Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Has Filled The Glass Too Fast . . . Way Too Fast

goldenster95

It's seldom that somebody writes so much, yet says so little. You remind me of John Riggins and his radio show...

Not to be a...

but he's right.

Nontheless, I agree with the point.

Really,I'm just thankful we might have a "franchise" quarterback here. When's the last time we even thought we had one? Gus Fer-ouch?

And to all those already calling Campbell a bust, though that might be a stretch considering how little attention he got, just ask yourself: What year would you like to return to then? How 'bout the year we had...Quincy Morgan? No wait, Tony Banks.

Seriously, just having the possibility of a great quarterback in this town is a step up.

That said, I'd like to see what he does with a 6'3 wideout and another season under his belt.

But so far, so good to me.

Very good post!... I completely agree, Jason Campbell is the least of this teams concerns. He has played played pretty well the last two game untill the last few minutes in each. He will learn and we will start getting complete games from him. He does need more help from the coaching staff and players around him though.

Campbell has in effect gotten good very fast and shown flashes of greatness and based on that I think some people are seeing him ALREADY as a finished product. If he's not closing games at 25 he never will do it kind of stuff -- which to me sounds crazy -- but its definitely a thought process that plays off the idea that Campbell is already established what you see is what you get kind of stuff.

Thinking of it that way, those critics on Extremeskins are really flattering Jason. To actually have the mindset that he's a finished product now indicates how poised and together he already is. His critics would say he's not together enough but to even have a conversation that implies that Campbell is at his peak and won't get any better at 25 and after just 18 starts -- yeah I see is partially driven by how he looks like the real deal so often already.

His critics are pretty much nobody in terms of the NFL network shows or NFL commentators and DC media -- his critics really are just some members on Extremeskins so if the glass is half full to them -- and if they feel that QB's peak at 25 and don't get any better, WR injuries, ineffective running games, and O line injuries have no influence on things -- to each their own. But they are in the minority.

The problem with some people comparing Campbell to Tony Romo sits to pee is that they forget that Romo sits to pee has been in the league a couple of years longer than Campbell. He's had a lot more time to develop his game, which is why he was a more ready product.

Campbell is developing nicely. Yes, he's making mistakes. He's going to.

Jason

The object of any empty glass is to fill it, to achieve that elusive and proverbial ‘glass all full’ ideal. When the water is all poured in, the success wrought in its accomplishment bears all too many parents and orphans all its critics. Indeed, ideals are unassailable, and their tangible manifestations are more so. Unfortunately, as someone like Jason Campbell has found out, the stops short of this destination are hardly stations of encouragement.

That’s because a half-full/empty glass conveys a panoply of meaning to anyone and everyone. To some, it’s simply optimism or disappointment; to others, those views are either, respectively, misguided or misplaced. And when the glass is just half-full or half-empty, it’s your expectations and the management of them that will often dictate what side of the line you’ll stand in your perspective of that glass.

Campbell’s case is no exception. And the problem he’s had is not that he’s filled the glass too slowly, but that he’s filled the glass too fast. The glass, in fact, isn’t half-full or empty for him, it’s three-quarters full or a quarter empty. Why? Because he’s tantalized, dare I say teased, us as to what he could become. Like the harlot in the dank bar of a Mexican border town that goes far enough to gird your loins but holds out just enough to stop you from scoring, Campbell has inflated a bubble of expectation in some that the glass would be all-full yesterday. And it is this contingent, the jilted and the scorned, that are now running amok on this board calling for his head. Poor babies. Did the bubble burst too quickly? Or was there really a bubble you should have blown in the first place? While you’re pondering that sobering conundrum, you should also muster a few other thoughts.

For instance, when considering where Campbell is now, never mind the fact that he’s just been given the reins in the past few weeks to control this offense, something that others like Tony Romo sits to pee had been given from Day One. (And for those of the Romo sits to pee comparison camp, you might also recall that when given those reins, he, like anyone new to the position, faltered greatly toward the end of last year.) Yes, one could make an argument that he’s really just become the “starting” QB just a few weeks ago. Also never mind that he’s faced some superlative teams, and defenses, in that stretch. You might also set aside the fact that this is a team game and that his teammates have been, let’s say, a bit short in keeping up their obligations in that department.

To be sure, Campbell is hardly without fault here, hence the glass being a quarter empty. (Or three quarters full.) His shortcomings have been set forth at length by yours truly, others here on this board, and respected commentators in the media. He is, like any other young QB, a work in progress. Yet, by engineering near or actual length-of-the-field drives in two consecutive weeks, on the road, against two division leaders that fizzled at the very end, Campbell apparently hasn’t poured enough water in the glass for the blue balls on this board. Tsk tsk. And like the rednecks that hail from the semi-rural South where I’m from, when the harlot doesn’t meet expectations, frustration turns on the little lady.

Sad, isn’t it? Isn’t this the psychology of the Campbell hate? Frustration, based on fleeting expectations. Anyone start to think that the problem might not be with the lady, but with you?

Of course, Campbell hasn’t filled the glass yet. And he may never do it. If not, he has to go like anyone else taking snaps under center for our beloved ‘Skins. But I’d say he’s done admirably so far, despite some of the warts he’s come with.

And the glass, I really should say, isn’t three-quarters full. It’s three-quarters filling.

Great snapshot!!

The problem with some people comparing Campbell to Tony Romo sits to pee is that they forget that Romo sits to pee has been in the league a couple of years longer than Campbell. He's had a lot more time to develop his game, which is why he was a more ready product.

This point cannot be stressed enough, in my opinion. I realize that for much of the football watching world Romo sits to pee just sprang fully formed onto the scene last year and stunned everyone with his game. The reality is that he been working hard (and I do mean hard) in the background for 3 and a half seasons. Jones had been trying for Romo sits to pee's whole tenure here to find the next Troy Aikman so every year there was someone new trying to take Romo sits to pee's roster spot behind whoever the starter was.

He has had to fight off Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson to even stay on the roster, much less actually start. Both of these guys were brought in and given spots ahead of Romo sits to pee just off reputation alone. Expectations were very low for Romo sits to pee so he worked away in the dark without even a local spotlight, much less the national spotlight that comes with being drafted in the first round like Campbell.

Romo sits to pee also had two QBs with lots of NFL experience to work under and learn from in Bledsoe and Testeverde. Not that Brunell is poor in this regard but he has not been to the SB like Bledsoe and did not play in the pressure cooker that is NY like Testeverde. There was a lot that these two guys could teach Romo sits to pee.

Goldy always had a penchant for putting things in perspective. Campbell's a baller. Anybody denying this simply has no clue. I'm a tad worried about his confidence though. Two game-ending interceptions cannot bode well for the youngster.

Thanks, Hokie. And good point about his confidence, though one of JC's strong suits is his ability to put things behind him.

No one is blaming him for the loss yesterday. If they are, they're not keeping up with what he's accomplished this season. He'll make mistakes...yeah, and even in the future, but he'll learn from them and continue to have great success. I believe he has "John Elway" type potential and every game is going to make him a better player.

No one is blaming him for the loss yesterday. If they are, they're not keeping up with what he's accomplished this season. He'll make mistakes...yeah, and even in the future, but he'll learn from them and continue to have great success. I believe he has "John Elway" type potential and every game is going to make him a better player.

You apparently haven't read some of the posts about JC being a choker and such. Incredible stuff.

Archived