Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2007 will not be 2005

SkinsHokieFan

When trying to asses our chances for the final stretch, I looked back at the 2005 season to see where we were at after 11 games

It is eerily similar, however I don't see the results coming out the same

A few similarities

3-1 start, 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, 5-3. Both teams had chances early in the season to get 3 games over .500 but didn't

5-3 to 5-6, with 3 close, excruciating losses to Tampa (36-35), Oakland (16-13, halftime lead blown) and San Diego (23-17 OT loss)

Again we have had 3 awful Norv like losses in a row

The key difference from 2005 to 2007. We have been losing to NFC and division foes. Currently 5 out of the 6 losses are to the NFC, 3 NFC East losses and only 1 AFC loss. In 2005 the team only had 2 NFC losses, 1 NFC East loss and 4 AFC losses

The difference between 05 and 07. Health and a veteran QB

The 2005 team was fairly healthy on both sides of the ball going into December. Sean Taylor and Griffin were out against Tampa but back by December. Lavar Arrington was contributing and Marcus Washington was playing the best ball of his career

On offense the team had its full compliment of players except for David Patten. The o-line was healthy for the run (until Thomas' injury in game 3 of the 5 game run) and the running game took control.

This year the team is hurt with injuries on both sides. Moss is not the same Moss of 2005, the right side of the o-line is gone, Sellars hurt, and WR's are coming in off the SD reject list

And lastly Mark Brunell was a veteran QB playing some of the best ball of his career.

Now don't get me wrong, I really think Jason Campbell is going to be an excellent QB. These mistakes suck and hurt, but it will be something he learns from, just not this year. Part of dealing with a young QB are mistakes like these, which in 2005 Mark Brunell was NOT making. He certainly wasn't Tony Romo sits to pee, however he was making the "smart" play

So here is how I see it breaking down.

Bills- Somehow we can beat the AFC East this year (save for NE) We win this

Bears- Another close, painful home loss on a short week

Giants- The Giants are fading as usual late in the year (Eli can't play in the cold) and we go up there and win

Minnesota- The final blow to the season as we lose another close game

Dallas- The Girls will be resting their starters and we pull out an easy win but 8-8 does not get us in the playoffs

Of course not. If one thing is coming to light, now four years into Gibbs II is that 2005 was an absolute aberration. A miracle wrapped in an enigma, within the riddle that is being a Redskins fan. 2005 is not what this team is about. We all thought it was but it just isn't. We ****. We are the division ***** and we give Gibbs too much credit for doing essentially the same thing Norv Turner did here, make the playoffs once. Only Norv actually won the division and hosted a playoff game. Whoops.

Of course not. If one thing is coming to light, now four years into Gibbs II is that 2005 was an absolute aberration. A miracle wrapped in an enigma, within the riddle that is being a Redskins fan. 2005 is not what this team is about. We all thought it was but it just isn't. We ****. We are the division ***** and we give Gibbs too much credit for doing essentially the same thing Norv Turner did here, make the playoffs once. Only Norv actually won the division and hosted a playoff game. Whoops.

Eh, I'll give Gibbs credit for that run in 2005. It took Norv until year 6 to get the Redskins to 10 wins, when Gibbs did it in year 2

The big difference going into this December is health and the QB. Both were stronger in 2005

I think you're absolutely right. I see us going 8-8, but even if we manage to go 9-7, we won't get into the playoffs. We absolutely need to win out. And as for the Cowboys resting their starters on the last game of the season, forget about it...They will NOT allow the Skins to beat them like that...We're going to have to play the game of our lives that day (which our guys won't, so it's a non-issue anyway)

I think you're absolutely right. I see us going 8-8, but even if we manage to go 9-7, we won't get into the playoffs. We absolutely need to win out. And as for the Cowboys resting their starters on the last game of the season, forget about it...They will NOT allow the Skins to beat them like that...We're going to have to play the game of our lives that day (which our guys won't, so it's a non-issue anyway)

Sure they will. Dallas knows what the big prize is, that is the Superbowl. You think they are going to risk Tony Romo sits to pee if its a meaningless game for them, just for rivalry sake? :laugh:

If the Cowboys are 13-2, or 14-1 coming into that game with the game having no meaning, TO, Romo sits to pee, Ware, and the rest of those guys will be out before the 1st quarter is done

Hmmm, good points. However, I disagree on a couple of them.

Regarding the play of our QB. Brunell was definitely on a roll that season, he made some big plays and limited the amount of turnovers. If there was something he was very good with, it was not turning the ball over. Turnovers have been a problem for Campbell these past few weeks, especially at crucial times. However, he's also been making great throws and big plays as well. Unfortunately, they're negated by his INTs. But I think over the next 2 weeks, we won't put ourselves in a situation where a turnover at the end of the game will cost us. I think we'll be ahead by 7-10 points by the end of the 4th quarter, not having to rely on Campbell to win the game for us. And I think that for any remaining games that we DO have to rely on Campbell to win, he'll do it. 3rd time is a charm.

