Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Whitlock: Taylor's death a grim reminder for us all

MikeB

This is interesting considering that last night during the republican presedential debate the candidates were asked by a young black male what they would do about black on black crime. The answers mostly consisted of better parenting/education, which I thought was pretty vague. I would like to hear that answer from a black candidate to see the difference.

I agree with there assumption of better parenting and education and I will leave it at that. This is nor the time or place for me to eloborate more!

as a older african american i agree with this. we are killing ourselves. it has got to stop

I am African American as well, but what pisses me off about Whitlock and Wilbon is they offer no solutions, all they do is bring out the negativity and feed the monster. They should put their money where their mouth is and start doing outreach and mentoring, like I do. You have to remeber, black on black crime is a form of self hate, how has our community gotten like this? Remember black on black crime was going on way before hip hop became a culture so to balme it on hip hop is a slap in the face of people such as myself because I am apart the culture. You have to remember the self hate we have was taught to us when we were brought her in chains as slaves, it was a way to keep us in line, the Willie Lynch docturine. And it is going to take a lot work to break the chain, I am doing what part, what are you doing?

I was just about to post this,......

I feel for all of you blaming Hip-Hop for this, Imus, Jena, Michael Richardson and EVERY other racial problem in the nation.

I remember Cooley High and Cornbread Earl and Me. I NEVER once heard those movies get blamed for violence on city streets...... (and there WAS black-on-black violence in both...well Cooley High anyway.. )

Folks are blaming Hip-Hop for gang violence in Chicago..... LA.... (Contrary to popular belief;DC does NOT have 'gangs' and hasn't since the late 80's. 8th & H would be the downfall of that.)

Bloods/ Crips (LA primarily) ; Folks/ Disciples in Chicago were BOTH around YEARS before Hip-Hop. Both gained their strength after the dismantling of the Black Panthers in the late 60's.

I guess Hip-Hop brought guns into the 'inner cities'. I guess Hip-Hop brought crack cocaine into the 'inner cities'. (Of course large amounts of blacks had passports and airplanes in the 60's and contacts with South American and Asain governments.) I guess Hip-Hop artist starred in Scarface. (Pacino 1983 AND the original with Cagney) I guess Hip-Hop built Las Vegas, (not the Mafia)... Hip-Hop segregated EVERY major city in the US. (not Brown vs. Board of Education.) I guess Hip-Hop created the noose... and lynchings as well.

I only hope that at some point, people start looking at the Man in the Mirror. and NOT a form of music that is BARELY 30 yrs old. Because drugs, foul language and crime did NOT start in 'urban' areas 30 years ago.......

I will agree with the statment:

There are NO leaders...... (on a national stage)

Oh and i'm black and was for the most part, raised IN DC.... (and i've lived ALL over the US)

I wish I could quote Jay-Z from his song 'Ignorant ****'... (please Google/read the lyrics and hopefully people will get the point of what he's saying.)

You are so right my brother.

thing with Whitlock is all he has done is put down poor black people... he offers no help... he is the black kkk... that mentality has done as much damage as black on black violence has... he only comments when something happens and says, "Those black people are worthless, why cant they be like me"... he disgusts me, and anyone who shares that mentality...

To be sure, there is no hint whatsoever that this was a "drug deal gone bad" and that thought should be stricken from the record.

But for those who think the hip hop culture is blameless...............

Are you taking stupid pills or what????

Listen to the lyrics.

Listen to the interviews, and the lifestyles these guys advocate.

Then get back to me.

My man it is entertainment, like when you see Pacino or Deniro, they aren't mob bosses or drug dealers, they are actors. Why is it that actors get a pass on this issue, but rap artist don't?

thing with Whitlock is all he has done is put down poor black people... he offers no help... he is the black kkk... that mentality has done as much damage as black on black violence has... he only comments when something happens and says, "Those black people are worthless, why cant they be like me"... he disgusts me, and anyone who shares that mentality...

