Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blatant clock manipulation(question. Merged)

CurseReversed

THREE times in the fourth quarter after we had completed passes then went out of bounds, they CONTINUED to run the clock after just stopping it for a few seconds. I cannot belive no one noticed this on the field, they literally took 1 mins 20 secs from us on that drive. How can these things go unoticed??

Someone please tell me I was hallucinating.

THREE times in the fourth quarter after we had completed passes then went out of bounds, they CONTINUED to run the clock after just stopping it for a few seconds. I cannot belive no one noticed this on the field, they literally took 1 mins 20 secs from us on that drive. How can these things go unoticed??

Someone please tell me I was hallucinating.

What don't you understand about the new rule? It was explained 3 times.

It was explained to me that, outside of two minutes, the clock starts again once the ball is spotted and marked ready for play after an out of bounds call.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I was wondering why they kept the clock running on a few of those catches which were run out of bounds. That was the first time I ever noticed... shows how much more you pay attention when the game is on the line.

That's such a bs rule. Why are they making rules that don't need to be made? If they're going to say that going out of bounds doesn't stop the clock, they should at least do like college football and stop the ball until it is re-spotted on first downs.

All these stupid rules are ruining football. Also, pretty soon the QB is going to have flags on his sides to resemble tackles.

It's outside 2 mins in the 1st half, and it's 5 mins in the 4th qtr.

Been that way for years.\

There was a time messup, but it helped us. At the 2 min warning, with the Cowboys on the 10. The cowboys did a hand off, gained 2 yards, got tackeled, and got up, all before the clock started.

but considering we hit the FG with 4 seconds left -that worked for us.

It's outside 2 mins in the 1st half, and it's 5 mins in the 4th qtr.

Been that way for years.\

There was a time messup, but it helped us. At the 2 min warning, with the Cowboys on the 10. The cowboys did a hand off, gained 2 yards, got tackeled, and got up, all before the clock started.

but considering we hit the FG with 4 seconds left -that worked for us.

So why didn't they stop the clock if it's supposed to be outside 5 minutes? EDIT: Nevermind, still a stupid rule.

I don't understand what the point of this rule is. Do they want to avoid the delays so that they get to 60 minutes on time or something? They should get rid of overtime too if that's the case.

The rule that Troy-boy was explaining was that when you get shoved backwards and out of bounds, you get the ball spotted at the point of forward progress, therfore the clock does not stop. I heard him say it a few times and each time I said "that's a dumbass rule"

I think refs, or whoever makes the rules, must think every year, "What dumb rule can we think of this offseason to make up for the good ones?"

I never heard of this new rule until today, apparently I must be living under a rock if everyone else has.

I must agree, today was the first time I've ever heard it. I'm surprised I heard it between all of Joe Bucks slurping. Have you ever? We threw a beautiful pass downfield to McCardell and they cut to Romo sits to pee's pass to TO for some more slurping, it's freaking disgusting.

Honestly though, I think he was slurping Romo sits to pee to get to Troy. :D

How about the "it's not an interception if a redskin catches it" rule? That one really hurt us. :mad:

Or how about the "grab the jersey if your a cowturd lineman" rule. I saw Marcus' jersey stretched out more than a few times.

Still We should have won. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory seems to be our specialty right now

This was one of the rules passed several years ago, because games were lasting anywhere from 4 to 5 hours. They wanted games somewhere around 3 to 3.5 hours. Been on the books for a while.

Check out the time section at

http://www.supernfl.com/NFLRules.html

That'll work, but what's the point of it really? Do the networks not get their best ratings when football is on? They should want the games to last longer because it just brings in more viewers who want to watch the end of a good game.

Does anyone else think that games have been getting called against us for the entire season? Or is that just me using my homer-vision?

It's homer-vision, but there have been games like that. A stupid rule just took 50 seconds off for us, and that really needs to be fixed.

I think refs, or whoever makes the rules, must think every year, "What dumb rule can we think of this offseason to make up for the good ones?"

Actually, I'd bet you a lot that the rule was created when TV said "These games are taking 3:15 to play, and it's messing up our schedule. How do we make the games take 3:00, instead?"

Actually, I'd bet you a lot that the rule was created when TV said "These games are taking 3:15 to play, and it's messing up our schedule. How do we make the games take 3:00, instead?"

I'd like to see the ratings of the shows after the games compared to the games themselves, because I'd figure that the actual games get great ratings and, other than 60 minutes, they probably are rated higher than the shows after them. Everybody knows that football contributes a lot as a lead in.

I understand that if you get forced out they can run the clock, but half the time our guys ran out of bounds virtually untouched and they decided to keep the clock moving.

I was flabbergasted.

The rule totally devalues the sideline as they're only saving 3-5 seconds rather than saving 10-15. I don't know why the game length is more important than the excitement of the game itself.

Archived