and how it is influencing some African American athletes and sports in general.

Brave I hear you.... I can't disagree too much with you..... (and I too think this is more than just a 'b-n-e' or simple robbery.)

Penn...

I can 'appreciate' your views.... HOWEVER, all of these things were going on, and were VERY prevalent 40 yrs ago. Not sure if you have ever heard Malcolm X speak, but he OFTEN spoke/ complained about misogyny, drugs and crime in the early 60's. Remember, he was assassinated in 1965. EVERY point that leveled against Hip-Hop he leveled against the 'Black Community' between 1960 - 1965.

Blameless..... I have NEVER said that..... but you can't blame Hip-Hop without blaming Hollywood 1st. Rock & Roll... The US Government. (we can go on)

Hip-Hop is NOT the ROOT problem. You can't build a house without a foundation. The Empire State, Sears Tower, WTC buildings weren't built from the top floor down.... they were built from the ground UP.

We can ban Hip-Hop. But what good does that do if the same images are portrayed in movies. Human believe what they see 1st. We can ban words 'n-word'/ 'b-word' Not saying certain words doesn't work.... new/ other words emerge.

All I am saying, is to even come ANYWHERE near 'fixing' issues.... you have to get to the bottom, the core. You HAVE to fix the root.

Sorry you seem to think i'm stupid... (Notice I haven't needed nor deemed it necessary to resort to name calling.) I challenge YOU to listen to the lyrics. I gave you a song above.... I can give you MANY, MANY more.

Take care and have a great evening!

Nice post, Whodat.

I don't think banning rap would do anything to fix what's already broken and, as you pointed out, has been broken for a long time. I think the rappers who advocate this kind of lifestyle that gets young men into trouble need to be encouraged to try to focus on other aspects of life, and to create material that could have a positive influence. Don't they care about their brothers who pay for their albums and concert tickets? If so, why don't they step up and be real men and try to use the public attention God has blessed them with to do something good in their community?

It's like in the 80s, when heavy metal was under fire. People were accusing Ozzy and Judas Priest of causing their fans to commit suicide. Ozzy wondered why people thought he was trying to kill off his beloved fans. I wonder if some of the rappers feel the same.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say. It's too far off the main subject, which is that we have lost someone who meant a lot to all of us.

These rappers are just puppets. They know that in order for their music to reach the mainstream audience, it has to be one dimensional. It has to glamorize violence and drugs. Artists like Talib Kweli, Common, and many other semi-underground artists don't get as much media attention because they rap about positive topics and the problems in the black community. 20 years ago, those artists would be a part of the mainstream rap/hip hop. Also the mainstream songs are so popular because they have catchy beats so the negative messages in the songs are lost in a way.

I will continue to say that any person who blames ANY music for what's going on in America has no clue. Music does not make me go out and kick someone's ass. Music does not make me go out and shoot up some kid. Music does not make me rob a store, use drugs, call a woman a "ho", or do anything else that might be considered negative in the eyes of God.

Parents are the reason why kids do what they do. Parents must become a bigger part of their child's lives, and if they start to see the signs, they must get their children help. Music doesn't send out messages to your brain making you commit crimes, so stop blaming the artists and start blaming yourselves.

I agree. It starts with the parents. It makes me wonder why people have children when they know that they aren't responsible enough to raise them properly. As long as people continue to do this, more bad things will happen as a result of a lack of guidance.

Jason Whitlock is once again running the company line. He has assumed that Sean was murdered from some form of black on black crime which in fact is a racist statement in itself. He himself may be a member of this Black KKK he references in his article. The homicide unit in Florida has reported that the evidence points to a home invasion.

Sean was a great kid who had his property stolen and the bad move was he didn't allow the police to do thier jobs three ago. How whitlock can make that assumption that Sean was still hanging w/ the guys in the hood just doesn't make any sense except the company line.

As a matter of fact I've already glorified whitlock by writing this....**** whitlock!! ...@$$hole!!!

To be sure, there is no hint whatsoever that this was a "drug deal gone bad" and that thought should be stricken from the record.

But for those who think the hip hop culture is blameless...............

Are you taking stupid pills or what????

Listen to the lyrics.

Listen to the interviews, and the lifestyles these guys advocate.

Then get back to me.

Hip hop is not blameless, but black on black crime isn't happening because of hip hop...Do you honestly think that if we get rid of hip hop music, that black on black crime would stop?? Hell NO. It is just like saying that if we "bury the N word", all of the problems in the african american community will go away. They won't.

See I am really passionate about this because I grew up in the so called "hip hop era", and I love hip hop. But I am not gonna sit here and lay all of the blame on hip hop because hip hop has done more good than bad. And hip hop is just not Soulja Boy, 50 Cent, NWA, etc. It is also Talib Kweli, Common, KRS-One, Little Brother, etc. Positive influences exist in hip hop.