That is what pisses me off, because he sold out. He has become too self righteous, because of his success, he needs to look in the mirror.

Also the mainstream songs are so popular because they have catchy beats so the negative messages in the songs are lost in a way.

Ding Ding Ding -- Big problem with "rappers" is they don't market their songs to a mainstream crowd.

I really like that show the Boondocks because it deals with a lot of these issues. Thugnificent -- Thats all I gotta say :)

Im sorry. But its a bit of a lost cause. Meaning that every living man and woman in this world have their own sense of right and wrong. What i feel is right would be wrong to the person standing next to me.And of course vice versa. Its not gonna change. Its to deep. Its not a matter for me of giving up, Im just being realistic. Hip hop is a factor. Fatherless young black boys and teens is also one. Yeah. I dont have a decent solution to this and I admire people who are trying to make a positive change. But this world is in chaos and its just to big a hole to dig out.

And Im no big fan of Whitlock. Just something about him makes me think of Clarence Thomas for some reason. Don't like neither.

That is what pisses me off, because he sold out. He has become too self righteous, because of his success, he needs to look in the mirror.

selling out is the least of what Whitlock is doing... he is giving the Bill O'Reilys and Colin Cowherds of the world a playbook on how to attack black people now... not only that, but they can now say, "well this rotund Uncle Ruckus looking black man agrees with me"

he is the Black KKK...

I tend to agree with the author of that article on some of his points, but since I myself am not an african american man, I cannot offer any real insight into the thoughts and ideas portrayed in this article. I'd like to know African American Men think of the ideas expressed in this article. What are your opinions?

As a musician, I cannot blame Hip-hop as the source for this violence. I believe music is art, and when you start talking about the censorship of art, you are entering the dangerous area of a "slippery slope." I have seen a lot of positive in the world of "hip-hop." I have also seen a lot of negativity, but I have also seen it in other genres of music.

Music is not the problem. My vote goes towards a serious lack of parenting these days. Parents are allowing their children to be exposed to mature music, and they are not disciplining their children. It's a far more serious problem that just "music" or "hip-hop."

African American men may be killing each other, but we cannot forget about Columbine, or Virginia Tech, or the other school shootings. People of all heritages and races are killing other. It's a much more global problem.

There is no "simple" answer to this crisis. It's not going to be an easy fix. Get your boots on, and make sure you have extra rations, because this is going to be a long slow fight. It can be won, but people have to be willing to do what it takes.

Whitlock is a clown who is on the same level of Imus and Bill O'Riley... he has no message, he says these outlandish things to get a rise out of people

this is the same bafoon who ate ribs on TV... ignore him

I have heard/read Whitlock discuss the issues of race multiple times and each and every time he was quite sincere. He is concerned about his race and he doesn't care about the negative backlash of his comments.

I wholeheartedly say to Whitlock, "Keep doing what you are doing! Don't ever put your head in the sand!" Somebody among Blacks who has a platform needs to speak out and be willing to suffer whatever the consequences may be for doing so. Thanks for taking up the cause, Jason. Hopefully, others will follow.

In case someone is wondering, I'm Black.

I have heard/read Whitlock discuss the issues of race multiple times and each and every time he was quite sincere. He is concerned about his race and he doesn't care about the negative backlash of his comments.

I wholeheartedly say to Whitlock, "Keep doing what you are doing! Don't ever put your head in the sand!" Somebody among Blacks who has a platform needs to speak out and be willing to suffer whatever the consequences may be for doing so. Thanks for taking up the cause, Jason. Hopefully, others will follow.

he isnt concerned about his race... he is concerned about his wallet... he offers no solution to these problems... he says this 'Black KKK' is the cause of everything yet doesnt say who they are... he blames Hip Hop for all the violence in America (he has done that before)... I can go on...

its all opinions, and you can agree wit him, and I won't put you down because of it... but I abhor him and his opinions... I would be happy if I personally did not have to see another whitlock article again

Whitlock does not care. He often says in some many words that we have to give up on the poor and downtrodden members of the black community and leave them behind. That is a dangerous line of thinking and shows that he DOES not care. He is no better than Star of Star and Bucwild fame. Even Star is upfront about being hateful and doesn't hide behind the guise of "trying to help."

