Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: TMQB... Advice for JC

Fan4life

Let's get serious here for a second.

1) Campbell wasn't going to run for a 1st down there. Newman was in position to push him out of bounds a good 3-5 yards before he got a first down, and if Campbell had cut back inside (where Newman was facing BTW) he'd have gotten tackled at least as fast by Newman and/or Ellis, and the clock would have been running. Yes, that's better than the INT there, but let's get serious about him picking up a first down there.

2) Newman made an excellent play. He changed directions with one of the quickest WR's in the NFL in ARE and he anticipated the throw. Sometimes you've got to give the other team credit too.

3) Campbell's read was solid IMHO, it was his execution that was poor. If ARE catches that ball, I think he scores given that there didn't appear to be Cowboys in front of ARE between Newman and the goalline. That's a very difficult throw to make, but if Campbell makes it it's a TD. It wasn't an awful decision, especially if you look hard at the replay to view the field the way that Campbell was viewing it.

Let's not get impatient.

Hell, good old Eli right across the way in our own division is still making these type of mistakes.

It happens.....Campbell had a great game and the defense let us down. If Campbell scores on that last drive than it would've been borderline legendary, but for this stage in his career I'll take a great game on the road vs a division leading opponent.

I'm not impatient...but eventually you can't call mistakes "rookie" mistakes and write them off as such. No matter how you slice it, he isn't a "rookie" anymore.

I am also not saying he had a bad game.

And I think "legendary" is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not impatient...but eventually you can't call mistakes "rookie" mistakes and write them off as such. No matter how you slice it, he isn't a "rookie" anymore.

I am also not saying he had a bad game.

And I think "legendary" is a bit of a stretch.

I think you're mistaking perfection for lack of rookie mistakes. Brett Favre still makes "rookie mistakes".

QB's have to take risks sometimes. We debate whether we like what Jason did with the ball there, but I think I laid out pretty well above why his decision was not a bad one all in all.

Rookie mistake, great learning opportunity. Should have run but oh well, too late now.

Sorry to get all technical, but this is actually Jason's third year in the league. We need to stop acting like he's a rookie. He should have learned as much by now. That said, you need in-game experience, and JC seems to take a lot from every game he plays. I have the utmost faith that he will make the proper adjustments, but let's stop calling him a rookie.

Mhm and I have seen Brett Favre force throws and get picked off when he probably should have run for 5-10 yards instead. Every good mobile quarterback does it no matter what their talent or experience level is. Oh well. At least he isn't some loser like Vick who can only run. Campbell is looking to throw 1st, run 2nd. This time is screwed him over...what happens if Newman doesn't make a great play and Randle-El catches that ball uncovered and streaking towards the end zone? Suddenly he's a hero.

if JC pump fakes, Newman bites, ARE reverses his field, blocks, JC scores

I can do this all day :D

ARE was already heading upfield past Newman. There's no way he gets in front of Newman to make a legal block. And assuming Newman would have bit on a pump, while Randle El somehow knew it was a fake and moved to get in position to block is just a bit silly.

And any pump fake would have slowed him down enough that Ellis would have a shot at him.

Campbell made a bad decision and a bad throw, but choosing not to run wasn't actually one of his mistakes. He gets nowhere near a 1st if he tries it.

Archived