I will leave you all with some lyrics from Jay-Z song called "Say Hello"

And if Al Sharpton is speakin for me

Somebody, give him the word and tell him I don't approve

Tell him I'll remove the curses

If you tell me our schools gon' be perfect

When Jena Six don't exist

Tell him that's when I'll stop sayin *****, BEEEITCH~!

It ain't the lyrics killing people, it is people killing people.

You see racism?

Holy Crap, open your eyes. Taylor's murder doesn't have to be a bad drug deal or gang related for Whitlock's piece to be relevant.

BTW, you do know that he's a black man...right?

another verse from jay-Z ( I will edit this time Mods, sorry about before!)

Ignorant Sh*t

I missed the part when it stopped bein 'bout Imus

What do my lyrics got to do with this s**t!

"Scarface" the movie did more than Scarface the rapper to me

So that ain't to blame for all the s**t that's happened to me

Are you sayin what I'm spittin

Is worse than these celebrataunts showin they kittin, you kiddin!

Let's stop the bulls**ttin

'Til we all without sin, let's quit the pulpittin

another verse from jay-Z ( I will edit this time Mods, sorry about before!)

Ignorant Sh*t

I missed the part when it stopped bein 'bout Imus

What do my lyrics got to do with this s**t!

"Scarface" the movie did more than Scarface the rapper to me

So that ain't to blame for all the s**t that's happened to me

Are you sayin what I'm spittin

Is worse than these celebrataunts showin they kittin, you kiddin!

Let's stop the bulls**ttin

'Til we all without sin, let's quit the pulpittin

Please tell me this is sarcasm and you aren't actually trying to make a point with jayz's poem.

Jason Whitlock is once again running the company line.

I'm curious ... what company would that be?

He has assumed that Sean was murdered from some form of black on black crime which in fact is a racist statement in itself.
No, we don't know for certain the circumstances surrounding Taylor's death. I could very well be proven wrong for engaging in this sort of aggressive speculation. But it's no different than if you saw a fat man fall to the ground clutching his chest. You'd assume a heart attack, and you'd know, no matter the cause, the man needed to lose weight.
He himself may be a member of this Black KKK he references in his article.

And we may all just be floating in pods in some alien Matrix. Anything is possible, I guess. But most people at least try to have some basis for saying something.

The homicide unit in Florida has reported that the evidence points to a home invasion.

Sean was a great kid who had his property stolen and the bad move was he didn't allow the police to do thier jobs three ago. How whitlock can make that assumption that Sean was still hanging w/ the guys in the hood just doesn't make any sense except the company line.

No, he did not make that assumption. He used the fact that based on the realities of today's society, common sense suggests it is at least a possibility. And he made that point only in order to illustrate his larger point, which I honestly don't think you grasped at all based on your post.

Particularly this last part:

As a matter of fact I've already glorified whitlock by writing this....**** whitlock!! ...@$$hole!!!

Still curious to know exactly what "company" you seem to think Whitlock is stumping for.

I'm curious ... what company would that be?

And we may all just be floating in pods in some alien Matrix. Anything is possible, I guess. But most people at least try to have some basis for saying something.

No, he did not make that assumption. He used the fact that based on the realities of today's society, common sense suggests it is at least a possibility. And he made that point only in order to illustrate his larger point, which I honestly don't think you grasped at all based on your post.

Particularly this last part:

Still curious to know exactly what "company" you seem to think Whitlock is stumping for.

whitlock is a young african american reporter trying to satisfy white america!!

He to me is worse than the KKK becuase he has no soultuion to anything and always gives an opinion that always put young african americans out there as if there criminals. shall we go on?

I will continue to say that any person who blames ANY music for what's going on in America has no clue. Music does not make me go out and kick someone's ass. Music does not make me go out and shoot up some kid. Music does not make me rob a store, use drugs, call a woman a "ho", or do anything else that might be considered negative in the eyes of God.

Parents are the reason why kids do what they do. Parents must become a bigger part of their child's lives, and if they start to see the signs, they must get their children help. Music doesn't send out messages to your brain making you commit crimes, so stop blaming the artists and start blaming yourselves.

I agree with this for the most part. Active parenting is what is needed to solve the problem. Fatherless kids are growing up to be abesntee fathers themselves. It's become a self perpetuating cycle. This has led to directionless kids who are subject to the influence of these artists and their lyrics. Just look at how attached so many are to ST. Grown men crying over someone they've never met and really know very little about personally.

These kids idolize these artists, who become defacto father figures. Your point is valid as to how to solve the issue, but don't be naive and think these artists and their lyrics aren't contributing to the current problems.

whitlock is a young african american reporter trying to satisfy white america!!

He to me is worse than the KKK becuase he has no soultuion to anything and always gives an opinion that always put young african americans out there as if there criminals. shall we go on?

No he doesn't. He simply reports and opines on what he sees...on what I see.

He didn't say that HipHop started violence or that it's removal would halt violence. Too many folks want a cure-all for what ails them. That doesn't usually exist. There are several factors at play with regards to violent crime. Hiphop is just one of them. It most definately glorifies and perpetuates the problems within the black community.

Archived