Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: TMQB... Advice for JC

Fan4life

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071120&sportCat=nfl

:applause:

Just Run! Score Dallas 28, Washington 23; the Redskins had the ball on the Cowboys' 19 at the two-minute warning. Young quarterback Jason Campbell rolled right and had plenty of room to run for the first down; instead, he forced a pass to a covered receiver, Dallas interception and the rest was kneel-downs. Sportswriters, sportscasters and sports talk radio endlessly pump the notion that, at the NFL level, only passing yards by quarterbacks count; quarterback rushing yards are seen as high school, not "mature" yardage. Young quarterbacks such as Campbell are under intense pressure to win games with their arms, not their feet. But if there is green turf ahead, just run! Joe Montana used to drive defenses to distraction by leaving the pocket to rush 10 or 15 yards, then stepping out of bounds to avoid being hit. It was smart football then, and it's smart football now.

Its good advice. Jason usually has made the right decision when put into similar situations (see botched shovel pass play where he made the right decision to hold on to the ball and run for 1st earlier this year) Jason should continue to grow and these types of plays will happen less and less frequently.

To be honest, it was a mistake that I could see a young QB making. You see a guy come open and you want to get him the ball. The problem is, your momentum is taking you the wrong direction, so the pass ends up being behind the receiver, were the DB can make a play on it. You learn from experience that you can't make those passes.

But, I don't think it is a mistake to look to pass in those situations, particularly to a speedy guy with a step on a defender. There is also the fact that we were out of time outs and things could have been over rather quickly if he got tackled.

Campbell doesn't show any fear in using his legs where it was needed. I don't think the advice was really needed.

Jason

But, I don't think it is a mistake to look to pass in those situations, particularly to a speedy guy with a step on a defender. There is also the fact that we were out of time outs and things could have been over rather quickly if he got tackled.

I agree w/ you 99% of the time, but didn't we have something like 1:30 left?

Rookie mistake? 3rd year in the league and 17th start.

Let's not get impatient.

Hell, good old Eli right across the way in our own division is still making these type of mistakes.

It happens.....Campbell had a great game and the defense let us down. If Campbell scores on that last drive than it would've been borderline legendary, but for this stage in his career I'll take a great game on the road vs a division leading opponent.

Let's not get impatient.

Hell, good old Eli right across the way in our own division is still making these type of mistakes.

It happens.....Campbell had a great game and the defense let us down. If Campbell scores on that last drive than it would've been borderline legendary, but for this stage in his career I'll take a great game on the road vs a division leading opponent.

exactly. and im betting that he wont make that same mistake the next time.

has anyone posted that play. I'd like to see it again to see how much room he actually had. Either way, he had a great game and the future looks good

EDIT: Nevermind. It's at 3:20. he actually didnt have much room. probably would have picked up 4 yards or so. not a 1st. 20/20 still i guess

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80450c79

I agree, he didn't have THAT much room. Looked like he could have gotten about 5 yards and then we'd be at 4th and 5. Throwing the ball was the right decision, it was just a bad throw.

I agree, he didn't have THAT much room. Looked like he could have gotten about 5 yards and then we'd be at 4th and 5. Throwing the ball was the right decision, it was just a bad throw.

sadly, if El would have broke for the endzone, he would have been wide open. Just a learning experience for JC. It was just thrown a .5 second too late or 1 second too early.

I think Jason just wanted to get the ball into one of his playmaker's hands, and obviously, he thought he could do just that. It was a mistake that is made by quarterbacks many times over in this league every year. He will learn from this and will make fewer mistakes as he gains experience. It's tough for us fans and probably some coaches to have patience and not blast away at seeing a young (or old) quarterback make the wrong decision.

Archived