I'm curious ... what company would that be?

And we may all just be floating in pods in some alien Matrix. Anything is possible, I guess. But most people at least try to have some basis for saying something.

No, he did not make that assumption. He used the fact that based on the realities of today's society, common sense suggests it is at least a possibility. And he made that point only in order to illustrate his larger point, which I honestly don't think you grasped at all based on your post.

Particularly this last part:

Still curious to know exactly what "company" you seem to think Whitlock is stumping for.

The company line is what the media as a whole is doing, by feeding the monster with negativity. The company line is mainstream media. You know what he meant.

Whitlock does not care. He often says in some many words that we have to give up on the poor and downtrodden members of the black community and leave them behind. That is a dangerous line of thinking and shows that he DOES not care. He is no better than Star of Star and Bucwild fame. Even Star is upfront about being hateful and doesn't hide behind the guise of "trying to help."
whitlock is no better than any of us here

The problem with issues like this is that most black people don't want to talk about our issues when white folks are around. We get real when we are alone but when white people are near, it like lets put on a united front so that we don't look bad. I got news for you, white people see our struggle as clear as day and not talking about it around them doesn't make the **** smell any better. Everybody know white folks got their issues too with racism within their families and such but until we decide that discussing the hate in others has less weight than the hate within us, then we will never truly understand what our black culture is facing.

Im sorry. But its a bit of a lost cause. Meaning that every living man and woman in this world have their own sense of right and wrong. What i feel is right would be wrong to the person standing next to me.And of course vice versa. Its not gonna change. Its to deep. Its not a matter for me of giving up, Im just being realistic. Hip hop is a factor. Fatherless young black boys and teens is also one. Yeah. I dont have a decent solution to this and I admire people who are trying to make a positive change. But this world is in chaos and its just to big a hole to dig out.

And Im no big fan of Whitlock. Just something about him makes me think of Clarence Thomas for some reason. Don't like neither.

Because they are one in the same, they both think because they have reached some form of success, they both have forgotten what it took for them to get there and where they came from. All they care about is getting theirs, nothing more nothing less. Neither one have offered any solutions to the black on black crime epidemic.

whitlock is no better than any of us here

You are right, but he thinks he is. And since he has a voice in mainstream media, he will be heard, where as we will not. So it is up to us to teach and reach young brothers in the community and give them social skills so they can be productive in society, because if you don't know who you are or where you are going you will be lost and society will decide your destiny for you. That's why I mentor and do outreach, but some one like Whitlock and Wilbon, wont because it is too easy for them to bring out the negativity and feed the monster.

Here's an philly article I just accidently came across...

David Aldridge | Time to stop all the dying

By David Aldridge

Inquirer Columnist

If you want to debate which quarterback is best for the Eagles, please, go read somebody else. This morning, I don't give a damn. My concern today is not whether Donovan starts Sunday but whether Dontae down the block is going to be alive in a year. Black men, I need your attention.

This means you, Jimmy Rollins.

Mr. Cosby, give me a minute.

I'm talking both to Beasley Reece and the guy who drives the downtown bus. Will Smith and the electrician fixing the wiring at City Hall. The pastor at the Baptist church. The waiter at the Capital Grille.

The pilot behind the stick of the USAirways flight this morning.

The teacher in West Philly.

The barber in the first chair.

Mayor-elect Nutter.

The 14-year-old who thinks no one believes in him.

The painter.

The convict.

The gay guy.

The sergeant just back from Iraq. The lieutenant who is going next week.

All of you. Listen up.

I'm tired of seeing young black men go into the ground.