Also keep in mind that the play of Brunell wasn't that great during the last 5 games of the 2005 season. He threw for 150 yards against ST LOUIS, 3 interceptions against AZ, had a great game against Dallas, a good game against NYG, and an OK game at Philly. His play gradually declined because of his injury. I think Campbell can do just as well as Brunell did the last 5 games of the season.

Santana Moss was most definitely a better player during the 2005 season. He was our big play threat in the passing game, and big plays every game that put us in a position to win. He hasn't really done that this year. In fact, we haven't really been getting any big plays in the passing game at all. Either Campbell overthrows or the WRs can't get seperation. However, one thing to our advantage this season is our ability to spread the ball around. During 2005, we had 2 threats: Moss and Cooley. Now we've found that Randel El, McCardell, and Caldwell can all make plays. Campbell realizes this, which is why he's gotten two 300 yard games in a row. If he continues to spread the ball and minimize turnovers, our passing game will be perfect.

As for injuries, they've been a factor. We've lost 2 linemen, our star free safety, and our big play WR has been in and out of the line up. But Thomas will be back soon and so will ST, and these are 2 key players on this team. Our defense can handle Buffalo and Chicago, they need to be able to hang with NYG, Minnesota's run game, and Dallas. Marcus Washington seems like his usual self now, and Smoot seems better too. Taylor will be back. I'm still iffy on the defense though, they aren't forcing turnovers like they were earlier in the season. I still believe they can play like they did in 2005, but GW needs to blitz more though like he did today.

He really do see a lot of parallels between this year and 2005, but yea, 5 in a row will be tough, considering we haven't even gotten 3 in a row. This team is too inconsistent to put together a 5 game win streak. One week the pass game sucks, the next it explodes, or the run game is ineffective then one week it erupts. Or maybe the defense plays lights out one week, then gives up 4 TDs the next. It's hard to say. Consistency is key.

This inconsistent bull **** is killing us. Good play by the team gets our hopes up for the next week, only to fall and hit the earth HARD.

But w/e, **** it, ill continue expecting wins every week even if it means I'll inevitably suffer, come sunday. But you never know what will happen.

I really hate when I see these types of posts from those of us who are still rational here. Man, I just really think we have a tough time not losing 2 more, and I really think you're right in that an 8-8 team doesn't make it.

The worst part will be looking back on the season and realizing that there were just a few plays, fumbles, injuries that cost us the season. I'm again just anguishing over the loss of some key player in key weeks. I don't really see how anyone can't say that a healthy Mike Sellers couldn't have converted on the 4th and inches from inside the 5 or that he wouldn't have sprung Portis a few times today.

Just another costly injury like ST missing last week. Are injuries the only reason for these losses, heck no, but they've had a significant impact this year.

Anyhow, good post SHF.

I'm going for 9-7. Taylor and Thomas will be back soon and the one constant in all of his years coaching this team is that Joe Gibbs' teams do a lot better in December. Even last year, we only won one of our last three but at least we were fun to watch again and had a good shot at winning each of them. This year, we still have a much better team than we had last year even with the injuries and I will not rule out running the table.

Of course, with our conference and division records, 10-6 might not even cut it but it will be a good way to build towards bigger and better things.

Unfortunately, I agree ... everything came together perfectly in 2005, and it will be very hard for that to happen this year. If we're going to do it though, we need the running game to come back. Brunell and Moss were playing great in '05, but it was really Portis that we rode into the playoffs.

woah..Taylor missed the bucs game in 2005. I thought he started all of his games since 2004.

I agree with 9-7. Minny, bears, giants, cowboys.....

Actually, I dont what we finish. 5-0 seems very likely, IMHO. Buffalo, minny, bears, giants, and cowboys arent tough games.

We can serously make a run if Taylor gets back and plays well.

I'm going for 9-7. Taylor and Thomas will be back soon and the one constant in all of his years coaching this team is that Joe Gibbs' teams do a lot better in December. Even last year, we only won one of our last three but at least we were fun to watch again and had a good shot at winning each of them. This year, we still have a much better team than we had last year even with the injuries and I will not rule out running the table.

Of course, with our conference and division records, 10-6 might not even cut it but it will be a good way to build towards bigger and better things.

cowgirls finished 9-7 with a 2-4 record in the NFC. they made it. We can too.

I am sorry but I don't want to hear about Brunell not turning the ball over. Yes it is true that he didn't turn the ball over, yet he did not move the offense either by not taking shots down the field. I would rather lose trying than to keep throwing the ball out of bounds all the time. Yes you can employ that strategy every now and then, but you have to take shots. On this very board everyone was cursing the coach and the o coordinator for not taking the handcuffs off the QB. Now look at what happened. The QB hasn't won the games back to back weeks. It is a learning process and we need to get used to it. I think that at best now we are 9-7 team and we are more than likely going to be 8-8. We just have to live with it and have patients.

Archived