Tired of seeing lives ruined by guns, and by drugs, and by bad choices, and by people like me who sit idly by while it happens, because it isn't happening to us.

Rich men, poor men, athletes, beggars, journalists, L.A., D.C., Detroit, Chicago, it doesn't matter. We are dying.

I've just spent two days with the Redskins, who are trying to deal with the fact that one of their best players and team leaders, a young, complicated black man named Sean Taylor, is dead at 24, because someone broke into his home at 1:30 in the morning Monday and murdered him.

There are those, including colleagues I respect, who say they're not surprised, and infer that Taylor had it coming, because he had had a beef with some bad people two years ago that led to brandished guns and cars shot full of holes. And, thus, it was inevitable that he had to die, like life is a Shakespearean play or something. A Montague is dead; a Capulet must follow. It's in the script.

No, no, no. That is wrong.

As black men, we cannot allow ourselves to be defined by anyone - by the media or by ourselves - and accept the premise that one beginning means only one possible ending.

Sean Taylor, while no saint, was not a "thug." He didn't grow up in the 'hood. He went to private schools before college. And even if he was a thug - whatever that is - or embraced that culture during one part of his life, that doesn't mean he deserved to die in front of his child and fiancée, in his home, bothering no one.

I'm angry that people cry about Sean Taylor's death because he was an outstanding football player, as if his death has extra meaning because he had great closing speed. This is not about sports.

We have buried 200 Sean Taylors in this city this year. We don't know what would have come of their dreams and hopes. They deserve our tears, too, for they may have been anonymous to you, but they weren't to their mothers and fathers, their best friends and lovers, their teachers and mentors.

I'm angry that, as of 2004, according to the Centers for Disease Control, homicide is the No. 1 cause of death among black men ages of 15 to 34. I'm angry that the Justice Policy Institute found more black men in prison than in college.

I'm angry that young brothers who like school and want to learn are accused of "acting white," and have to make the awful choice of sticking with their education or sticking with their boys. It happened to me when I was 5. I've never gotten over it. How does one mend a heart broken by those who look most like him?

I'm tired of nodding in agreement as I did yesterday when Brian Westbrook talked about how he has to be extra careful these days, because he knows that, all-pro or not, he's a target when he steps off the field, and his celebrity provides no shield.

"I feel as though everybody's vulnerable, to a certain extent," he said. "You have to watch the company that you keep. You have to watch the situations that you put yourself in. . . . You can't put yourself in a situation where your friends are doing dirt or bad things, and then you hang around those people. 'Cause at some point, karma catches up with you."

We can continue to throw our hands up and blame others or we can stop this genocide and deal with the recriminations later.

In an otherwise demagogic campaign advertisement in 1964, Lyndon Johnson said, "These are the stakes. To make a world in which all of God's children can live or to go into the dark. We must either love each other or we must die."

What's it gonna be?

Contact staff writer David Aldridge at 215-854-5516 or daldridge@phillynews.com.

The problem with issues like this is that most black people don't want to talk about our issues when white folks are around. We get real when we are alone but when white people are near, it like lets put on a united front so that we don't look bad. I got news for you, white people see our struggle as clear as day and not talking about it around them doesn't make the **** smell any better. Everybody know white folks got their issues too with racism within their families and such but until we decide that discussing the hate in others has less weight than the hate within us, then we will never truly understand what our black culture is facing.

I agree with you my brother, that is why I work in Human Resources, and I do Diversity Training and Program Coordinating, and I keep it real, sometimes I am accused of being an angry black man. But I have a cause and a will to fight, because most of the stuff I do in my Diversity Training Classes are issues that make a lot of white people uncomfortable, it's hard but it's far.

This story has a place and time..........I just think the media needs to slow down and let the man be laid to rest before they attempt to destroy his character.....we should be thinking of his goodness and not the bad parts of someone's life who just died...........as people have we become that cold.

Archived